This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Earth Fare  (Read 3174 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Earth Fare
« on: July 10, 2014, 03:56:10 AM »
Has anyone had any experience shopping at 'Earth Fare'? A new store opened up about 45 minutes away from us.....looks like it might be worth checking out.....

https://www.earthfare.com/our-stores/company

HungryinTN

Re: Earth Fare
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »
There is an Earth Fare in Montgomery where my parents live.  It's a weak rival of Whole Foods.  They don't carry as much grass fed meat and wild seafood, and they lack any kind of comprehensive meat quality rating system like their competitor, but mostly a good shopping experience.  Lots of organic produce, packaged foods (if you're into that sort of thing) and baking supplies and a pretty good selection of gluten free and paleo foods.  There have been a small handful of items I've gone in looking for and been unable to find, but overall a good store for healthy and locally produced foods. I'm glad to hear they are still opening new stores.  The one in Montgomery seems to be weakly supported and understaffed, and there's talk of a Whole Foods buy-out of the chain. 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 06:33:34 AM »
Good news that these stores are popping up.  Shows that our way of eating is much more prevalent than we thought.  Like any new  business, these specialty stores need time to develop product line to suit their customers.  As long as their prices are reasonable, they will continue to attract people who don't want to eat the chemically enhanced foods our supermarkets carry.  Most people just don't have the time or inclination to shop at many different stores.  They like 1 stop shopping. 

Here in northern NJ, farmer's markets have grown tremendously and even the chains are carrying local produce and pastured meats properly raised.  I can even purchase whole milk from grass fed cows.  Sure, the properly raised and fed meats are a bit more expensive than the weekly specials, but I notice the difference in the way I feel and look.  These animal proteins taste better too.  The recent abundant wild salmon catch brought prices down to affordable.  I had forgotten how delicious fresh, wild king salmon could be!  Puts the farmed cardboard tasting salmon to shame. 

You bet all the major food companies are noticing the change in buying habits and attitudes towards the food we eat.  Those discussions we've had on this blog about our buying habits are making a difference.   Hurray for that!      :)

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
> ... and there's talk of a Whole Foods buy-out of the chain.

People actually do start businesses with the intention of having them acquired (at a handsome return) by a larger player. That's apparently the case for a propane startup where I live.

> Good news that these stores are popping up.

Normal caution is advised. If the founders are on a merger game, or just think the market is a fad, what they offer will have all sorts of issues, including pricing.

In Kansas, there's a Whole Foods Market (WFM) acquisition that is overdue. Wichita has a prior chain of stores called Whole Foods (Association, WFA). They are small, cramped, have an unsatisfactory inventory, and are commonly mistaken for Whole Foods Market, which has no stores in the area [yet]. It's easy to find consumers whining on the web about how awful the Wichita Whole Foods are. A real WFM is supposed to open this year, and I'm wondering how they are working around an obvious regional trademark problem.

Update: http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2013/08/whole-foods-market-to-call-its-wichita.html?page=all
The Wichita WFM won't be a WFM. They plan to name it "Bread and Circus".
This looks like a negotiating ploy to me. I suspect WFA was asking too much, and thought WFM wouldn't even open a store unless they could get clear use of the Whole Foods name. Stay tuned.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 04:57:20 AM »
Finally made it to Earth Fare yesterday....it's only been open a few months, so the staff seemed to be overly solicitous , which was nice. Found some 'hard to get' organic veggies and a bag of organic lemons.....some nice aged white balsamic vinegar from Italy and made my own organic almond butter. Was able to stock up on the Seventh Generation laundry soap we use that comes in the compostable container, which I've, so far, had to order from Amazon.

You're right about the meat Hungry.....even though some of their meat comes from Niman Farms, they only had pastured ground beef......and the fish counter was a disappointment, as well as the olive bar which used sunflower seed oil.....I was really hoping to find some decent olives! They did carry Nancy's organic fermented sour cream and cream cheese. The manager came out and chatted with us and talked about their goals etc.......so in spite of the fact that they're not entirely 'getting it', it's definitely a step in the right direction.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
> The Wichita WFM won't be a WFM.
> They plan to name it "Bread and Circus".
> This looks like a negotiating ploy to me.

And the final outcome is consistent with that:
GreenAcres Market Replaces Whole Foods Sign
"... The name change from Whole Foods Association to GreenAcres Market is part of an agreement with the national Whole Foods Market chain of stores who had previously planned to enter the Wichita market as “Bread and Circus.” ..."

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »

Sponsored Links