This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Adding stuff to mashed avocados  (Read 14476 times)

fudgecake

• View Profile
Adding stuff to mashed avocados
« on: May 07, 2013, 07:10:22 AM »

I like this quote from a recipe website: Avocado, with its gentle creaminess and unassertive flavor, is the ultimate backdrop for any flavor combination you might like to foist upon it.

Yes. Mash up avocado with just about anything. There are even recipes for adding unsweetened cocoa powder. Try almond flour, coconut oil, hemp seeds, fruits, peppers, onions, garlic, meats, whatever. The whole idea makes me think of those ice cream places where they add ingredients for you on a cold marble slab.

Then place a couple fried eggs on top of your concoction.

I guess the point is that an avocado mashed up in a bowl is a canvas for any number and varieties of beautiful creations.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Adding stuff to mashed avocados
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »
Great idea!  I just saw a recipe on a paleo FB page that baked them with cheese on top. Anyone tried that? It looked delicious but I may need to get used to the idea.......

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »
Finally made 'loaded baked avocados' yesterday for brunch, served with a side of my home grown sliced tomatoes.....we loved them and they were extremely filling.

Cut one avocado in half and score them.  Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne and dried mustard.....and sprinkle the mixture over the avocado....next, crumble one slice of cooked bacon per side and top with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese (I used white cheddar and mozzarella).....bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes (then under the broiler for a few minutes) remove and top with scallions....and if you like, sour cream and/or goat yogurt. 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:32:21 AM »
Cut one avocado in half and score them.  Mix together garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne and dried mustard.....and sprinkle the mixture over the avocado....next, crumble one slice of cooked bacon per side and top with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese (I used white cheddar and mozzarella).....bake at 375 for 10 to 15 minutes (then under the broiler for a few minutes) remove and top with scallions....and if you like, sour cream and/or goat yogurt.

Jan,

This sound fantastic! I'm going to try it this week!

Bailey

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »
This sound fantastic! I'm going to try it this week!

but weird!   ( Still trying to wrap my brain around it).

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:41:04 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the texture is like for a baked avocado?  I'm more adicted to avocado than I ever was to wheat but have always been afraid they would get gummy or mushy if cooked.  Jan's toppings sounded outragious, though :)  I hope avocados have a good nutrient profile because I live on them!

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the texture is like for a baked avocado?

Lynda, I'm probably going to try it with both a very ripe Avocado and one that is not too ripe and see which one I prefer. I have a thing about texture when it comes to food Ha ha! If they turn out "pretty" I may post a picture as well  :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
I hope you do post a photo, Scrupulous.  I'm particular about texture myself and will be delighted to hear your results.  I don't know why I'm so chicken about just trying one on my own but it would break my heart to ruin an avocado (which is also dumb because I buy tons of them).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
Look at what a power food avocados are:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

I actually just bought a bottle of avocado oil at Costco.  Haven't tried it yet.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
I did take a photo but can't seem to upload it, says it is too large and I haven't a clue how to reduce the size! At any rate, I used a ripe, but (sort of) firm avocado.....and the texture was not mushy, as I expected it might be. We really liked the blended flavors and 1/2 was enough for each of us....it was very rich! Sour cream would be great on it if you're doing dairy.....or possibly goat yogurt. I think it would be a great menu selection at a restaurant!

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
If you have a MAC, you can open it in preview, then go to Tools->Adjust Size

If you have a Windows PC, you can open it in paint (mspaint.exe) and edit the size.

Low Carb Since April 2009.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:47 AM »
Thanks but am using my IPad....

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:05:04 AM »
Files are limited to 128kb though, so you may have resize them on your computer, or by going to [/size]http://www.picresize.com[/color][/size] ( which is a free easy-to-use online resizer)[/size]If you go to http://www.picresize.com , just upload the picture from your computer and click 'continue'.   You can edit the picture there ( such as cropping it or rotating it), but what you want to do to get the file size down, is to put the value of 128 in the field on the very bottom where it says "max file size".  Then continue from there to get your newly resized pic.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 08:03:08 AM »
This stuffed, baked avocado idea is really wonderful.  I did a quick search and people are stuffing and baking them with just about any mixture you can think up, from crab, shrimp, tuna, etc.  Even breading and baking for "fries".   Not just for salads anymore!
Too many recipes to list here.  Just use your imagination and whatever is in your fridge or pantry!  Spice and top with cheese.
Bake, then broil to melt cheese.  This is your new open-faced sandwich melt.   Use coconut flour to thicken any creamy sauce, if needed, such as in a crab stuffing.  Yum! :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 08:37:42 AM »
Jan -  you can upload the pic in the "attachments and other options", which is right below the area where you type a post.

This stuffed, baked avocado idea is really wonderful.  I did a quick search and people are stuffing and baking them with just about any mixture you can think up, from crab, shrimp, tuna, etc.  Even breading and baking for "fries".   Not just for salads anymore!

Okay...  I'm going to jump in and make something crazy for lunch!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
Oh yeah, Barbara, crab & avocado... heaven!  Oddly enough, after growing up an hour and a half from Hass country in CA, it took moving to FL to discover the best method to ripen them.  I've tried them all.  My best method is to plunk them on top of a bowl of Gala apples.  Yes, the Gala works better for me than other brands.  Go figure!  The outgassing of the apples will have them ready the next day.  I started eating excessive avocado when I gave up wheat, maybe that's one of the reasons my c-reactive protein dropped?  Thanks for the article, Rita, really interesting.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 01:42:36 PM »
Even breading and baking for "fries".   Not just for salads anymore!

I was thinking of trying this by "breading" the avocado with almond meal and parmesan cheese.  Haven't tried it yet, though.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »
Baked avocados....

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
That does look like a good meal.   Bet it's filling too.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
I would like the meal Jan just showed us.  Great idea, thanks.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 01:38:47 PM »
I took that photo to send to my sisters (both are WB)....had I  known it was going public, I should have dressed up the plate for company!  ;D

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 05:07:01 AM »
I made Baked Mashed Avocado this morning and it was amazing! I followed Jan's Original Recipe above, but then mashed it up with some Salt and Sour cream. Divine! ETA: It appears that you can click on the picture to make it a little larger.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 09:15:32 AM »
Those look really good!

jgilberAZ

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:58 PM »
I don't have a picture, but ...

I made an omelette this morning with a kind of guacamole in it.

I used 1/2 avocado, crumbled bacon (2 pieces), 1 Tb Kerry Gold butter, 1 T diced onion, and about 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and about 1tsp of hot sauce.
I would have used more hot sauce, but I planned on making an omelette for my wife, too.

I mashed that all together, then used it for a filling in my omelette.

Then sprinkled a little more mozzarella cheese on the top.

It was quite delicious.

BTW, this is the hot sauce I used and prefer:

El Yucateco
http://tinyurl.com/lyme4xz

I don't recommend it for the faint of heart.  : )

Oh, I also added about 2T whipped cream to the eggs to give them a little extra "fluff."
Low Carb Since April 2009.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2013, 08:11:39 AM »
Mmmm!  That sounds tasty,  too.  So many good ideas, how to choose?  Guess I'll try them all...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
Great brunch.....Avocado chicken salad w/sliced tomatoes on bed of arugula......

2/3 boneless chicken breasts
1 avocado
chopped onion
juice of approx 1/2 lime
2 TB. cilantro
salt and pepper

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2013, 02:19:04 PM »
Hello all,

I have been having a problem with my avocados.  It seems that some are gray inside and not palatable.  The nubs are still on them so that is not the problem. They have a slight give, so they are ripe.  I sure hate having to discard this costly item.  Any ideas why this is happening? 

scrupulousgirl

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
Hello all,

I have been having a problem with my avocados.  It seems that some are gray inside and not palatable.  The nubs are still on them so that is not the problem. They have a slight give, so they are ripe.  I sure hate having to discard this costly item.  Any ideas why this is happening?

Barbara,

How do you store the Avocados? Unless I know for certain I will consume it within 2 days tops, I store both Avocados and Bananas in the Fridge on the Shelf, not in Crisper.  When I'm ready to use, try to take it out about 1 - 2 hours ahead if not over-night. If you are leaving them out on the Counter, are they in a bag or container? If so, I would take them out. Also, have you tried opening one immediately on arriving home from the store? Maybe someone will have some good insight.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
Barbara, are these Haas?  If they are, never buy them with any 'give'.  It just might turn out to be a bruise when fully ripened or overripe to begin with.  Buy them hard, even green, put them in a bag or bowl with an apple.  Test their ripeness daily by inserting a toothpick in the stem end (remove stem piece).  If the pick slides into the flesh like chilled butter, your avocado is ripe and needs to go in the refrig.  Eat it within a day, no more than two.  Your grey sounds either unripe or rotten to me.  It's so disappointing to loose them, isn't it?  Believe me, I lost a million until I learned the above method and, even now, out of season can surprise you.  Good luck.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2013, 01:39:48 PM »
Thank you for your advice.

I did do an internet search and it seems that this often happens with avocados picked from a tree that is very immature (2 years old or less).  The fruit does not ripen properly.  Or, they were handled roughly and are indeed bruised enough that they turn gray when ripening.

Yes, these are Haas.  The supermarket was just putting them out.  I remember that the fruit was very cold to the touch.  I wonder if they might have been stored at too cold a temperature?   I try to buy them green and usually cut them open when they start to turn dark.  Your "test" method sounds like great idea.

These are kept in an airy, woven basket with other fruit or veggies that I will be eating that day or needs ripening.
The basket usually contains an apple, lemons and limes.  I'm not eating too much fruit now because of fructose. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:08:02 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2013, 12:15:40 AM »
Half a small avocado with a homemade WF Italian style dressing has been a standby snack for me for several years.

But, just yesterday I decided I needed to create an old favorite - adapted from a Christmas book (which is mid summer here in Australia)

The original was a bowl of strawberries, served with a creamy mixture of cream and avocado and brandy - plus sugar to taste. Of course I had long since dropped the sugar, and added a smidgen of stevia (fresh leaves if I had the herb growing, or another form of stevia. Generally, I add one teaspoon of my homemade cumquat brandy - made with about 1/4 of the amount of sugar that's in the standard recipes.

Sometimes I slice avocado on top of a thin slice of veal - which has been "breaded" with almond or other WF flour and cook under the broiler for a few minutes. 

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2013, 12:37:58 AM »
Way back in 1968 whilst a Volunteer in the newly independent Zambia, I wrote a recipe book "Cooking in Zambia". Each chapter on a fruit or other food item available there - many of which were unfamiliar to people from UK who had recently arrived in the country as teachers, builders etc.

The first chapter was on Avocados.

Many of the recipes would need to be converted to WF but here is the original list:
Avocado Soup, Avocado Cream Soup, Chilled Avocado and Chicken Soup, Mexican Dip, Avocado and Shrimp Appetizer, Avocado Sambal, Avocado Sandwiches, Avocado in Aspic, Avocado Molds, Avocado Salad, Avocado and Pear Salad, Avocado and Pilchard Salad, Avocado and Tuna Salad, South American Stuffed Avocados, Avocados with Mushroom filling, Savory Avocado Pear Souffle, Baked Seafood Avocados, Avocado Sweet, Avocado Delight, Avocado Honey Cream, and Avocado Icecream.

If anyone is interested in a particular recipe I will pass on my WF adaptation.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 09:45:36 AM »
Bea....how does avocado do in a hot soup?  Does it turn dark?  I'm not a cold soup person.....can you post us a few soup successes? Thx....

Bea

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 09:19:17 PM »
I've not made the Avocado Cream Soup for years (it starts with making a white sauce), but I have never had either of the Avocado Soups sit around for long - and they have not changed color.

Here's the Avocado Soup - serves 4

2 ripe avocados, diced.
1 cup cream
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 1/2 cups stock
salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
cayenne pepper or chili flakes
finely chopped parsley.

Mix the avocado, cream, curry powder, salt and pepper.
Combine the stock and lemon juice, and blend with the avocado mixture. Bring to the boil. Add cayenne or chili flakes, and more lemon juice if desired. Serve garnished with a slice of avocado or chopped parsley.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 04:05:25 AM »
Thanks Bea.....will try it!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 06:26:06 AM »
I've gotten in the habit of making deviled eggs to keep in the fridge as a snack.....I've made some with curry, some with bacon, some with basil, some with salsa....and yesterday, I made them with leftover avocado.....mashed it up with lime juice, egg yokes, onion & garlic powder, cilantro and smoked paprika....they were great!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 06:26:06 AM »

Sponsored Links