This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: One day at a time ...  (Read 52256 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: One day at a time ...
« Reply #250 on: April 22, 2016, 04:32:27 PM »
I was just reading my latest post and see I forgot the link!  Sorry, but I hope you found it on his blog.  If not, here is his latest info from a recent blog post.   http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2016/03/everything-you-need-to-know-about-iodine/

The musical was such fun, I just love her music, Carol King wrote so many songs for other artists, I wasn't aware of some of them.  It's nice to have these mother/daughter outings once in a while, I don't get to see her very much lately, she's working full time now and her hours are unpredictable.  So I treasure any extra time she can give me, always fun. :)

I also love having the way of eating in common with her, and the whole family actually.  I am planning a Mother's Day coffee and cake (will make something keto and delicious …) at my house, we will gather and also celebrate my niece's 27th birthday - that is hard to believe that she will be that old already.  I still see her as the fresh little toddler, who called me Baba and still does on occasion, lol!  Time is just flying ….

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »
Just a quick note to say, my daughter and I have been taking the Iodoral - 12.5 mg - for 2 days, and we have increased energy and well being.  My DD cleaned her house from top to bottom yesterday, she couldn't get over the way she felt!  And I had been dragging for the past week, thought it was some kind of strange detox from the probiotic (even though that made no sense) or allergies, I used to get very tired this time of year and blamed it on the massive pollen that comes down on us down here.  But alas, it seems that we were quite deficient in iodine, and the thyroid just sucks it up very quickly, and utilized it immediately.  Nice to know, and I will keep an eye on it for sure.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 23, 2016, 02:38:04 PM »
BarbinNC,

I'm wondering how many of us have blamed pollen/allergies for fatigue when it was iodine deficiency all along?  Glad that you mentioned this!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 23, 2016, 08:23:30 PM »
Barbara, so true. 

I do still have allergies, but it seems very subdued this year.  My daughter is the allergy queen, when little I had her tested, and they literally called her that.  At age 7 she thought that was funny of course.

Coincidentally - she also gave up dairy about two weeks ago.  Incentive was the fact that in spite of being on perfect diet, she was having intermittent headaches, very annoying, and while she hates taking meds, every so often she would give in and take some Advil because the pain was too much to suffer, when she had to take care of a toddler and work, and keep house etc.  We had suspected weather, hormones, being glutened when eating out, full moon … ;)  you name it, we accused it!  But it didn't seem to always hit, so she bit the sour apple, so to speak (she loves cheese, yoghurt and cream in her coffee, sour cream etc.) and just went cold turkey!  Not one single headache since then!!  I think it's amazing, I mean, who knew?  I realize a lot of people are allergic to dairy but for some reason I did not suspect it with her. 

Well, I am going to bed, I had a full day of sunshine, and feel good.  Keeping watch for detox symptoms from iodine intake, but so far so good!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 24, 2016, 03:55:21 AM »
BarbinNC,

Your daughter might be able to tolerate raw milk products.  This is because the products are from well cared for cows who eat and live in a natural environment.  They are milked in scrupulously clean facilities.  Most of these dairy items are from small family run farms, not Big Ag concerns who only watch the profit margins and will cut as many corners as possible to increase the bottom line.

Many people can tolerate dairy when it is from healthy animals and unprocessed.  Pasteurization was more important before there was refrigeration
and not much thought given to cleanliness of the storage containers.  Boiling the dairy products kills the bacteria, but increases shelf life markedly.   Ultra-pasteurization means the product was boiled above 212*F which effectively kills everything except heat resistant minerals.  Remember when heavy cream wasn't ultra-pasteurized? 

You might want to investigate this option a bit further.  Your area may have raw dairy products from reputable sources.  They would also sell fresh, cultured butter, sour cream from grass fed cows as well as heavy cream and cream cheese and whole milk.  I know many knowledgeable people say we shouldn't use cow's milk at all, but I've found that raw, unhomoginized, unpasteurized dairy products from healthy cows are well tolerated by most. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
Barbara,

thanks for the reminder, and it's a good idea!  I will definitely ask her about it.  I think she's fine with no cream in coffee now, she buys a high grade organize coffee, and puts her CO and Kerrygold in, so that's ok.  I think I will get her some raw milk - fermented cheese, because I think that's what she misses most.  And we shall see!  We have some amazing farms around here, I just never have taken the time to go check them out.  But I have a list - and then of course I have this amazing little gem right down the street.  They will order raw milk products for you, from Milky Way Farm, and I did try some raw cream many moons ago, it was heavenly, but let it go at some point …this was back when I was still working, and it was all just too much to keep up with.   I've been getting our eggs there, and some grass fed meat too.   http://www.peachstand.com

I also found some grass fed meat at my local health food store, they moved two years ago, and didn't leave and notice.  I just found them by accident the other day, in another shopping center.  Had to check it out of course, and found a few things, I absolutely had to have.  I signed up for a membership and get 20% off now, and they have a 30% off sale coming up.  I don't mind supporting these small shops, even if it's a bit more than online.  It's nice to have them right around the corner, I love that place and glad I found it again! :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2016, 05:14:12 AM »
BarbinNC,

See how we are changing and how our food supply is finally becoming "natural" rather than processed, empty calories?  This is happening one purchase at a time.  We are walking with our pocketbooks. 

You are fortunate being surrounded by farms.  It is an effort, a bit more expensive, but so worth it!

I'd like to share a story with you.  Until the mid 60's, my Mother was able to purchase certified raw milk and dairy products for our family.  As one of 5 children, and Grandma living with us as well, we were rarely, if ever, sick.  We had perfect attendance in school and didn't need to go to doctors.  There wasn't medical insurance then and these costs were paid out of your pocket.  Better to eat good quality food than pay doctors!

One of my Mom's friends thought she was "nuts" to pay so much more for these items than you could get in a grocery store for half the price.  My Mom smiled and said: I added up the extra cost of these products and then estimated the cost of doctor visits, prescriptions and even called the pharmacy to inquire about the costs of the drugs her friend's children were taking.  The result was an astounding $200 LESS per year even buying the more expensive diary and eggs. That was a fortune in the 50's and 60's!  We really didn't have colds until the products became unavailable due to lobbying by the diary industry and slowly, but surely we began to have all the flu's, etc.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2016, 05:27:26 AM »
Barbara,

love your story.  My grandmother was also very up on the latest health news, well back then I think it was pretty much handed down through generations.  Europe definitely had a better handle on what was naturally healthy and food supply wasn't yet toxic. 

I remember she was different though, already studying books by a Dr. Schellbach, there is not much known about him, I checked google, but I remember his name well, she quoted him often and lived by his advice.  Healthy food, exercise, walking upright, good posture, she admonished us often to "walk straight from the hip" whatever that meant. 

Do you think we are genetically predetermined to be health conscious and enjoy studying and learning about these topics?  haha ...

Katherine

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 29, 2016, 09:24:04 PM »
Hi Barbara,  I was just reading your blog!!! I just wanted to say hello, not sure if you remember me, I also live in NC, outside of Charlotte. I hope all is good with you!!! I have been following the WB for over a year now, but lately have struggled with the sugar thing:( I think my problem is that I have lost all the weight I need too at this point!!! I also follow weight watchers which I have heard is not a good combination with WB so I have to watch my points!!!  Reason I follow WW is it keeps me in check to not go overboard, meetings are very uplifting!! Do not have that with WB!!! I have not had any wheat, pasta, bread. I also do not have good sleep habits, go to bed late!!! I am dragging most days, I had my yearly annual w ith my Dr, I asked her to check my magnesium levels but she didn't seem to interested, I shared with her that I follow the WB, still not much interest!!! I also have a thyroid condition, well sorry for going on!!! I just wanted to pop in n say hi. Sorry if I talked to much about myself. I enjoyed hearing about your precious family,, you are a very lucky person, truly blessed+, please take care and all the best with your WB lifestyle☺🌹👍
Blessings,
Kathy:-)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 30, 2016, 06:23:28 AM »
Hi Katherine!  And yes, I do remember you, have been wondering how your move went and if all is going well for you. It sounds like you have found a great group in WW to give you support, that's really important, and as long as you can filter out their dietary advice, good for you!  There are more and more people doing wheat and grain free, I run into them all the time.   I actually live in SC, but right across the border, it's funny because I'm at Lake Wylie and my daughter lives right across the border in NC< which is about 5 minutes house to house, lol!

I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well, what a life change this way of eating has been, eh?  I really love it.  I've been gravitating more and more towards keto, which means pretty much losing your appetite, which for me can be tricky, because I cook for so many other people, and while not tempted myself most of the time, it's not as much fun, some how, to bake and cook and then not eat.  But I do it. Time is scarce around here right now, my daughter has gone back to work full time, actually more than full time, she was supposed to just assist her Realtor boss part time, but she is pulling her in more and more, and just recently paid to have her license and MLS reinstated, not cheap - and so now she is showing houses again.  They even started a staging company together, and she loves buying up second hand furniture, and painting or fixing it up. They hired a part time handy man, and rented a storage place and have already staged two houses, that sold immediately.   She also inadvertently got into the catering business, lol … she did one event for her boss at her house, a staff meeting (her boss owns the company and employs a lot of agents …)  and now many are calling her to do events for them, two of which were at million dollar listings, and one of the houses sold during the event - the listing agent was so happy, he wrote her out an extra check for a bonus! 

So all that to say (aside from how proud I am of her, lol) that her hours have gone quite erratic, and since I'm the grandsons day care solution - along with his dad, who thankfully works regular hours - it can mean that I have plans and then have to cancel or change them, so planning things has been difficult.  Today I had committed to stay with my Mom, but she will drop off GS with us at my Mom's house, because she is showing listings in the Cotswold neighborhood, which is where Mom lives.  My Mom of course loves it when her GGS comes by, all pain and anxiety is forgotten, and she delights in his little antics.  My Mom has dementia, but is happy to have us around, so I take turns with my sister, staying with her.  We gladly do this, I feel so much better since I retired, and all I have to do is think back to the company I worked for, and feelings of gratitude go out to the Universe, for allowing me to stay home and take care of those I love, without stress and anxiety. 

Thanks again for writing, so nice to hear from you, stay in touch, and tell me more about your success story, we can never get enough of positive reinforcement!!  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
Happy MOther's Day everyone!!  I had my biggest gift yesterday, got to spend it with daughter and grandson, is there anything more fun in the world?  We went to a few open houses she wanted to see and then checked out some that looked interesting to me, for possible move, but nothing looked perfect.  And it would have to be perfect for me to move again.  I love were I live now, but will definitely downsize one more time, when the time comes.  I find those small houses that you park in the backyard of a child interesting, so does my daughter, and that might be our solution depending what shape I'm in.  Of course we all hope we can go strong for many years, but who knows …

We also went out to dinner, and had so much fun,  the little guy is just so sweet right now, talking and so polite, everything is please and thank you, and he likes to show off good table manners, like wiping with his napkin, of course then throwing it at us, for kicks, lol!

We finally made it to that Wellness Center, they did a talk and dinner on Thyroid and Metabolism, and we signed up for consultations.  Have to get my medical records transferred, and look forward to hearing what they say.  Everything they talked about is just what we are doing, the dinner was green salad, roasted sweet potatoes, chicken skewers and sautιed salmon.  I was impressed.  Will follow up with info, once we are in treatment.

Last Sunday we did another fun thing together, painting class called Wine and Canvas.  We did a pretty good job, I love painting, mostly water color, but this was cherry trees in full bloom, the colors are lovely, and she hung hers in her office, I am putting mine above my bathtub, it is peaceful and invigorating at the same time and I see it every time I go in there, it makes me smile.  Funny story about this class:  the artist/teacher mentioned that she was a stand up comedian, and we asked her where she did her show.  She told us, and at the end of class, someone said = can you do a little bit of your routine?  She said sure, and started in on this very very off color comedy routine, that had a lot of us cringing a bit … her name is Rachel Woodhouse, I looked her up and she's an actress/comedian and looks like making some extra money with this teaching art class.  She was good at that, but the other … well, lets say I'm not going to be seeking out her show.  And I'm no prude ... ::)

Today everyone is coming to my house for coffee and cake, we are celebrating Mother's Day of course, but also my niece's birthday, which was actually 4/21 but she was out of town.  I am really looking forward to this, as I made a superb chocolate cake recipe by our Gourmet Girl Cooks, easy and delicious.  Same one my DD made for my birthday a month ago.  I will post it with some pics later on in recipe file, this is a definite keeper, and sure attention getter.

Have a wonderful day, all!!   :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 08, 2016, 08:15:06 AM »
Found this on Facebook this morning - my daughter had shared it and it has me in tears … so heartfelt and true - to all the Mothers out there!!
[/size][/color]
[/size]What is a mother?[/color]
[/size]A woman who dreamed of you before you were. Who loved you before you had a name.[/color]
[/size]A woman who when you finally arrived, sat with you in the night, her face shining in moonlight as she dripped milk into your small, wriggling body.[/color]
[/size]A woman who sleeps with one eye open, never falling deeply into the recesses of REM without a method for quickly climbing out upon hearing her name called in the dark.[/color]
[/size]In the night she shuffles, up and down hallways, consoling, promising, begging, bargaining, and tapping small pajamaed backs until her arms go numb, driven by nothing but love and dedication to the child she dreamed of all those weeks ago.[/color]
[/size]But what is a mother?[/color]
[/size]She’s a person who puts her needs last and is only as happy as her saddest child. To the untrained eye, her crown in an unwashed ponytail, and her garments: unimpressive and dingy. But to the little one at her feet, she wears a glittering crown of gold, diamonds, and rubies and a soft, cashmere robes in which her child can bury their face and hide from the world.[/color]
[/size]A woman who pours herself into raising a child. She sits by the side of the bed, listening to him cough and her body stiffens with fear as she checks his temperature. She sits in the green grass watching her daughter spin and spin, her sundress twirling into a tulip bulb and her face turned up toward the sun. She hugs her child tightly, trying to breathe him in and freeze the moment and remembers hearing his heartbeat for the first time. She stands at the sink in the afternoon, one hand on her face as a tear slides down her cheek- she’s tired.[/color]
[/size]And then just as she reaches her breaking point, her child wraps their little arms around her neck and out of the cracks in her soul, a new love drips- thick, sweet and sticky like honey, a portion just big enough to make it to bedtime.[/color]
[/size]When her young is finally breathing deeply and steadily, she falls upon her fortress of pillows and sighs.[/color]
[/size]She slips off into dreamland, giving her body and mind much needed rest to do it all again tomorrow.[/color]
[/size]What is a mother? A mother is love eternal.[/color]
[/size]Happy Mother’s Day.[/color]

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 21, 2016, 07:46:36 AM »
I had dinner with two friends Thursday evening.  One of them is the friend who last year had to stop taking her Statin drug, because she had so much pain in the back of her legs, she couldn't walk.  The doctor wanted to switch her to different statin, but after reading some of the articles I had sent her, she decided to forgo it altogether, and started herself on the CoQ10 I told her about.  Sadly, after seeing some more doctors and specialists, she has been convinced that she is suffering from RA, and is on steroids and immune suppressants.  She walks like an old woman (she is a year younger than I am, 62) and has reddish/purple blotches on her skin.  She looks ill.  As I mentioned last year, I had immediately started a campaign of trying to get her to stop eating grains, esp. wheat.  Knowing she is not much of a meat eater, I sent her recipes and site links, to help her.  I went to eat with her twice after that, and each time she ordered pasta.  I had her over for dinner around Christmas, and bought gluten free pasta to serve her, and we laughed about that.  But I knew she was not changing her diet, she never liked cooking, so it was a bit hopeless, and I gave up talking about it.  She ordered a steak and shrimp for dinner this time, but ate a lot of the bread that they brought out with our drinks.  I felt her looking at me when she reached for it, out of the corner of my eye, but didn't look at her, I was talking to the other friend, both across from me, I just didn't want to get into any kind of discussion about it, and we did not touch on the subject.  I just asked her how she was feeling and she said that the meds were helping, and I said - that's good.  She only ate about a quarter of her steak ...

Really makes my heart heavy …

On a brighter note, my grandson is just radiating health, and I am so incredibly grateful for that.  He is strictly gluten free, and we know when he gets glutened, he gets little eczema circles on his cheeks. My daughter took him to dinner with another friend and her two year old son, they ordered pizza, and they offered a gluten free one for him, so he wouldn't be tempted to try the other child's pizza.  They asked if he was celiac, and she said he does have symptoms.  They changed gloves and proceeded to make his, and it was quite tasty, he ate the entire 6 inch pizza!  And he had no circles the next day.

I have hope, that things are changing for the better.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 21, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »
I am happy to hear about your GS!

My dance teacher tells everyone she lost her weight from cutting out gluten, but she is standing there eating pizza, or a sandwich......we remain committed, but I love to cook, and I am VERY familiar with food ingredients, so I do not find being grain free that difficult, where others seem to find it impossible.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2016, 04:33:44 AM »
Hi Greentree,

If you have access to older cookbooks or even time to browse recipes on line, you will find many delicious ways to prepare foods without the addition of sugar, wheat/grains and chemicals so prevalent today.  Most recipes can be adapted using a very small amount of approved sweeteners, starch as a thickener or even nuts ground into a paste.  A good cook knows that your raw ingredients must be the freshest and best quality you can possibly afford.
Most often, dried fruit was used as a subtle sweetener because sugar was unavailable or just too expensive for everyday use.

Funny how the definition of "best" now reflects on the time tested way of raising and feeding animals/seafood and produce rather than the new methods
encouraged by Monsanto and Friends.  Our ancestors would be bewildered with our new vocabulary of "wild, organic, non GMO, chemical additives and stabilizers and colorings." 

City food markets historically sold the freshest food to the restaurant owners, caterers and grocers, followed by the servants or the well heeled.  By the afternoon, the middle class, poor and boarding house cooks purchased whatever was leftover at greatly reduced prices.  In the days before refrigeration was available, food had to be cooked immediately before turning rancid.   

It just defies logic that chickens can be raised in this country, shipped to China and back for processing and then sold to us as "fresh".  How can this be profitable with so many workers, transports and processes between the farmer and consumer?  The answer has to be that each step of the way, costs are cut.  By the time you purchase it, the food is old, treated with various chemicals so it doesn't seem as rancid and grown by artificial means to increase production faster than nature intended. 

Basically, this means that unless we grow our own or purchase organic, grass fed, pastured foods, we are eating substances like the poorest people did in the years before refrigeration.  No amount of culinary skill can change that. 

Greentree, you are seeing the results of your efforts.  Those people who just jump on the gluten free bandwagon but don't understand the glycemic values will not see much in the way of benefits.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
Thanks Greentree, I'm the same way, once I made the decision to go grain free, I just went about gathering the ingredients and finding recipes for things we missed, and that was it!  I do think it helps a lot, to have been a good cook and baker previous to going grain free, the experience does come in handy. 

I was thinking about my friend a lot since our dinner, and I actually feel very sorry for her.  I don't really think she's unwilling, but unable.  If someone would do all the work for her, I believe she would be happy to eat whatever someone made for her, but it's just not in her to start doing this now.  I think we are just fortunate in this group, and other groups that gather to support and share information, that we are able to absorb and willing to put it in action.  Not sure, but that's how I see it right now.  Some people are just not willing to do the work, or don't have the mental capacity to do the research etc.  I do spend hours reading and learning, and have spent money on things that in retrospect were not exactly what I would call healthy, because I was lead to think they were.  We make mistakes, and then we just have to regroup and admit that we went astray.  It happens, the important thing is to keep growing and learning, and listen to our bodies.  That one is not easy in this noisy world we live in, with all the distractions. 

Barbara, you make good points here.  This brought to mind the recent frozen food recall, and how vulnerable we all are, at the mercy of the food producers to keep things clean and healthy for us.  At times, when I'm shopping, I look at those so called organic veggies in my cart, and wonder, are they really?  How can we truly know?  Is anyone really overseeing these farmers/producers and if so, how can they keep check of it all?  I have no answers, but just have to trust and have faith.  What else can we do, unless we have the resources and land to produce our own.

We've all been under the weather this week, it started on Sunday morning, with GS and some projectile vomiting in the car on the way to a birthday party … he had no fever and seemed in good spirits, so she cleaned him up when they got there (the other Mom was not concerned …)  he played and ate and drank, and on the way home, it all came up again.  Still no fever, no signs of being ill, he drank water galore, and then at 10 pm … more of the same.  I had him every day this week and then yesterday, my daughter started in, no vomit, but diarrhea and nausea, and she got very dizzy and thought she might be fainting.  I packed up the little guy and drove straight over to their house, she was in bed and looked a little feverish.  Gave her some Motrin and she felt better after that.  I woke up last night, had diarrhea and nausea, and spent today just moping around, but it's not really like being sick, just worn out and fatigued.  I guess it must be a stomach bug of some kind.  I blamed that pizza he had, who knows what was in there, but then why would we get it … I guess contamination.  Oh boy, then the dog also did his business in the house yesterday, while we were there.  Daddy cleaned that up while we played outside, and I was done with it, and went home.

That's how fast things can come out of the blue!  At least it looks like everyone is better, as they get ready for their road trip, they leave tomorrow around noon, going to Chicago and then heading up to Michigan.  I just hope they are safe, hate that they are driving on a holiday weekend, but what can I do. :(

I will be spending the week at their house, taking care of the dogs.  I'm going to a cookout on Monday, and it shouldn't be a problem, I am making a cauliflower salad to bring along, and there will be plenty of meat, I'm sure. 

And so it goes … wishing all a happy Memorial Day!

5/27/16 - edited to fix some typos and mistakes, I blame the brain fog due to illness. 
Have to also add, that while we don't feel great, I think our immune systems are dealing with this quite well, daughter was up and about yesterday, had just a bit of fatigue, and I am feeling really good this morning, but still quite watery diarrhea … sorry if TMI - I'm wondering if it's a touch of the listeria? We do use a lot of frozen organic veggies … so who knows, we all walk around with these bacteria in our gut, just have to make sure we have lots of the good ones to crowd out the bad ones!  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 29, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »
Daughter and family arrived in Chicago safe and sound … GS is having a ball, and all is happy there!  My sister called this morning and said I didn't have to come into city today, since it's raining, she would stay with Mom and we are all getting together tomorrow anyway … so I had some unexpected time off - always lovely, and I put it to good use, watched a great documentary, called Sugar Coated on netflix, really recommend it if you can catch it.  And catching up with some reading.

I'm using this alone time to also fast for longer periods, and try to get my BG down.  I have been checking it daily for the past month, and it's gradually getting better.  The readings are normal for someone with insulin resistance, according to Dr. Fung.  The best way to get the insulin receptors more sensitive again, is to fast.  And it's working.  Yesterday I saw a number I hadn't seen for a while … 84!  Loved that, and the morning number, after fasting all night, was really high for a while, that one is coming down too.  It has to do with something called the Dawn Phenomenon and is well explained here.  https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/dawn-phenomenon-t2d-8/

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
Congrats on the lower blood glucose!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 01, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
Thank you, Rita!

I think I do better with some carbs at night, nothing starchy or sugary of course, but a few veggies or berries seem to make the morning reading lower … have to do more studying, but seems the liver is dumping sugar in the predawn hours, if one goes keto and is insulin resistant.  I think I got that right, but have to really check it out more.  But yes, I'm getting lower readings in general, so that's a good thing.  And tummy also deflating at the same time, I still had some belly fat, and it's definitely shrinking too. ;)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 12, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
So much going on right now, but I'll spare you the long vent… suffice it to say, all is well now and I'm getting back to my routine.  Weather is crazy hot, going to hit 100 degrees here today, and I will be at my Mom's house, who hates air conditioning, yikes.  I might have to take a small fan with me … oh - that's a brilliant idea!  DD has a baby shower planned for a friend, this coming Saturday.  I will make my famous diaper cake for her, and taking the diapers with me to roll this afternoon. 

I'm doing really well with the iodine protocol, it's a life saver for sure - someone in another group had poison ivy and put iodine on it, because none of the well known remedies was helping her, and she hadn't slept in almost 7 days.  It immediately brought relief and popped the blisters, helping to start the healing.  I was stung by a Wasp last week, stepped on it and it hurt like heck … put some iodine on it right away, and the pain  was gone like that - POOF!!  A week later, the spot started itching, (and it's painful when the bottom of your foot itches if you ever had mosquito bite there, you know …) and so again I painted the spot with iodine, and immediately the swelling and itch/pain were gone.  Nothing since then, the spot is completely clear.  I have more anecdotal stories, but to make a long post short, iodine is nothing short of a miracle.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 16, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »
Hi Barb, is your iodine clear instead of red/orange like it used to be? I got some recently to try as an ingredient for a home remedy for DH's toenail fungus...unfortunately it hasn't worked for that yet.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2016, 04:46:37 AM »
Hi Deanna, no my iodine is not clear, it's the dark brown color.  The protocol I follow only uses the old french formula named after it's inventor, Lugols.  It's available on amazon or ebay, and the is composed of both iodine and iodide.  I'm not sure what the clear liquid you might have, is composed of.  Does it say?  Lugols comes in 2% and 5% (and other) strength.  I have both of them.  There are also pills, and I have those too.  Mine are Iodoral, there are also others, Stephanie Buist sells some called Lugo-Tabs.  There is a while protocol to follow, to make sure detox is handled well.  The halides you set free in the body, when you start taking Iodine, are pretty powerful and can cause all sorts of aches and pains, if you don't use the salt water to flush them out.  High doses of vitamin C are also necessary - taken apart from the iodine.  The other nutrients are Magnesium (I take apart from all others, at nighttime) Vitamin B complex.  Extra B vitamins are used as cofactors, if needed.

Are you interested in taking iodine?  I would be happy to email you or anyone else the guide to supplementation, I asked Stephanie if that would be ok, and she said yes.  Let me know if you need more info!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »
I have been feeling a little "depressed" this past week … nothing terrible, just this sadness in general, I think it was partly what's going on in the world, Orlando is not a place I want to visit any time soon, such horror.  Then there was another report on the news that shocked me terribly - a friend's daughter while DUI hit a car in front of her, and they both spun out of control, and the driver of other car was killed - a beautiful young woman.  They showed her mugshot in an orange jumpsuit and it really jolted me, I had no idea she had so many priors, you just never know what goes on behind closed doors.  The 2 year old that was dragged into the lagoon by the alligator was the last straw, and I just had a big crying jag, I just can't imagine, how could we even go there in our minds.  It's incomprehensible, as a parent.

But today the sun is shining here, temps are in the low 80s, and life goes on.

I did something really stupid last night.  :(  I decided to fall into some snacks I have on hand for GS.  They are organic fruit snacks, like gummy bears.  In little packs.  I had quite a few of them, my only excuse is, I felt so down, I just had to have a pick me up and didn't want to drink.  My brain was not involved, at least not when I opened one pack after the other, and chewed them with complete pleasure.  (which reminds me I really have to make myself some low carb gummies with my grass fed gelatin.)

So, here the story:  once the shock of what I had just done set in, I grabbed my glucose meter, and decided to at least make an experiment out of my faux pas.  My BG has been under 100 pretty much all day and somewhat higher upon waking in fasted state, but an hour after ingesting these little suckers, it was …. 269!!!  I did another test just to make sure that wasn't a mistake, and it read 264.  I swallowed hard and promised myself I would NEVER do that again.  This was at 6 PM … at 7:30 pm it was down to 208.  at 8:15 it was 128.  I went to bed, thinking it had settled in and was going down, and it sure did.  Around 9:15 I started getting the shakes, I knew that feeling, and did another test and it was 62… I went to get some salami and a tomato and some mayo, and felt better soon after.  I also drank some beet juice, which I have been drinking just little bits mid day with my iodine and selenium drops.  So I tested again around 11 pm and BG was at 114. 

I don't quite know what all this really means, but have been reading up on hypoglycemia, and insulin resistance again, and guess I really am still quite so.  There is no cure, the only way to keep it in check is our woe, and I am quite sure I won't be falling off the wagon like that anytime soon.

I am also not going to give the GS those gummies any more, they do have sugar, even if it's organic, it's too much for his little body.  Can you imagine what some kids get as far as sugar is concerned, in a day?  If they start with sugar and toast and jelly, candy, protein bars, fruit and juice … I'm kind of glad this happened, it really is a good reminder that while we might be feeling much better, we are only a few bits of sugar away from bringing back a load of problems!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2016, 06:44:09 AM »
BarbinNC,

It takes years for organs to regenerate.  Every pre-probiotic, every low carb meal, every herbal/nutritional supplement. every glass of water all adds up and makes your body work better.  Don't get discouraged.  Everyone reaches a plateau and then there is a breakthrough.  improving your health just takes longer when you are older.  You just keep eating real, nutritionally packed food in a balanced manner and keep your cells cleaning themselves and regenerating.

I look at my peers and they are overweight, sallow complexioned, usually in sour moods and making very poor decisions.  In my own family as well.  Some still laugh at me because they say our government would not allow poisonous or unhealthy food to be sold!  After all, Costco rotisserie chickens are just delicious!   Smithfield pork products, even owned by the Chinese who are masters of CAFO, are yummy!  Every few months I hear of someone diagnosed with yet another health issue.  I learned to pat, hug, sympathize and avoid talking about the way I eat. 

Now, 3.5 years into this way of eating, my personal health is getting better at what seems to me to be a glacial pace.  For instance, my sinuses are much less swollen and I hardly react to sunlight or pollen anymore.  This means I'm not taking Benedryl or Advil.  I still use herbal/homeopathic nasal sprays but not nearly as much as I used to.  What a relief not to have those miserable sinus headaches all the time!  CVS keeps sending me emails with steep discounts because they miss me! 

Everyone has lapses and binges.  The fact that you actually do something about it is what will help continue your recovery in health issues.  Give yourself a pat on the head and continue this woe.  Your overall sugar issues are getting better, not worse, even if you have lapse because 99% of the time you are eating very low carb.  Your pancreas isn't working on overdrive all the time.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 21, 2016, 03:24:20 PM »
Thank you for your thoughtful words, Barbara.  And you are right (you always are lol) that one slip up isn't the end of the world, it's just a slippery slope and I know if I don't catch myself immediately, it can turn into a few weeks of free for all.  That's what sugar does to me.  But I did catch it, and it was because of the blood glucose meter readings, those numbers really shocked me back to reality, and I'm glad I had it on hand, and enough strips left to do the readings.  I'm out of strips now and haven't made it to the store to refill, but intend to do that tomorrow morning.  I did have some cravings, but not for sweets.  I made myself a big batch of that cabbage and bacon we talked about on another thread, it has enough fat to satisfy me and fill me up.  And lots of water, and my supplements, all help to get rid of those thoughts of anything bad.  I didn't even have dessert this weekend, made the chocolate cakes and some strawberries and cream for the family, but I was too full to actually want any.  Going to keep it nice and simple for a few weeks, and try to get back to my IF eventually.

Came across this new video by this guy I know from Facebook, he is such a sweetheart, really just the nicest guy and so generous with his information and experience.  I love learning more about healthy eating and getting my body back to optimal function.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7tWMF0k2A    How to eat to your meter.  Answered a lot of my questions.  Also watch his story, how keto saved his life, if you have time.  Actually, watch them all, lol!!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:11 AM »
It's been a hectic week, we had a big pool party at daughter's house yesterday, and I'm having the family festivities at my house today … just made a big bowl of cauli-salad, and it turned out fabulous, even if I have to say so myself.  Grilling hamburgers later on and also deep frying some chicken wings (check out "Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off on youtube for his no batter recipe, I've made this a few times now and it is OMG so delicious - I use coconut oil instead of lard!!!)  and making a big bowl of endive salad.  Slicing up some yummy tomatoes and red onions, and all the other stuff you need for a juicy hamburger.  Might make some buns - although we don't really need them -, and a lightweight dessert, probably something chocolate, since I can't use dairy … looking at recipes right now, and thought I'd see who is here, not much going on - guess everybody is busy celebrating the long weekend - HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY - y'all!!   ;D

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2016, 08:47:59 AM »
I'm here.  Sounds like you're having fun!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2016, 09:32:32 AM »
Hey Bill!    We had a blast, hope you did as well.  Fire works and all …  8)

I am having an unexpected "day off" and catching up with some of my reading.  For those interested, I found this in Stephanie Buist's blog, she offers her guide to supplementing iodine here, for all to use and hopefully it will help some who are looking for info.  Doctors don't seem to be up on this important element, but I guess most main stream docs just aren't into nutrition and supplements period. 

http://steppingstonesliving.com/the-power-of-iodine/

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »
I started the grandson on iodine and the supplements yesterday.  Well, his Mom already had him on most of the sups, I just added selenium and making sure he gets enough real salt.  His energy was through the roof in the afternoon, I couldn't believe it!  And he started counting on his fingers, had never seen him do that, lol.  I know it's probably just a coincidence, but it seemed like he literally had this iodine absorb into his body, and make it go "BOING" haha …

Getting read to head for Mom's today, same old, same old.  But I had to stop in first to copy and paste a post from Facebook group here, that I found very inspiring. The poster said he did not mind if we shared other places, so I thought I would put it here, and I can reread when I need to, also.  It's so simple, when we don't try to make it complicated.  Some good reminders for all of us ….: 

I am a long-time ketogenic eater, a 100-lb loser, a person who has devoted 1-2 hours a day reading keto related information - every day without fail - for almost 3 years, an experienced admin in low carb Facebook groups and a general keto groupie. Keto has changed my life. I love keto for myself, and I'd bet big on it being good for you too...
[/size]And as I read through the posts here, I see so much awesomeness happening to lots and lots of people. But I also see a lot of struggle and strife where I'm not sure it needs to exist. I'd like to address some of my concerns here, not as a group admin or an expert or anything like that, but just as a concerned citizen of Planet Earth looking to help someone. And maybe this post pisses 99.9% of you off. That's cool, because that means I reached 8 of you... lol[/color]
[/size]The thing is... I think we make this harder than it is. We try to force keto to work with us and our particular tastes, allergies, illnesses, shortcomings in the kitchen, need for numbers, idiosyncrasies and obsessions -- instead of just embracing it for the simplicity that it is and adjusting ourselves to meet the program.[/color]
[/size]Here's the program, as I see it...[/color]
[/size]1. Eat meat, fish, eggs, vegetables and full-fat butters, cheeses and creams that you like to eat and know how to cook. Period.[/color]
[/size]2. Avoid sweets, sugars, grains, beans, breads, pastas, sugary sauces and dressings, most fruits and most alcohol. Period.[/color]
[/size]3. Get good sleep, reduce stress, be a good spouse, parent, kid, friend, employee and human being.[/color]
[/size]4. Do mechanical work with muscle when you feel energetic (and don't do it when you're tired!).[/color]
[/size]5. Stop drooling over stuff that made you fat.[/color]
[/size]6. Accept that "perfect" is a goal, not a baseline. (They put ketchup on your burger? So make your own next time.. This time, just take the bun off and eat the damn thing. You went to them, remember?)[/color]
[/size]7. Be slightly stronger today that you were yesterday.[/color]
[/size]That's it! Do those 7 things, and you win![/color]
[/size]Ketostrips, mug cakes, intermittent fasting, calorie counting, macros, micros, fathead pizza, salt, magnesium, intakes, outtakes, scales, weights, measurements, fatty coffees, avocado and coconut oils, apple cider vinegar, protein powders, Atkins bars, kale shakes... none of this matters one bit if you can't buy into 1-7.[/color]
[/size]I would encourage us all not to put the cart before the horse. Cut the bad carbs. Learn to cook meats and vegetables. Get your life stresses under control. Get in this for the long-game.[/color]
[/size]No one but you cares about your weight. No one but you cares what size you wear. No one but you really even cares what you eat.[/color]
[/size]Adopt simple principles, live your life and get out of your own way.[/color]
[/size]Stop trying to be everything you see in these damn groups. Be you. Just be a better you than you were yesterday. Period.[/color]
[/size]End rant.[/color]

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
Iodine does make us smarter - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15734706

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2016, 05:47:37 PM »
Good point, Rita, and one of the reasons I am pushing for it in your family.  Amazing things happen when we give the body what it needs!!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2016, 05:42:19 AM »
Besides iodine, thyroid glands need selenium and zinc to function properly.  It isn't "just" iodine, but most of us are deficient in minerals.  This is because the food we buy is grown in mineral deficient soils or animals eating artificially enhanced foods to enhance un-natural, but quicker growth.  They simply don't provide the minerals our body needs. 

I've often mentioned how much I like Dr. Carolyn Dean's ReMag (magnesium) and the companion ReMyte (minerals) product.  This is because it is easily absorbed in your small intestine without any side effects.  Minerals taken by pill supplements tend to be poorly absorbed by your body.  I noticed that when I use ionic mineral supplement drops or Dr. Dean's piconic (even smaller!) minerals, I feel much better so I know that they are being absorbed. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 13, 2016, 07:09:38 AM »
Barbara, so true and can't be said enough!  I still hear people saying things like, just eat a "balanced" diet and you will be fine.  One of my dearest and oldest friends is a Dietician and pretty smart otherwise, but on this issue we cross hairs often.  I have dropped it for now, but lets just say that she is mentally very unbalanced and on anti depressants … yeah, no coincidence there!

We had an impromptu Beach trip this weekend, very last minute, and all the more enjoyable for it!  One of my DD best friends lives in Wilmington, NC and just had her first baby - we were planning her shower for two weeks ago, but as it turned out, there were major complications, and they decided to take the little girl out via CS.  She is so tiny, and of course has to stay in the Neonatal IC unit for a while, so DD decided to go up this past weekend, just for an over night and visit with the friend.  We were texting Thursday night making plans, and she said several times that she will miss her little boy so much, and it suddenly occurred to me that Wrightsville Beach is just outside of Wilmington, and I asked if I might come along - we could take him and I would spend the day at the beach with GS, while she goes to visit in the hospital.  She was immediately overjoyed and we set out to find a hotel room, not easy this time of year, but we found the last condo at a nice resort and booked it, and spent two lovely days playing, and evenings visiting with each other, we don't have much time to just sit and chat lately, with her job ever-growing, and GS wanting her attention when she drops him off and picks him up.

… so to make a long story short (when does that ever happen with me, lol …) I packed up a cooler with steaks and tuna fish and mayo (found the Primal at Publix, it is delicious!!) bacon and eggs, and my special coffee, and we just had a blast.  I rented a large umbrella and the GS and I just sat in the sand all day and built roadways for his trucks to drive on.  He loved it, and it was very relaxing to me.

The little baby is doing ok, she is so tiny, and had surgery, to move the bowels back inside her body, that was something they knew they had to deal with, I still don't know much about it, but seems not unusual genetic disorder.  I'm glad my DD was able to be there for her friend, it meant a lot to her.  They've known each other since Kindergarten, and were each other's Maid of Honor …  :)

We did have some wine in the evening, while there, sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves, watching the tide roll in, but no ill effect.  I did not gain.  We walked a lot, and moved so much, I am feeling muscles I haven't felt in a while, lol. 

Still a little tired from it all, but it's a pleasant tired.  DD and family have another trip planned for coming weekend, and I will be staying with the dogs, in air conditioned room, that will be relaxing and I look forward to it.  Have some movies ear marked on Netflix to binge watch, lol~  8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 30, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Wow, time is just flying right now!  So much going on, all good stuff … I love Summer, Sun and Fun at the Beach.  8)   Just got back from another quick excursion to Wild Dunes, in between birthday parties and other misc. celebrations.  Catching up on my reading today, and came across an interesting article about iodine and atrial fibrillation of all things … I'm starting to think that iodine is indeed the miracle we were never told it is!

www.drdalepeterson.com/Iodine_f979f59fd58ccdcc01303b4bf.html

Hope all are well, DD just found out I will be Mimi to another little sweet pea soon … I can't wait and been dreaming of a pink nursery, but very happy with more blue.  ;D  We don't find out till the fall, and have much going on before then.  Gearing up to be cooking and baking some goodies for the DD to keep her healthy and happy.  And that makes me happy, too!

Enjoying my keto woe and IF - life is good!!   :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 30, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »
Thanks Barb for the iodine info. It's especially interesting to me because I was diagnosed with a-fib quite a number of years ago, and I've been on the medication that they discuss (amiodarone) for a number of years. My cardio doc just took me off it about a month ago because I was having more and more problems. I am very surprised to learn that this med is 37.5% iodine (75 mg of iodine per 200 mg tablet). After discontinuing amiodarone approximately a month ago, I'm already back in a-fib. This is something for me to think about and try to research further.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2016, 07:09:29 PM »
Deanne, so sorry to hear you have to deal with the A Fib, but glad that I posted this info now.  I often come across things I think might be interesting here, and if I don't stop and post right away, I get distracted and forget.  But something today just made me want to put this here, and I just looked up the guide link on Stephanie's blog, so you can download if you want to take a look and see the protocol for using iodine in her practice, well actually the practice of Dr. Brownstein, since he's her mentor and good friend.   http://steppingstonesliving.com/theguide/

It took me a while to "get it", and wish I hadn't waited so long, esp. with regards to my daughter, since it sounds like iodine is essential element for having a healthy, intelligent child.  With the first child, unless the mother is supplementing, or lives in an area that is naturally iodine rich, the growing child takes all the iodine away from the Mom.  And whatever is left, is literally sucked away during nursing.  Sorry for the graphic description, but it's true.  So that if more pregnancies follow, there can be a serious deficiency of iodine, and the hormones that are dependent on sufficient iodine supply to be produced in the fetus and the mother.  It's mind blowing to me, how the medical community can consider this life giving element, toxic!!!  Just another serious faux pas, that is causing serious medical issues in people. 

… for example, folks  in Japan ingest approx. 13.8 mg of iodine daily, in their diet.  While our RDA is measured in MCG! After Fukushima, the government in Japan was handing out 1000 mg iodine/iodide supplements to the folks living close by.  We all should be taking at least 12.5 mg a day, and some of us much, much more, to combat all the toxic halides we are bombarded with daily in this world. 

One thing I would like to mention, it seems that the more congested the liver is, the more problems can happen during detox.  Detox will happen for almost everyone, esp. in the US>  taking iodine will push out bromide and fluoride, and other toxic things that are clogging the iodine receptors in the body and unless your liver is functioning pretty well, it won't be flushing out these halides, but they will recirculate and cause havoc in the body.  That's probably where the medical community came to the conclusion that iodine was causing the problems, when supplemented in larger doses, but it's not the iodine, it's the stuff it sets free, and believe me it's no picnic.  I have had some of those detox symptoms, they are different for everyone, and can be headaches, lower back pain, acne, moodiness, dark thoughts, so not something to play around with.  The best way to detox is by using salt flushing, it's all described in the Guide To Supplementing above, but just wanted to make sure you're aware that the protocol really does need to be followed.  It's not rocket science, but does need a bit of studying to make sure it's all remembered.  Most of the supplements I already took, and some I added.

Wishing you the best, and hope this helps you stay off that medication, we all know what I think of all those meds and their side effects!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 31, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
Thanks for the link Barb!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 01, 2016, 08:03:29 AM »
You're welcome, Deanna!

I am reading wheatbellyblog right now, hadn't checked in there in a while, and lots of good news, esp. in comments.  Love the stuff Bob shares, and wanted to make sure everyone saw this contribution of his at Cureality - a comprehensive summary of supplements - wow, what a wonderful thing to find!  Wish he would share more over here with us, but it's nice to know where we can find him. ;)

https://www.cureality.com/forum/topics.aspx?id=18580#exogenous_ketones

Go to top, not sure why it stopped at this subject, but gotta run, lots of reading here, when I have time.  Today is GS's 3rd BD - they had pool party for him yesterday, and today is family party at their house.  Can't wait to hug and kiss that sweet little face ...  :D

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:40 AM »
So sad the summer is over, officially for a while, but for me as of tomorrow, Hurricane Matthew bringing some cooler weather along with wind and rain.  Hope it's not too bad, one of my daughter's best friends is getting married on Saturday, so they have rehearsal dinner and wedding - and I have a little sweetheart sleeping over both nights!  We have big plans too … with the cooler weather it's nice to get outside, and we are going to check out some new playgrounds in the area. 

The summer was hot and sticky, so we took advantage of the beach condo more this year, and drove down to Charleston as much as we could, I keep my bag packed so I can just pick up and leave on the spur of the moment.  Good bye sweet Summer!!!  :)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2016, 04:58:40 AM »

Sponsored Links