This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Anyone make their own sauerkraut?  (Read 1395 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Anyone make their own sauerkraut?
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
I was just reading on how to get more good bacteria in the gut.  Apparently, things like olives, pickles, sauerkraut, etc. all all very good.  However, most pickles and sauerkraut have been so processes through pasteurization that it no longer has the health benefits that it could.   

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone make their own sauerkraut?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
We tried one time many years ago (during our "farmer" stage :), but it didn't turn out. But I have recently read several blogs on this...doesn't sound too hard. Google Paleo sourkraut.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
Yes we are and it's delicious. My hubby likes to cook and he did it once in a glass jar but it had yeast in it that played havoc with my candida. So he bought a Karsh type crock with stones. Let it sit on the counter and added water to the lip as needed. It was crunchy and not salty. Yummy! Bought some grass fed beef hot dogs at Whole Foods as an accompaniment.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
I'm listening to a webinar on auto immune diseases right now given by nutritionists, and they are saying that adding fermented foods is key.    So sauerkraut  ( not the pasteurized bottles you get at the store ), but the kind you make at home, is extremely beneficial.

They also mention digestive bitters and raw milk in helping auto immune diseases.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:59:39 PM by Rita »

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »

Sponsored Links