This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Sauerkraut better than Probiotics  (Read 2469 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Sauerkraut better than Probiotics
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »
http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/21/sauerkraut-test-divulges-shocking-probiotic-count/

Another one I found on Facebook, I tell ya, that place is a gold mine for finding info.  If you don't want to be bothered, you can always set up a anonymous account.  I'm actually thinking of doing one just for my nutrition and recipe research, so my friends can't see me and bother me, LOL!!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Sauerkraut better than Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
Randal,
When you return home, you might explore ordering fermented veggies from the link below.....I did early on and while not as good as my own,  8) , they're highly rated and quite good!

http://www.immunitrition.com/products.php

"Bubbies" is a brand carried at many health food stores, but their fermenting time is questionable.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 07:00:04 AM »
I just found a chocolate cake recipe on the diet doctor site on Facebook, lol haven't checked it out in detail, but wanted to say that making Sauerkraut is so easy, why not give it a try?  I always knew it was healthy, but not about the probiotic effect.  That was news to me, and will save me a lot of money going forward.

Another thing I remember my grandmother and aunt in Germany doing, they would leave milk out on the counter, in a glass, and it would turn thick over night, with the cream layer on the top.  It kind of grossed me out as a kid, but now I realize why they lived to be so healthy into ripe old age.  It must have been full of wonderful probiotic bacteria!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
Barb, I'm looking at the instructions for kraut juice on that site. I would like to get really motivated to make that.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Deanne, I am all geared to try this Sauerkraut making thing, and the juice sounds like one of the best things to come out of it!

I've been reading up online, to get it straight in my head, what I need etc. and found two links I will share, in case you would like to read.  They both are really informative.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/making-sauerkraut-2/

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/got-cabbage-make-sauerkraut.aspx#axzz363BPtFQL

I don't think there is anything really new in them, but if you're like me, it helps to read and reread several times, in different formats, to get it.  Once I've done it, I will be fine.  I esp. like the one with the German style additions, I believe my grandmother added caraway and juniper berries, sometimes apples. 

Let me know how it goes and you know, I will post about it when I make it.  :)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »
Hi Barb, you know, I just now thought about...sourkraut thins the blood. So I'm assuming that kraut juice would too. May have to rethink this.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
Hi Deanne, I've never heard that, not sure that's correct.  May I ask where you got the info?  Are you on blood thinner?  Why would it be an issue for you? 

Sorry for all the questions, just curious. ;)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:44:16 PM »
Barb,yes, I'm on blood thinner. I have a history of a-fib (atrial fibrillation, irregular heartbeat). I'm controlled with medication, but sometimes I go into a-fib anyway. And when I do, I'm at risk for stroke or heart attack, thus the blood thinner. I've been on several different medications for this and the one that usually works for me could cause thyroid, liver and/or lung problems. When you're on blood thinner, the K2 veggies thin your blood even more. I've had 2 heart ablations but they both only helped for a short while. If you have info on this that I don't have, I'd be glad to know. This has been a problem for me for quite a few years. Thanks for commenting on this. No problem with "all the questions". I'm hoping my new discovery of ReMag (via Barbara from NJ), a highly absorbable magnesium, will help with this because magnesium relaxes the muscles...and the heart is a muscle.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Deanne, I didn't know, thanks for clarifying.  I guess you have to be very careful in that case, and I hope you feel ok.  It sounds like an insidious thing to deal with, sorry that you have to.  My husband died very young, of a heart attack,  it was brought on by medication for asthma, which in turn caused  an arrhythmia.  So I know the seriousness of this type of illness.  I wish you good health, and hope all will be better with this way of eating.  You do have a lot to deal with~   ???

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

Sponsored Links