This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Meatloaf  (Read 1682 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Meatloaf
« on: July 12, 2014, 08:52:35 PM »
I had been missing meatloaf since I went wheat free, which is somewhat strange because when I was a kid, my Mom made meatloaf all the time and I couldn't stand it. It was one of those things like steak and creamed spinach that I only began to appreciate in my mid-20s.

I found this recipe online and made it a couple nights ago:

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/paleo-meatloaf/

Like I mentioned on another thread, Trader Joe's was out of almond meal so I had to go with cashew meal instead. I also bought a food processor to make this (Target $30). But I was missing a couple other kitchen implements (measuring cups, second spatula for getting the loaf out of the pan, etc.).

Regardless, I like it, and also the fact that the 2-1/2 pounds of meat ends up providing at least 8 meals for me -- for a bachelor who doesn't cook, that's huge.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 04:02:06 AM »
Dear Bachelor Who Doesn't Cook,

HA HA!!!!   Pretty soon you will be inviting guests for dinner!  Add some salad, sauerkraut and vegetable. 

Fabulous web site with oodles of good recipes by the way.  A-A-N-N-D….DRUM ROLL….you can even wear a chefs hat and an apron!!!!   8) 8) 8)
FWIW, SousVideSupreme is having an open box sale (half price) if your are interested in fixing perfect steaks and chops. http://sousvidesupreme.com to heat.   This means you can pre-cook your favorite thick cut steak to perfect medium rare or whatever, and then pan sear in minutes for a browned crust.  Even good for burgers or any meat.  A meal of the pre-cooked sous vide  meat is ready before you can even cook your veggies.

Hope you are VERY PROUD of yourself!!!!

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:02:55 AM »
Dear Bachelor Who Doesn't Cook,

HA HA!!!!   Pretty soon you will be inviting guests for dinner!  Add some salad, sauerkraut and vegetable. 

Hope you are VERY PROUD of yourself!!!!

I second that declaration!
You have come SOOOOO far.
Not long ago you were hesitating about creating your own mayo, and now look at you!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »
Randal, who said you aren't a cook? I'd say you can cook pretty darn well. I know lots of people who can't do as well. You can cook for us anytime! If you have friends who are skeptical about meatloaf, try sautéing the onions and garlic before mixing.  The interior of the loaf doesn't get hot enough to completely cook the onion and some folks find that offensive (others of us love it). Just a variation to try when you're playing in the kitchen. Keep up the good work.  Love the egg idea. DH is already thinking up even more things to stuff in one.  Thanks for the idea.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
Great job Randal, looks fabulous!!  Keep sharing those recipes, I for one, love new ideas that work!

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »
Not to rain on Randal's parade, but has anyone tried Dr. D's WB Meatloaf from his 2nd book? Made it last night, & it even passed the hubby test.

I had been trying other meatloaf's from paleo style cooking, & they were awfully dry. Followed the recipes to a T, & still dry, so it must be the recipe's fault, not my oven or me.

Sorry, I won't be making your recipe, Randal. DH saw a meatloaf recipe on TV w/hard cooked eggs in the center, & made a comment that he wouldn't eat that. Not wanting to make 2 separate meals, it will just be skipped.

My mother did that, & I vowed never to fall into that trap. My father wanted the same thing every single day, except for the holidays (Boring!!). My younger brother didn't like most foods, so she catered to him also. Me? The only thing I didn't care for at the time that I was living at home was liver. Now I like it, once my late m-i-l made it. Learned a lot from her.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Using hard boiled eggs was a thrifty way to extend ground meat when meat was rationed during the World Wars and also during the Depression.  You can add fat to the mixture to make the meatloaf juicier, add broth, add tomato sauce or even sauteed (in butter or oil) veggies like green pepper and/or mushrooms.  I will even place strips of uncooked bacon on the top.   If you are using grass fed, pastured meat, then adding extra fat ( like grass fed butter, lard, tallow or even coconut oil) is important.  The grass fed meats are leaner than the commercial grain fed meats.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
The eggs in the middle are optional. I like them though, only because it's different from the meatloaf I knew as a kid.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »

Sponsored Links