This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hi from the Highlands  (Read 2545 times)

CharlieBook

• View Profile
Hi from the Highlands
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »
Hi, I'm Charlie and i am from the Highlands (Scotland). I've been wheat free since March and am (surprisingly) enjoying it. I am not allergic to wheat, but we watched a few youtube videos from wheat belly and were convinced that wheat free is the way to go. Both my fiance and I are now both wheat free. However, i dont eat meat (apart from fish).

Anyway, Looking for some advice for when we go on a 10 day MTB & camping holiday around Scotland. Normally this is easy as we buy loads of pasta and bread and takes sauces for the pasta etc. (for the nights that we don't sample the local cuisine of course).

The meals will need to be reasonably substantial as we are spending all 10 days mountainbiking, so will need the energy.

any recipe/meal ideas would be greatly appreciated  :D

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Hi from the Highlands
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:46:08 AM »
Hi CharlieBook,

Please specify exactly what your cooking and refrigeration facilities will be. 

Miracle noodles, Quest noodles and other brands are konjac root pastas that don't need refrigeration.  They do need washing and boiling or stir frying.  These are a bit chewier than wheat pasta.

Lots of recipes on paleo sites for granola type mixes made with appropriate ingredients and sweeteners.  Check recipes here on this blog too for various bars and snacks light enough to carry, but packed with nutrition.  Certainly nuts and seeds are welcomed with some dried fruits. 

What an exciting trip!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »
Welcome Charlie Book. How fun your trip sounds.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Welcome Charlie and Veroden.....

Regarding your upcoming trip.....lots of great recipes on this site. In addition, try the paleo wraps by Improv'eats, you can stick all kinds of things in them.....also smoked salmon, sardines, lettuce wraps, kale chips.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 04:51:58 PM »
Welcome Charlie!

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
Welcome!  I've never been to the Highlands, but according to family lore (who knows?) we descended from clan Fraser (Frazer/Frazier?), whose ancestral home was somewhere around Loch Ness, I think.  It is top on my list of places to visit. 

I would echo Jan about the paleo wraps and smoked salmon etc., and also add wild canned salmon, organic nuts (I'm partial to macadamia when I can afford them), pecans, almonds, and maybe before you go you could bake some low carb grain free muffins or cookies of some sort that would hold up for a few days, at least, and help you keep from getting tired from all of the canned fish and nuts. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »
Welcome Charlie!  You've gotten some good ideas, I also think it's a great idea to bake some nut breads or muffins, they are light and filling.  Things like avocados, organic sausages, maybe even some hard boiled eggs for the first few days, would work and are satisfying. 

Look forward to hearing all about your lovely trip!

Barb  :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 08:32:36 AM »
Glad to have you, you are very welcome here.

CharlieBook

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 12:20:29 AM »
Hi all

thanks for welcome and the ideas. I've never heard of paleo wraps, so will have a look on our shopping trip on the way down the road. smoked salmon and boiled eggs sound like a great idea!

We will have a mini fridge thing that uses the car engine to stay cool, so not a lot really, but i am suer we can buy items on our travels.

Taking pre-baked muffins etc. is also a great idea. I will check out the recipes and make sure i have the ingredients (specific wheat free items like flour etc. are difficult to buy up here and the closest shop is 65 miles away for that sort of thing.

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 10:24:38 AM »
Welcome Charlie and Veroden.....

Regarding your upcoming trip.....lots of great recipes on this site. In addition, try the paleo wraps by Improv'eats, you can stick all kinds of things in them.....also smoked salmon, sardines, lettuce wraps, kale chips.

I've never heard of these wraps, but they sound delicious. I will try them out soon.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
Welcome....here's a link for the wraps. I like to heat mine for a few seconds to brown.

http://www.improveat.com/whatoffer.php

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »
Charlie, having a mini fridge is great, even a tiny one.  Gives you more options, like butter and cream.  Coconut oil needs no cooling, take some along and have a spoon full - very filling.  Sausages also good and quick snack, organic if possible.  So many good choices!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:05:50 PM »

Sponsored Links