This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Protein Bars  (Read 5779 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Protein Bars
« on: June 26, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »
http://carbwars.blogspot.com/search?q=protein+bars

Thought of Charlie and his bike trip when I saw these just now but really works for anyone.  I used to make my own protein bars all the time, many years ago.  Low carb of course, and they were good, but these sound delicious!  Gonna whip me some up soon.   ;D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Protein Bars
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:38:21 AM »
Those do look really good.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 09:57:32 AM »
Speaking of protein bars, I tried the QUEST bars, which are low carb (some of them).  I found after eating one, I wanted more.  I fought the craving clear into the next day, and gave in to eating four.   They were way too good, and since I hadn't had sweet much of anything for the last year and half, I struggled.  Ended up throwing them out (they're kind of expensive).  For the rest of that day and the next I had gas, headaches, and nausea...felt like I was going thru the withdrawal period all over again.  Sweeteners were erythritol and some stevia, I believe.  Not sure where to go now with the sweetener thing...maybe just too much at once.  But the cravings were hard to resist. Couldn't think of anything else except eating those bars.   And I haven't felt like that for 19 months.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
> ... QUEST bars, which are low carb (some of them).

They are all pretty low carb compared to darn near everything else on the market. What they aren't is high fat, so they are not a meal replacement.

>  I found after eating one, I wanted more.

I think Dr. Attia had the same experience. His favorite is the cookie dough. I eat pretty much all of the flavors except peanut.

> I fought the craving clear into the next day, and gave in to eating four.

Once you are adapted to them, I'm not sure that's a problem, other than the expense.

>  For the rest of that day and the next I had gas, headaches, and nausea...

When Dr. Davis first discussed these on his blog, he and his staff reported the gas problem. Quest bars contain isomalto-oligossacharides (might be inulin) which is a prebiotic. If your gut biome is messed up, you can get an adverse reaction to foods high in prebiotics. I take this reaction as a likely sign that the sufferer might need a course of probiotics. Personally, I've never had an adverse reaction to Quest bars.

> Sweeteners were erythritol and some stevia, I believe.

Some of the bars also have sucralose. The quantity may be small, but the buyer needs to decide. They do omit all gluten-bearing grains, soy, simple saccharides (sugars), GMOs and non-organics. The total package makes them unique in the market, which is awash in high-gly junk, and some low-carb junk contaminated with adverse fats and adverse proteins.

> Couldn't think of anything else except eating those bars.

For better or worse, Quest Nutrition certainly did their homework on palatability.

The unfortunate thing is that they are most benign snack bar on the market, although they do not have the claimed "perfect nutritional profile" from my perspective. The market needs a high-fat low-carb bar, if not an actual keto bar. Quest has been told. They need some competition to kick their butts a bit.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
> For the rest of that day and the next I had gas, headaches, and nausea...

On the headaches and nausea, this is also not only an indicator of a messed up gut biome, but possibly also an indicator of specific intolerances that can make correcting the dysbiosis a bit challenging. Chris Kresser has lately posted an article on this at:
How to Restore Healthy Gut Flora Over the Long-Term

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Thank you, Boundless, for the clarification and link. I will read the article you recommended.  The QUEST bars were good, although I remember thinking at my first bite, "this doesn't taste like an almond joy!"   :)   I've always been hesitant to eat sweet stuff anyway since that was my downfall in all those years of eating.  I will look into the prebiotic thing, too.  Thanks again.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »
I haven't tried the Quest bars, but I would probably have the same reaction that Loanne had.  I seem to get cravings from any commercially made low carb bar, and find making my own so much easier than having to deal with the side effects.  My sweet tooth has drastically been curtailed, so when I read a recipe, in my mind I immediately reduce the amount of sweetener.  It can always be added, I have the liquid form of Stevia, and it is quite good.  Has anyone tried that NOW Foods brand Stevia Glycerite, with vanilla flavor?  I love it for baking, takes very little and gives lots of flavor.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
Is the vanilla flavor as intense as extract?  That would be really handy.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »
Lynda, I don't think it's quite as intense, it's just very sweet, and has the vanilla flavoring.  It's a bit of an acquired taste, as most Stevia products are.  It's like a thick syrupy honey like texture, and it comes with a dropper, in a glass bottle, so you just drop some of it in your dough, and mix well. 

This is the one I got first time

http://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-Glycerite-2-Ounce-Container/dp/B0017WG0XG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1403995873&sr=8-4&keywords=now+foods+stevia+glycerite

and now they have this too

http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Better-Glycerite-Alcohol-Extract/dp/B000VN0RQ8/ref=pd_sbs_gro_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y4Q29NE2S3BNA1YS31P

I have them both, and like the blue bottle somewhat better.  Can't really say why, must be flavor.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
> I haven't tried the Quest bars ...  I seem to get cravings
> from any commercially made low carb bar, ...

To comment on that usefully, I'd need to know what brands and products. There are darn few really "low carb" bars on the market, and even the lower carb (zone-ish) bars are still relatively high in carbs, and may be understating the actual net carb effect of the sugar alcohols they commonly use (by overstating the "fiber" carbs).

Many (Balance, Zone brands) also include wheat, which would drive you cravy, but you probably are avoiding those.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
drive you cravy

Excellent play on words.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:35:09 AM »
Well, have to admit here that they were Atkins bars .. I know, I know.  I only really like the Coconut Chocolate bars, they taste somewhat like Almond Joys.  But I probably haven't had one in two years.  I just had to stop getting them, because I eat the whole box in two days.   :-\

I agree though, it would be nice to have a really nice high fat one available I wonder if the problem is shelf life.  High fat products might not be storable without a bunch of preservatives and it would be very high cost to produce them, is my guess

Hence:  make them yourself the recipe to Make Them Yourself!!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 10:12:07 AM »
> ... they were Atkins bars ..

Kris Gunnars pretty well nailed 'em at:
AN: Are Atkins Low-Carb Bars Healthy? A Critical Look
About all I might add are: PUFAs and transfats?
What are these people thinking?
The Atkins diet is flawed in my view, but if Atkins were still alive, I seriously doubt he'd allow junk like this to get sold with his name on it.

I've never had one, by they way. Even back when I was doing 40-30-30, I could see that Atkins bars were junk.

> I agree though, it would be nice to have a really nice
> high fat one available I wonder if the problem is shelf life.

Could be, but shouldn't be much more of a problem than shelf life for Omega 3 supplements. So I'm also thinking it's a question of perceived market. LCHF and/or keto bars are apt to first arise from a small specialty supplier, like WFMF.

> Hence:  make them yourself ...

Yep.

CharlieBook

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:57 AM »
http://carbwars.blogspot.com/search?q=protein+bars

Thought of Charlie and his bike trip when I saw these just now but really works for anyone.  I used to make my own protein bars all the time, many years ago.  Low carb of course, and they were good, but these sound delicious!  Gonna whip me some up soon.   ;D

Thanks BarbinNC, they look delicious!  :D will check i have enough almond flour and if my mother in law has powdered erythritol  - never heard of that before  :-[

i also have a VERY good recipe i shall post up. i made it for my parents the 1st week i went wheat free and they scoffed it pretty quickly! it's just quite expensive to make  :o ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 03:03:12 AM »
CharlieBook,

Any of the WB approved sugar equivalents will do.  Just taste the "batter" to make sure it is the right amount for you.  Check WBB for some recipes and GourmetGirl Cooks for others.  You can grind almonds into a meal using a food processor.

Do keep us posted!

WBforever

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
> ... they were Atkins bars ..

Kris Gunnars pretty well nailed 'em at:
AN: Are Atkins Low-Carb Bars Healthy? A Critical Look
About all I might add are: PUFAs and transfats?
What are these people thinking?
The Atkins diet is flawed in my view, but if Atkins were still alive, I seriously doubt he'd allow junk like this to get sold with his name on it.

I've never had one, by they way. Even back when I was doing 40-30-30, I could see that Atkins bars were junk.

> I agree though, it would be nice to have a really nice
> high fat one available I wonder if the problem is shelf life.

Could be, but shouldn't be much more of a problem than shelf life for Omega 3 supplements. So I'm also thinking it's a question of perceived market. LCHF and/or keto bars are apt to first arise from a small specialty supplier, like WFMF.

> Hence:  make them yourself ...

Yep.

I know about those coconut Atkins bars.... I love them but I dont allow myself to eat more than a small piece once and a while.
I keep them in the freezer.  To me... they are delicious and do taste like mounds bars.   LOL
Its been a LOOOONG time since I have had an actual mounds bar but these REALLY do it for me !  I dont have any side effects from them even if I eat a whole one.  but.... I dont anymore because I cant bring myself to cheat THAT much.  LOL
I also LOOOOVE the chocolate hazelnut bars too ! WOW !  they taste like some fancy Viennese treat.

but really ... i should and eventually will make my own protein bars... it just makes sense.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
http://www.elanaspantry.com/power-bars/

this looks like another easy version of home made protein bars.  I used to make them with whey protein powder, but that's gotten a bad name lately, does anyone know what is so bad about it? 

I guess I could google that, lol.

Wonder how this recipe looks as far as fat/protein ratio.  Will have to run the numbers later.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
Quest, by the way, has just come out with a line of chips.

Way too low in fat.

Told 'em.

Don't plan to even try 'em.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:56 PM »
How about with some really high fat dip?  Just saying, it might be worth a try, and not having to make every last bit of food from scratch .. I mean for some of us, it would be a luxury right now.  I might try them and will report back.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:59:56 PM »

Sponsored Links