This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Prebiotics  (Read 6800 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Prebiotics
« on: July 11, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »
I'm starting a new thread as an offshoot of the thread on the benefits of fermented veggies, as it seems to be a new topic, and one that I would like more information on.

Honestly, I don't know the difference between prebiotics and probiotics, other than both are good for you, and both should be eaten. I take a probiotic pill (although I'm going to switch to one that is refrigerated, as the ones I have been taking probably are dead and useless) and I've also been eating fermented cabbage to great personal satisfaction. But I'm still unclear as to how to make sure I'm getting the right prebiotics.

I just did a quick search on prebiotics, and saw a whole lot of stuff that I eat... never. Burdock, chicory, dandelion root, leeks... I think I ate a dandelion root once when I was 5, and I'll never make that mistake again. But I also saw other stuff on that list that I do eat: legumes (limited on the WB WOE), broccoli (daily, with kimchi on top), cauilflower, and radishes.

So what are good sources of prebiotics? And how does resistant starch (RS) fit into this?

My issue with RS is just like with exercise or weightlifting: if something is unpleasant, it's impossible to turn into a habit. (Habits ultimately need to be something you want to do.) Eating raw potatoes, or potato starch, or green bananas just doesn't cut it. And it's difficult to convert people to our WOE if we're telling them they need to cut out tasty stuff like beer, candy, sweets, cookies, etc., for nasty stuff like raw potatoes and green bananas.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Prebiotics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Be sure to see:
WBB: Fertilize the garden called “bowel flora”

"TatorTot" Tim has been active on the thread.
He may be as close to an expert as the subject presently has.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
Barb just posted a few articles here that are worth the read too:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,1429.msg13011.html#new

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:14:34 AM »
Randal,

Green bananas have a slight tangy taste and certainly not unpleasant!  The RS can come from pulverized raw potato (blender) and added to a smoothie or even store bought potato starch is available to be added.  No taste!  The potato starch can be used as a thickener in cooking. 
Lentils, beans, greens, onions, green leafy veggies and lots more are good sources for the butyrate. 

You are correct in that if it is unpleasant, it doesn't become a habit.  The idea should be to make sure you are incorporating enough of these foods into your diet to provide the needed butyrate.  There are many ways to do this.  I'm just reading about adding a bit of chicory to coffee (like they do in New Orleans) for added inulin which converts to butyrate. 

No cavelady stuff of munching on raw potatoes accompanied by dandelions for me! 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 08:03:38 AM »
I stayed up late reading, going from one link to the next, last night, and was up early, reading again.  Forgot to watch that little video, so thanks for posting it, Rita … it does show clearly what goes on and helps understand the importance of including these foods in our diet.  And like Barbara, I intend to make this a pleasant addition to my diet, not really going to drink potato starch water, but I realize that most of them are doing this to get a clear understanding of what their BG is doing, after ingesting the RS.  It's good to know, and I am thankful for their research and experimentation.  I will keep on reading and learning, and hopefully get it right at some point.

I made myself some mixed organic veggies last night, with a homemade cheese sauce, mostly just melted cheddar and a bit of cream, to smooth it out.  Was delicious, and worked great for elimination this morning.  After learning as much as we can about the mechanics of pro- and pre-biotics, it's probably best to not over think, but ensure we have enough of both in the diet, and enjoy the foods we eat.  That is really important, I think .. to not lose sight of the whole picture ... stressing about do we have enough of whatever it is, can lead to problems too.  My gut definitely tells me things, it's just that we don't listen after a while, disregard it.  And females of our species seem to have an abundance of brains in their guts, as well as in their heads, we just have to take advantage of this gift of nature, and nurture it.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
BarbinNC,

As Dr. Amen points out: your brains gets its nutrients from our guts.  Our guts reflect what we eat.  It is important to eat to feed our brains and everything else in our body! 

Lots to learn and utilize.  Your body is the best indicator of whether or not it likes the food you eat.  Better eliminations are a definite yes!  Jan pointed out a basic checklist as a guideline.  Good idea to follow it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
Several weeks ago I had bought inulin to use as an aide to bowel movements. I had wanted citrical because it isn't metamuciul, but they didn't have it. So I bought inulin.
Then I thought I read somewhere that it raised blood sugar because of its sugar content, so I stopped using it. I was just over at wheatbellyblog and read where inulin is recommended as a resistant starch.
Now I can't find the article I read that said inulin had sugar and raised BG. I just re-read the packaging and there is no mention of sugar as an ingredient.
I'm going to start using it again because green bananas and raw potatoes don't sound appealing to me.

Plus, when I was a kid, I used to eat raw potatoes and my mom made me stop saying that raw potatoes give you worms.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
Vibe,

Bob's Red Mill makes the recommended potato starch.  You place a TBS or 2 into your smoothie.  This was one of the comments on WBB and several other places.  No need to eat raw potato!  By the way, the raw potato is pulverized into mush and added to your smoothie. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »
I'll use up the inulin first.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:21:42 AM »
I take a Garden of Life pre/probiotic called RAW..  It has to be refridgerated.  Think Dr. Davis said it was one that is good to take.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 03:12:42 PM »
I love beet kvass - fermented beet juice. Lots of yummy hungry bugs but it is (apparently) very high in carbs!, an 8 oz bottle is something like 36 grams. But this is a commercial kvass and I wonder if they add sugar to it to make it more palatable.
I can't figure out how to calculate the carbs in homemade kvass. So for now, I take 1/4 cup, mix it in water and I add extra salt, still yummy but not as potent.  :-[

[/size][size=78%]And I am taking a prebiotic as well as inulin to feed the bugs in there.  [/size]

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 04:06:53 AM »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 08:55:15 AM »
This explains how 100% meat diets can work so well, a fact the veggie people don't want to mention.  Very interesting, thanks, Jan.

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »
Jan:

Thanks for that.  Makes me feel better about what all
I eat.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Very interesting article Jan.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 09:33:12 AM »
Thanks to all on this info...I never understood the "pre" and the "pro" very well...Been taking the Garden of Life capsule prebiotic (I think that's what it is) each day (and I refrigerate mine, too), plus eat a smallish raw potato that I peel, and kind of enjoy!  Doesn't taste bad to me.  But my digestive system seems to be doing great.  Also eat fermented veggies every morning, only once a day though.  Not crazy about these, but I only use green beans and I can tolerate a serving of them.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 12:53:41 PM »
Vibe Radiant:
Re Inulin--the only way to know what impact inulin has on YOUR blood sugar is to TEST your blood sugar.  You can get an inexpensive meter and test strips from Walmart (Relion brand).  You don't need a prescription.  Test right before ingesting inulin, then 1 and 2 hours after your first bite or sip.  Your blood sugar should be well below 140 at 1 hour and returning toward baseline at 2 hours.

I seem to do fine with small amounts of inulin powder.  No change in blood sugar.  It does have a sweet taste, but it's subtle.

As for beet kvass, homemade beet kvass probably has very little sugar.  The sugar in the beets gets consumed by the microbes that are doing the fermenting.  I ferment the beets once for several days until I have a really "thick" dark, kvass, then add more water to the beets and about 1/4 cup of the first batch of kvass for a second ferment, then mix them together for a good moderate intensity.  My blood sugar is not affected by this, but I try to limit the amount to about 4 oz per serving (once or twice daily) since kvass is said to have powerful (positive) effects on the liver. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 04:24:37 PM »
Regarding blood sugar testing.....Dr. Davis has always said that blood sugar ranges over 100mg/dl will result in glycating proteins irreversibly....or I thought that's what he said.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »
Hi Deanna,

This looks like a good recipe!  I hardly eat rice anymore.  It would be a welcome occasional addition to my diet, especially in the cold weather.
Thanks for posting.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »

Sponsored Links