This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: One day at a time ...  (Read 51447 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: One day at a time ...
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2014, 04:55:54 PM »
Barbara, you are a good friend indeed … I must admit that I try to avoid negative friends lately, even if they are old time friends.  I have enough to do with warding them off at work, and in my extended family.  It's hard keeping that smile on your face, when all around you, people are cursing and complaining and whining …

but on a positive note, my first day of "vacation" was spent with my sweet grandson, and we had a fabulous time!  The hours just flew by, he slept for almost 2 1/2 hours on my lap, I just stared at his beautiful face, and watched the little grimaces he makes when dreaming.  Then we played hide and seek, his favorite.  I just have to sit in my chair and look all around, pretending not to see him, calling his name, where are you … and then looking at him, and he breaks into the most adorable laughter, grinning from ear to ear.

I can't think of anything happier, my life is so enriched by this little guy, and I'm hoping his is by having me in it, too.

Made big breakfast for daughter and me this morning, a loaf of almond flour bread, bacon, cheese, Kerrygold butter, coffee with heavy cream.  Herz, was begehrst Du mehr?  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2014, 05:44:20 AM »
Had grandson most of yesterday and didn't get around to much else.  He's so cute right now, I could eat him … but of course he's not on my diet, haha ...

I've decided to try this egg diet for a week, after reading her research mentioning how healthy eggs are.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto.html?utm_source=I+Breathe+I%27m+Hungry+Subscribers&utm_campaign=646499ca17-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c4c0bd61c2-646499ca17-27615153

She does a great menu planning and shopping list on this post, it should be fun.  This should shake things up a bit for me, and get me into ketosis, if I'm not already.  Been doing pretty good, cleaning out my freezer and finding all sorts of goodies, like ground beef I made back in the spring and froze, also some grated cauliflower, I used both to make a chili of sorts, with fresh zucchini and tomato sauce by Mario Batali … that stuff is so darn good!

Using ground raw or mashed cooked cauliflower is a great thickener for soups and chili btw.  I've been doing that for a while now, it works quite well.

Only one problem, but I think I will be ok with it.  Sunday is my sister's birthday, and I volunteered to do a coffee and cake celebration for her at my house that afternoon, so I can try out that coconut birthday cake. The whole family and some friends will be here, and I will try a sliver, just to know how it is.  Hope it turns out ok., I will be making one for the little Prince the following week.

Today is shopping day, Mom is coming along, we have been holding off on moving her in so far, she seems to be ok just knowing she will be moving, gives me a little ME time, lol.  I have the magnesium drops ready and waiting!

Feeling good, otherwise, too busy to worry about much right now, and that's a good thing!!  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »
Another day of shopping behind us, today the mall for some misc. things, and Costco.  I'm going to make that cake tomorrow, and had to get some ingredients, I'm all set now!

Went to Stride Rite and got grandson his first pair of walking shoes, they don't do the white booties any more, now everything is stylish and sporty and practical. Wasn't sure what to think, but it was hilarious, because the minute the lady in the store put the little sneakers on him, he struggled a bit, because he doesn't like anything on his feet or head, but then I stood him up and took him by the hand to see how they did, and he started laughing and squealing and making talking sounds of approval, haha!  He walked out the store and wanted to keep going, I had to pick him up to take him back, and as soon as he hit the floor again, he turned and walked towards the door.  We got him two pair, one that fits now, and a size bigger for later on.  He's growing so fast, it's hard to keep up. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »
He's on his way!  And so cute.  Good luck with your cake.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2014, 12:32:35 PM »
Thanks Lynda, he really is - has the biggest smile on his face all the time, and he walked all the way back to the car from the shoe store.  We held his hands, and we had big smiles too of course, because it was just so sweet to be walking with the little guy.  People stopped and watched him walk by, and smiled too.  It's so nice to have this happiness in life right now, I make the most of it and don't miss any occasion to be with him.  He slept all the way to Costco and in the store, and on the way home, lol.  Conked out!!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
I tell my son all the time that having him was the best thing that ever happened to me. My life changed that day and it became a wonder and happy place growing up with him.
I allowed myself seeing things through his eyes that I hadn't been allowed growing up.

I just wish he'd hurry up and give me grand babies already! lol

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
I tell my son all the time that having him was the best thing that ever happened to me. My life changed that day and it became a wonder and happy place growing up with him.
I allowed myself seeing things through his eyes that I hadn't been allowed growing up.

I just wish he'd hurry up and give me grand babies already! lol

You do have a way with words, Vibe!  :)

I feel the same way about my daughter, her birth was eye opening in so many ways, but mostly about what it means to love unconditionally.  You would give your life for your child, and now I would gladly give mine for my grandchild.  The love is almost deeper, or just on another level.  I just adore this little guy, and I adored my daughter too.

I never understood how people could say "don't spoil her" by doing something loving, like picking her up if she cried, or wanted to be held.  I mean, what else is important when they are little?  And I've seen so many times, that those parents who didn't have time for their little ones in the early days, are the ones whose children don't have time for them when they get older.  It really is so true, those words to the Cat and The Cradle …

Ok, gotta run, it's been a lovely and busy weekend so far, full of surprises and happiness … can't wait to see what else is in store!

:)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2014, 02:37:01 PM »
because the minute the lady in the store put the little sneakers on him, he struggled a bit, because he doesn't like anything on his feet or head, but then I stood him up and took him by the hand to see how they did, and he started laughing and squealing and making talking sounds of approval, haha!  He walked out the store and wanted to keep going

That's so cute Barb!  You should write that down to add to a scrapbook.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 05:46:17 AM »
That is a great idea Rita, I will do that. 
My daughter sent me this Poem she read last night, on Pinterest … she hasn't had an uninterrupted night's sleep in a long while, because of teething, and still nursing her little guy, so this made us both tear up ... it just describes him so well …

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 09:33:22 PM »
I had too much coffee this after noon, and now I"m up sleepless in Tega Cay, lol!  It's not too bad, lots to read and laugh about, on the misc. forums I frequent.  I also checked my Facebook and found several things I would have posted if not for the fact that I don't think anyone here really cares.  Most people know where to look for info these days, and I think that's great.  I certainly know where to get the 411 and I also have the intelligence to know what's right or wrong for me.  As often said here, we are all a bit different, one size doesn't fit all, and it's important to know that, going in.  If we were all the same, it would be easy.  We try, we stumble, we try again and learn, and then succeed.  I wish everyone here much success!!  :)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:40 AM »
It is because we all have different journeys and take different paths that we need to share what we learned along the way. I've learned things here because someone posted it.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
Thats true, Vibe, I have definitely learned a lot from some folks here, just meant that I share too many trivial things, and it's just not that interesting.  :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »
Well, finally something good to report.  My Mom and I are having lots of fun together, she is being super positive and nice, and we have worked out a great routine, so we get along just fine.  Her surgery is not for another 3 weeks, but it's ok, I think I'm finally ready to retire, and will just let her live with me, and if something comes up, my daughter or sister are ready to take her in for the time I need off.

We had a wonderful birthday party for the grandson, and his Smoosh Cake was a big success!  My daughter did a magnificent job decorating and we had lots of family and friends come to celebrate the little guy.

Life is good right now, I'm realizing how healthy it is to be away from that job and environment, and I've lost 5 lbs in the last two weeks, without even trying.  Just having life turn positive and care free.

The grandson is filling time with extra happiness. :)

Life is good!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 08:19:59 PM »
A little glimpse of his birthday party … it was truly exquisite!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »
Been a long time since I was here.  My computer was having trouble for a while, we had a sewer line break, the downstairs bathroom flooded and dealing with plumbers, insurance, water remediation, contractors … so much work and stress and very frustrating! 

Went to the beach, first time for the baby and lots of fun and relaxation.

Mom has her surgery next week, and has been in good spirits.  My daughter comes by every day for breakfast which is fun, but exhausting.  I fall into bed each night, and sleep like a log. 

Going back to work soon, it will almost be like going on vacation, in some ways.

But look forward to retiring soon.  the atmosphere at work is toxic for me, and I'm trying to get myself in the best shape I can by then.  Been eating extremely ketogenic, true fat fast, and lost almost 6 lbs as of this morning!  In one week!

More later, have to run, but really missed reading and learning … lots more to report, but later. ;)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 11:10:24 AM »
Good to hear an update again.  Great weight loss!  Hope your daughter's surgery goes well.   Good luck with work.  At least retirement is coming up soon!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
6 pounds in one week - that is amazing. Congratulations. *thumbsup*

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
Good to hear from you again, Barb.  You surely have been busy.  Sending you good thoughts on all the upcoming events.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2014, 02:25:51 PM »
I've been wondering about you Barb! Glad you're back.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »
Thank you ladies, I've missed posting here too!  I did come and read once in a while, but never really have time and leisure to post.  These past few days have been a little lighter, thank goodness.  My Mom is doing ok, she will go in to have her first eye done tomorrow, it's almost blind.  I will stay over at her house after, the doctor's office is closer to her, and we have the follow up visit very early the following morning.  Then she comes back home with me.

Dinner at my daughter's house was fabulous, as always.  She made Pumpkin Chili in the Crockpot, and the house smelled heavenly as we walked in.  She had the table set so beautiful, and always decorates the house with great ambiance.  We decided to make some wheat free dinner rolls last minute, and we used my breakfast roll recipe, with a few changes.  They were better than the ones I make!  I took a picture, and will post.  I loved the darker flaxseed, and she didn't have baking powder, so we substituted 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar.

so much for now, eating is going well, I love my food and having plenty of fat is definitely the secret weapon.  I will try to keep that in mind going forward, it isn't always as easy as it sounds.  I had dinner out with some friends last week, and ordered a Rib Eye, with asparagus and sweet potato fries.  I asked him to bring me some mayo on the side, instead of ketchup, and ate very few of the fries.  they were delicious though.  I took most of the steak home, and made a stir fry next day with lots of butter and some cabbage and onions stirred in.

Today we went to Aldi and found a special shipment of sausages came in from Germany!!  We bought loads of the Nuernberger Bratwuerstl and Wieners, and froze a bunch.  Had some of each for dinner along with a cauliflower mash and cucumber ala Tzatziki.  YUMMY!!!!!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2014, 10:00:41 PM »
Good to hear that you help your mother. Let us know how the surgery went.

These bread pieces look interesting.

Your daughter seems to have a decorative talent. This is something that I absolutely do not have. I admire this when women look at a room and immediately have ideas. I only have good ideas when I decorate cakes.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »
Hi Red - thanks for your kind words.  My daughter loves decorating, esp. for Christmas.  She is already planning and shopping for bargains, and is hand painting things for Halloween, to put on the porch.  She's always been like that, I enjoy in how she delights in it all. ;)

My Mom is doing great, I was baby sitting last night, daughter and SIL went to a wedding, so I had my sister pick up Mom and take her home for the night.  I will go pick her up later this afternoon, to stay with me again for the next week.  I've enjoyed some ME time, and catching up on emails, reading my blogs etc.  Found some interesting recipes and have been in the kitchen all morning, baking and cooking.  I grind my own meat, and made a large batch of pork (from shoulder, nice and fat) and beef (chuck roast, fattest one I could find).  Made sausage, chili, froze hamburger patties, and made taco meat, to eat over salad, love that.  My Mom enjoys everything I make, and it's been fun cooking and baking for her.  She eats very little though, so I try to pack the most nutrients into her servings. 

Also made some banana bread, but baked some as muffins, some as donuts and a small loaf form for Hudson.  Just took them out of the oven, they smell heavenly!

Haven't lost any more weight, but maintaining nicely, while eating quite well and lots.  I am going back to work October 2nd, and might try to do another keto week starting that day, to get the next 5 or 6 lbs off.  I like the intermittent fasting idea esp. at work, since it frees me up from having to take a lot of stuff in with me.  I might do some fat bombs, or little cream cheese pots, as a snack.  And the coffee with CO and cream in the morning, fills me up quite nicely.

Will have workmen in next week, to finally get the downstairs room reconstructed.  Everyone is dragging their feet, and I had to do a little screaming with the guy from the water remediation company, I had signed the contract, then he tells me they are backed up and working on 15 other homes!!  Well, he knew I was on leave and had to get this done asap, since my Mom lives in that downstairs suite, and she is camping out on my living room couch, not exactly the most comfortable set up for any of us.  He finally committed to being her on Monday … I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about what I will do, if they aren't here on time.  :|

Better get ready to go, I would love to hang out and chat, will go read all the interesting news from last week.

Enjoy!!

;D

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2014, 11:22:10 AM »
Wow, you make your own sausages. That is great.
I am glad to hear that your mother is doing fine.

I would try to not weigh myself every day or at least definitely more rarely than now. You are sad because you do not loose weight. You will loose weight in the right time. The main thing is that you eat healthier than in the past. If you feel sad, you will not lose weight fast.
Maybe you feel that I have an easy time talking like that because I belong to the "I refuse to weigh myself" fraction.
How about measuring yourself every 4-6 weeks instead of weighing yourself. You will notice even without scale when you loose weight. It is such a cool feeling when all of a sudden there is more room in the clothing.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
Well, it's American sausage, without casings,  I just mix in spices with the ground pork or beef, and then fry up little patties, sort of like mini Frikadellen.

And I'm not sad in the least, you must have misunderstood, I'm quite pleased that I kept the weight off last week, without continuing the keto diet, I was not watching what I ate in great detail, just ate reasonably low carb high fat.  And it worked, I do weigh myself when I think of it, for me it's essential to keep motivated.  I'm in tune with my body and usually know without weighing which way it will go.  I retain water easily, so knowing where I am can help me stop going down the wrong path. 

Not everybody is able to do that and weigh.  For me it's counter intuitive to not weigh, when I'm trying to lose weight.  But you're right, for other people it can be devastating to see it go up, when being so good with eating the right foods.  I know there is fluctuation, and expect and accept it.  I do like when clothes feel lighter, and esp. when I was younger and worked out a lot, I knew that my weight was higher because of muscle mass.  I tend to be very muscular, but with age that also changes, and there is definitely more fat in my body now.

Alas, we all have figure out what works for us, and that's what's important!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2014, 06:02:05 AM »
Oh, I see. So you meant something like our Frikadellen. I had thought you make something like Bratwurst.

Yes, I had indeed misunderstood what you had said about the weight topic.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2014, 07:07:55 AM »
I would love to do that, make some kind of Bratwurst, I do have the attachment on the meat grinder to stuff casings.  I've never done it, but read about it and it doesn't sound difficult.  Would love some of those old fashioned smoked Bratwurst we ate as kids, I think they also call them "Grobe Mettwurst".  We have a German butcher from New York, Schaller and Weber, I knew them way back when we lived in Manhattan, and they ship their Liverwurst and Mettwurst all over the country.  I can get them at the Freshmarket nearby and love them on my home made wheat free breakfast rolls. 

I'm up a little bit again weigh wise this morning, had some late night snacks with Mom yesterday, we sat on the porch until late with a glass of wine and some goodies.  Not something I will make into a routine, but the stars were out and the air so nice and clear, it's definitely getting cooler and we enjoyed thoroughly.  My feet are a little puffy, a sure sign I'm retaining water.

Back to being good@!@@   ;D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:43 PM »
Oh boy, the temp replacing me while on leave quit today.  I happened to be talking to a friend in the HR office, and she mentioned it … she talked to my boss later in the day and mentioned to him she had talked to me.  He asked if I might come in half a day, two hours even, whenever and however long I can for the next few days.  A board meeting taking place October 7th - Germans will be here, and we go crazy!!

I didn't have the heart to say no, but now I'm a bit anxious about what all will happen here at home while I'm gone.  I have two work crews here in the morning, and my Mom here, still needing meds and eye drops 4 times a day.   :-[

My daughter is ready to come over as soon as I leave, and stay until I return.  I am not looking forward to what awaits me at the office, but also do not want to walk into a big mess if I wait till next week.

Life just isn't ever really easy for me …  :o

On the other hand, Mom and I just watched a lovely movie on Netflix, in French with subtitles and she was able to read easily and we enjoyed it tremendously.  The Well Diggers Daughter.  Breathtakingly beautiful scenery, great acting, and a baby that made me ache for my grandson… so cute.  Why can't we make movies like that?  I despise most of what comes out of Hollywood.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
Finally Sunshine here in the Carolinas!  It's been cold and rainy all week, and it definitely influences all of us.  Everyone a little bit cranky and fussy, but they got the downstairs room and bathroom put back together, and it looks much better than before.  My Mom loves it!

I took her back to her house this morning, my sister will stay with her over the weekend, and I am washing everything and putting things back together, furniture, pictures etc.  It will be a lovely and cozy place for her to come and stay going forward.

She did amazingly well by herself in the afternoons, when I went to work.  She sat out on covered veranda, even when it was raining, it's very protected and stays dry.  She can sit and watch the neighbors coming and going, people walking their dogs, I think it makes her feel like she's in Germany, they spend as much time as they can outside in the Summer, since it's so cold and rainy most of the year.

It's been nice to see folks at work again, they really missed me, that was a surprise, seems the temp wasn't very helpful or friendly, which surprised me.  I had a friend email me at work, instead of my private email, asking about the beach trip.  She forwarded it to the HR manager, I'm not sure why, I guess to say - look, she's not on leave for her mother, she is traveling around the country and having fun.  I took my Mom with me, and we did have fun, but I was caretaker too, so not sure what her intention was exactly … I only know because she didn't delete it from my SENT file at work.  What a B…..

Anyway, second surgery coming up on Tuesday, and it will be hectic again for a while starting after that.  Thank Goodness I have my sister and daughter to give a helping hand, not sure what I would do without them.

I'm enjoying a little peace and quiet today and tomorrow, in between laundry and vacuuming, catching up on some computer time, too.

I'm losing weight, without trying right now, I think nerves are working overtime again, and digesting and eliminating food very efficiently,  that helps a lot.  I am cooking very healthy things for Mom and me, she eats very little, so I try to get very nutrient dense food.  Shopping a lot at Aldi and Trader Joe's, mostly organic veggies and grass fed meat.  Made a delicious tomato-meat sauce, and served with rice pasta - never get cravings from those, and so delicious. 

I think that's all the news from Lake Wylie, lol!!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2014, 01:03:45 PM »
I am glad that your mom is doing good and that you succeed with your desired weight loss.
I am sorry if I am not writing much today. I had to move to the shared apartment, and my luggage is heavy. So I feel my wrists now.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
How are things going?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
Quick update:  Our Go-Live at work the end of September was a chaotic mess and we've all been working 24/7, which means lots of overtime and no weekends.  Mom is doing quite well, she was a bit confused about moving back home, for a while I wen to get her on the weekends, but as it got colder, I decided it was just easier to go see her at her house.  Her eyes are perfect, thank the Lord!

My daughter and family are in Chicago visiting his family, and I miss my grandson so much.  Even though I don't see him much during the week, I still get to have him in the evenings and weekends sometimes, so I can't wait for them to get back.  But it's been such an exciting adventure for them, and I get pictures and videos all day long … whatever did we do before smart phones??  I really don't remember …

Diet is doing so so , we are bringing in lunches and dinners for the folks working long hours, for the past two months, and there is a limit to what I can resist right now.  And I can tell… but I am determined to get back on the wagon starting Monday.  Things should be back to normal, or almost, so we can take our lunch hours and get home at a decent hour, as well.

Gotta run, doggies want to go for a walk, and I look forward to that too. :)

Oh - PS - my daughter made me a wheat free Taco Pie, and it's to die for!!  She even made her own seasoning mix, it tastes fabulous.  It's basically just ground beef with the seasoning, eggs and cream, and cheese on top, baked.  It tastes so good, it's all I've been eating since they left.  Breakfast and dinner.  Will have to post as soon as she comes back to give me the recipe.  Also made a pumpkin Chili, and some fabulous Chia Pudding - she's been eating very clean for the past few months, and it shows.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2014, 10:10:57 PM »
Hi Barbara, how are you doing? I assume you still have a lot of stress at work.
You mention interesting forthcoming recipes. How does your daughter make chia pudding? I only recently bought chia for the first time, and when I added chia to bread, I had soaked it before.

My thoughts are with you regarding temptations at work. I have been invited to two pizza events (all wheat, of course), and I ate nothing.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2014, 06:39:55 AM »
Hi Andrea,  the stress is still high at work, but easing off a bit.  I am trying to keep my head above water, and have noticed how very important eating well is on that end.  Motivating myself to stay on the path is hard at times, when surrounded by garbage eating idiots (I say that with the utmost affection … :)

Chia pudding is made by adding some of the seeds to any liquid of choice.  Coconut milk is delicious, with some sweetener, a little vanilla, I think the ratio is 1 Tbsp chia seeds to a cup of liquid, but if you do a quick google, you will come up with countless ideas!

And KUDOS to you on staying strong regarding the pizza parties.  It's funny, the last time they delivered pizza, I was half heartedly thinking of having a slice, it's been so long, and living in NY for many years, the memory had built up in my head, of how truly delicious it is.  The delivery guy was so disgusting looking - I kid you not, unwashed and unkempt, dirty hat on, just very unclean looking - that I lost my appetite!!  LOL - it was a saving grace, but I can't believe they let people like that deliver food.  8)

I am lounging a bit this morning, watched a good movie, called GMO OMG - cute title.  And well worth the watch… it's on Netflix right now.  I will be baby sitting for my grandson tonight, daughter having a xmas party for grown ups, and he will sleep over with his Mimi.  This will be interesting, and I'm resting up, just in case he doesn't sleep.  The nice thing is, she's just around the corner, and I can call her if nothing else works.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
I have a fair idea that your pizza guy might have something in common with pizza delivery guys in Europe.  ;D ;D ;D I will send you a private message.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2015, 03:45:33 PM »
To say I've been busy would be the understatement of the year.  However, I just put in my resignation, I am retiring at the end of March - YAY!!!!!   8)

I feel so good about this decision, and have been smiling ever since.  Things went from bad to worse at work last year, the implementation of SAP has finally smoothed out a bit, and we are working normal hours, for the most part.  I have my Mom with me every weekend, and my daughter and grandson spend a lot of time with us too, so my time has been filled with joy and lots of work.  The holidays were lovely, it's so nice to have that little guy around, keeps us in stitches and very busy, too!

I have missed taking part in the conversations, and intend to be around more going forward.  Once we find my replacement, I will feel better, right now, it's all still up in the air who and what and when.

My boss has been super nice about my retirement, I've been hinting for two years, lol - so it wasn't a total shock, but I could tell he was a bit apprehensive.  We talked about some of the paperwork to be done, and he told me to take as much vacation as I want beforehand, since he thinks they prorate it and I will lose it.  My friend in HR said that's not the case, but who am I to argue?  I put in for Friday off for remainder of my working time, and might take a week at the end of March, if it works out.

so much for that, no diet news, I've been a bad girl and will not elaborate.  Suffice it to say, a new wind will blow come April!   ;)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »
Hello Barb, I've been thinking about you lately...and wondering about you. It's good to see you back!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2015, 10:32:22 PM »
Hi Barbara, it is good to see you back. I had missed you.
At Christmas it was not hard for me to ignore all the Christmas candy. Only once I bought an organic Lebkuchen (1 piece that cost 2 Euro!!!), consisting of 90 per cent almonds. The rest was probably rice flour, but I could not resist. I do not remember exactly.
But right now I find it hard to go past a bakery when they have signs outside their shops showing pictures of all those Berliners, filled with eggnog or cherry liquer jam or whatever. I am not going to give in, but I admit it is hard, and I am wondering why it was not hard for me around Christmas - the essence is the same = sugar and wheat.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2015, 03:07:22 AM »
Redhead,

Nora Gedgaudas wrote Primal Body - Primal Mind.  It is an excellent book.  She recommends l-glutamine, which is an amino acid, to stop cravings for sweets/carbohydrates, including alcohol.  I've taken it and it worked for me.  After more than 2 years of eating this way, I don't have any desire at all for sweets.  With the exception of using stevia in lemonade, coffee and tea, even the most delectable WB type desserts are not even tempting.  I lower the sugar equivalent in most of them if I do prepare anything now.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2015, 04:11:08 AM »
Hi Deanna - good to see you again, and glad to be back!

Today, I have to organize a Meet and Greet with new shipping supervisor.  I will go pick up lemonade and cookies, in lieu of better solution for the afternoon get together.  I guess I could have done something more nutritious, but it's really not worth it.  These people eat sugar and wheat by the pound, daily.  The daily lunches have stopped for now, every once in a while I still have to bring in box lunches for customers etc. but nothing like before the holidays.  That was toxic for me, just too much temptation to withstand.

I'm feeling better already and look forward to some good conversation going forward!!

Barbara, I also lower the sugar equivalent in most recipes, my daughter made waffles yesterday, Maria's recipe, and she was full all day from one!  That's what I look forward to again, eating something and then not thinking about food for rest of the day.

I was going to get "Berliner" or doughnuts, as they call them here, for the meeting today, but it's too much of a temptation. … the cookies are easy to pass up, those filled donuts … not so much!   :(

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
Hi Barbara, I also assume that trying to feed the people at work at healthy snack is not going to lead anywhere. They do not want to hear the message.

Talking about temptation: Yesterday 2 people brought cake for birthday. So much cake. I came into my office, and I was hungry, but I quickly walked thru the kitchen to my desk. Thank God the office is very long, and my desk is very far away from the kitchen. What helps me is that since I have told everybody I am not eating that stuff anymore, they somehow "keep an eye on me". If I ate a nice piece of wheat cake, they would come and say "I see....so it turned out to be too hard for you to stick to your rules. I understand.". I do not want to give them a reason to triumph.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »
That's a good point, they might not opt for healthier snacks.  But I do think if I put out nuts and cheese cubes and water, it would also work.  that' might be my next Meet and Greet, we have another new engineer starting on 2/16 so we shall see!

This is a busy weekend, I've been up since before 5 today, had my coffee, and ready to go!  Daughter has Bunco tonight, she's throwing another friend a baby shower tomorrow, sunday we are going to see The Phantom of the Opera - I love that musical and this is my 5th time seeing it, but it's always new and fun.

Mom is doing better, her back is better, but I won't have time for her sadly.  My sister is taking her this weekend, so grateful for her … and we'll go visit before the show on Sunday.  This gives me a chance to detox a bit this weekend, I'm all prepared and look forward to feeling better.  I had dinner with a friend on Wednesday and blew it big time, but it's ok, just another drop in the bucket, and won't happen again.  However, no wheat or grains, that much I can vouch for, the sugar is a little harder to avoid this time, but it will also be under control soon again.

I will have Hudson later today, and tomorrow I might also have him.  I love that little guy so much, he loves to do laundry and vacuum, not kidding … he brings me the vacuum cleaner when he's here and loves for me to run it, so I can get the house cleaned while he's here and it's entertainment to him. What a kid!!

I also think the painters might show up to finish up the doors in my living room.  I don't think I mentioned they finally came to install the new doors, but they never got painted due to the freezing temps we've had.  I saw the crew earlier in the week working on another house and told the foreman I would be home Friday and they could come and he said ok, but haven't heard.  I have almost given up fighting, and just taking it one day at a time for now … ;)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
Home a little early today, freezing rain and sleet coming down, temps will be in the mid to low teens this week here in the Carolinas!   :o   Not something we are used to, and I might just work from home tomorrow.  Not going out in the mess. 

Spent the weekend with my Mom, slept at her house, her back is still not 100% but much better.  I baked some chocolate cookies for Valentine's day, with Coconut flour and cocoa and Coconut Oil, very delicious.

She doesn't have internet, so I got some reading done, and we watched some Golden Girls reruns, all in all a lovely weekend.

I've been really watching my eating again, very clean and it shows.  I lost the water weight and more.  Feel so much better - why do we ever wander?  I really don't know why, it must be stress. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 10:24:04 AM »
I'm in total agreement with how my thoughts reflect on my health.  Just this morning I was reading a meditation that was directed specifically to a certain part of my body, since all my cells completely understand what I'm thinking, and will act according.  So...for me, no thinking "I hope that cancer doesn't return!"  Instead, "my cells are healthy and vibrant, and loving that sugar isn't a part of my food any longer,"  or something similar (I might reword to keep the negative out of that phrase).  I very much believe our thoughts have a dramatic affect on our well being.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
Loanne, I very much agree with your sentiments!  No negative rhetoric with me - I am usually very positive and upbeat and also believe that what we think becomes reality. 

I have also noticed that greed doesn't work for me.  Trying to be greedy has always had bad effects.  When I give, more comes in … when I try to hold on, it's taken away.  Seriously, I have found this to be true and have many examples to tell about.  For me, it's all about giving, the Universe likes that.  Give and ye shall receive. :O)  Be positive, and good things shall happen.  8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
Another month down the hatch.  No replacement found for me,  we made an offer to someone, but she declined for several reasons, mostly pay and vacation time and health insurance cost.  She is staying in her position and feels better about it I guess.  ???

I was supposed to be training someone by now, but at this point, I really don't know what will be.  Strange things are going on in my company, many changes, but nothing out in the open.  All behind closed doors, of which I have some insight, since my boss is behind those doors.  He seems fine with me leaving even if there isn't someone to replace me.  I don't know how I feel about that.  He might be ok, for a while anyway, but what about all the other people I help an all the key user functions I perform now.  It's mind boggling to just have someone come in and take over without training. 

Oh well.

My Mother had emergency back surgery, they call it Kyphoplasty.  I was sleeping over two weekends ago, and around 4 am she woke up screaming in pain, so  I called 911 and asked for an ambulance to take her to the emergency room.  First the firetruck arrived and 4 burley guys came in and checked her out.  Nothing they could do.  They waited with us for the ambulance, and she was strapped to the gurney and off we went!  After hours of X-rays, morphine, MRI and Scans, she was admitted, and my sister arrived with her overnight items, and slept in the room with her the whole time she was there. They operated on Tuesday and she was released on Thursday.  That was last week I guess … time is just flying right now!  I haven't been sleeping over because there were some preplanned things going on with my daughter, and I had to baby sit with grandson.  I will go stay with my Mom tomorrow, she has been doing better, and I hope she continues to heal.  There were compression fractures, due to osteoporosis.  I was surprised they didn't put her on all sorts of meds, but the doctor actually said give her vitamin d and calcium to strengthen bones.  Pretty sane if you ask me, for a neurologist!

I have been eating much better now for the last few weeks, all just fell into place, once I gave them my notice.  I'm making pork chops or steaks or chicken wings etc, for dinner, and taking some for lunch the next day.  It saves me for when the "bad" lunches come in, and yes, we are ordering in again daily, to feed the planners who have to work through lunch again.  We can't catch up…

One more month is my guess, I will give them the extra time if necessary, don't really mind, as long as my sister is ok with staying with my Mom.  Not sure she is ready to move in with me now, she's more comfy in her own home.

The highlight of my day:  Seeing my grandson.  He is growing into a handsome little guy, so smart and active, just love hanging out with him … never a boring minute!!   8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2015, 06:17:50 AM »
Happy Easter, Wheatfree Buddies!  It's been another grueling week at the job, we found someone now, that hopefully will accept the offer, once our complacent HR department makes it.  Background checks taking up to a week now?  I can do that in a few minute online … haha!

Went to see the Easterbunny with my grandson and daughter on Friday, that was fun, but what a ripoff, lol!  They have a professional photographer, and we did buy the pictures, because he did so well … so many little kids are scared and scream, but he walked right up and high five'd that Bunny and sat next to him with a big grin on his face.  Very photogenic little guy he is, if I have to say so myself.  8)

Cleaned my house yesterday, what an undertaking!!  Had little guy here for a few hours, my daughter is heavily into consignment sales now, and finds the most incredible bargains.  Esp. Children's toys, Fisher Price and Playskool things that are $5 when they cost ten times that and more in the store.  Some are still in the box … cleans them with disinfectant vinegar water at home, and voila, she got a little basket ball goal, slide set, play kitchen, two tricycles, and misc. other items, for practically nothing!  I am sorry I never did that when I was young, don't really think it was quite as common then, but now, every church seems to have them on Saturday mornings, and it sure is economical!  She also is selling a bunch of things on Craig's List, some old kitchen chairs, french doors that were replaced in her home, an old grill, amazing what people will buy …  I might get into that with her this fall.  It's fun and can be lucrative.

On the eating front, I've been doing much better, we are eating very Keto these days, bought some delicious Rib eyes at Costco and froze them and pull one out daily to make for myself, eat half for dinner  and cut the rest up for lunch.  Along with lots of water.  Someone had shared a blog were they only eat meat and drink water, not sure who it was, but after looking at the before and afters of the blogger, I decided that's the way to go for a while, no temptations and very little decisions to make, no veggies to rot in the fridge etc. 

today is Prime Rib and Cauli-Mash and a salad at daughter's house, after a little easter basket hunt for grandson.  We might eat outside, it's lovely weather right now here in the Carolina's, not too hot and not too cold, just right ~ 70s and sunny.  I am making the Chocolate Lava Cakes for dessert, they are heavenly and completely flour less, recipe is saved in the recipe file on this site.

Well, Happy Egg Hunting, Y'all!!

Barb  ;D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2015, 06:22:31 AM »
So I'm finally RETIRED!! YAY!!   :D :D

Last official day at work was April 30, and while I still take calls and email requests for help from the new gal, that will be phased out soon too, since I intend to do some traveling soon, going to the beach etc.  Still very busy with Mom, taking her to the doctor for X-rays and MIRs has been exhausting, she fell and didn't break anything, thank the Lord, but still in pain and taking pain medication, which causes even more confusion and sometimes hostility.  My sister has been big help, so we will all go the beach together and drag Mom along, she can sit on the porch and watch the waves, the warmth does her good.

And I can tell that my daughter is gearing up to get heavily into the consignment thing, she is working at the sales (and I get to baby sit ….), which adds up points or whatever you want to call it, which gives her more resale value for the items she will sell.  I'm cleaning out my house, to see what I can give her to sell, it's amazing what people will buy!  And she also resells things she has bought, like a set of Le Creuset pots and pans she bought for $45, and resold for $150 on Craigs list, which was still a bargain, they looked brand new. 

I want to live a simpler life, with less clutter and stuff  … something that seems common for people who lose loved ones early in life.  I have lost many people I loved, and always wind up saving mementos to hold onto, valuable things sometimes, and some not so much monetary value, but very valuable to me.  It's somehow connected to weight I've read, which makes sense, holding onto all these items over the years could definitely be partly responsible for holding onto extra weight.

Aside from that, I'm just enjoying sleeping in and eating clean, no temptations in my home, so nothing to throw me off track.  That has been so freeing!  I love bacon and eggs right now, and eat that almost daily, also made a very low carb Cheesecake, so yummy and filling, a piece for breakfast can get me through the day until dinner.  I love pork rinds and stocked up at Aldi's - 99 cents a bag and the best I've had, ever.  I make a little dip with sour cream or mayo with a bit of Siracha - so YUM!!

We are planning our Mother's Day menu, daughter having us all over and probably will make one of those Protein Lasagnas from Maria Emmerich's recipes - Keto Adapted - along with a Caesar salad, and I want to try a Strawberry short cake with Oopsie roll recipe.  Should be easy!

Look forward to catching up with the posts here, I still have lots to learn, always!  So glad to have time now, to spend on the computer, rather than sitting in that stinky office, lol!   More later …. 8)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
Congrats on retirement Barb! You will love it. BTW, what is Siracha?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
BarbinNC,

Ditto Deanna's wishes! 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »