This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: WBCB recipes  (Read 14446 times)

Weeksie

• Wheat free since 03/11/13
    • View Profile
WBCB recipes
« on: May 08, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »
I experimented w/several "bread" type recipes.  Having issues with the flour tortillas and crackers.  The tortillas weren't pliable and the crackers weren't crisp.  Anyone else having issues and could offer some suggestions?  The focaccia was awesome!  the pancakes were very good and my grandchildren ate them with no complaints.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: WBCB recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 04:32:19 AM »
I haven't made the tortillas yet so can't help you there.....the flaxseed crackers, on the other hand, I do make and I tend to roll my dough thinner than the WBC recommends.....makes them crispier. Also have added ground caraway seeds for a "rye" effect! I tend to make these when we have company or need to take an appetizer somewhere but haven't had good luck storing them for later use.

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 01:11:19 PM »
I made the tortillas yesterday and they were a flop  :'(   I had a heck of a time getting them rolled out  (that was probably just me) and they weren't at all pliable.  I would really like them to "work" so that I can serve my DH (who is "trying" this wheat-free thing) wraps in place of the sandwiches that he loves.
Help!  ;D

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
The focaccia was awesome!

Weeksie, I agree!  I cut up the baked herbed foccaccia with a pizza cutter into smaller cracker-size pieces, then freeze the batch (after taking one or two for myself, of course  :) ).  I reheat them in the toaster oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.  It's excellent as an appetizer or accompaniment to a meal. 

I also make cheese crackers using the cheddar crust recipe from the Chicken Pot Pie recipe in WBCB and Gourmet Girl Cooks:

Grain Free Cheese Crackers:
 2 c almond flour
 2 T cold butter, diced
 1 egg
 1 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
 1 tsp Italian seasoning (or more to taste)
 1/2 tsp sea salt
 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
 1/2 tsp smoked paprika

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In medium bowl, combine all ingredients.  Cut in with pastry cutter until crumbly and all flour is moistened and cheese is pulverized into the mixture.  I think you could use your food processor for that step.  Press dough together in a ball and place on a sheet of parchment paper.  Flatten out lightly into a square shape.  Cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out to about 1/8-1/4" thickness.  Cut into small squares,  rectangles, or circles using a biscuit cutter.  Reshape, roll and cut unused edges into squares/rectangles/circles.

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned.  Cool on wire rack. 

Freeze leftovers and reheat in toaster oven for 10 minutes at 300 degrees.  I get raves for these crackers, even from wheat eaters.  Enjoy!

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Wheatless in Seattle.  Thank you.  iwill try your cracker recipe his weekend. We had family gathering over weekend & I made WB ranch (huge hit-everyone wanted recipe).  Bought crackers Dr. D recommended in WB. They were awesome. My non-WB family members liked them too

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »
Weeksie, what were the crackers Dr. D recommends?

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 11:05:47 AM »
Wheatless in Seattle.  Thank you.  iwill try your cracker recipe his weekend.

I think they're going on my "to make" list for this weekend as well.  Thanks!
~Teresa

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
Jan in Key West. Could you please post your flax cracker recipe. Adding caraway seeds sounds yummy. Thanks so much

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »
Weeksie, what were the crackers Dr. D recommends?

They are called Mary's Gone Crackers. Found them at Sprouts - on bottom shelf. Had to ask for help to locate!!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:55:19 PM »
Thanks Weeksie. We've had those a few times too. I usually keep a pack of rice crackers that we find at Whole Foods (not on the aisle w/ the crackers). They have fewer bad ingredients than most everything I've seen. I just keep them on hand and we'll have 5 or so when I make broccoli cheese soup or if someone is here and we make a snack.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Sorry folks.....just got back to the lake for the summer and have lots and lots of lawn stuff to do! It's overwhelming!  But I will try to get online at least once a day to keep up......the flaxseed cracker recipe......I use  Dr. D's recipe in his cookbook but add ground caraway seeds to the batter......they taste just like rye crackers!!!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
Thank you so much. Have a blessed summer!

Luna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 01:23:21 PM »
I would like to know which recipes yall have tried, and if there are any "keepers" amongst them. I have heard about the successes yall have had with the WBCB Foccacia and that is next on my list to try.

I made the WBCB peanut butter pie and it was awful. The filling wasn't so bad - although i only had two slivers, brought two pieces to my doctor (who nagged me to start eating the Wheat Belly way) and and threw the rest out. Such a waste! Nothing beats a graham cracker crust though. This crust left a horrible film on the roof of your mouth! Gag!

In a previous post, I mentioned those yummy Fluffy Little Almond Flour Pancakes. I froze the leftovers, and heated them in a toaster the next day. Just as good as fresh!

I know I've made more recipes, but I can't think what they are right now. But I'll let you know if there are any good ones!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
Luna, we love the WB cheesecake. We make it for birthdays. It's in the first WB book. Don't know if its in the WBCB or not. It has a pecan crust.

Luna

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
There is a recipe for Raspberry Chocolate cheesecake in the WBCB that uses a pecan crust. I did not buy the WB book. But i do have havethe coomboom. How many recipes are in the WB book? Enough for me to purchase that book? (I bought a cheaper "synopsis" book instead, and then quickly found his blog.)

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
There is a recipe for Raspberry Chocolate cheesecake in the WBCB that uses a pecan crust. I did not buy the WB book. But i do have havethe coomboom. How many recipes are in the WB book? Enough for me to purchase that book? (I bought a cheaper "synopsis" book instead, and then quickly found his blog.)

Luna, about 28 pages of recipes. I haven't made many of them. I like really easy recipes, like one-pot recipes, not using mixers, blenders, etc. Plus, we don't miss the breads and our dessert of choice is chocolate.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 01:52:49 PM »
I've spent a lot of time the last year and a half searching the web for recipes, especially the paleo blogs.

Luna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 03:50:48 PM »
I guess I can do without the WB book.  That's what I though the WBCB was: mostly "bread" recipes.  And I didn't miss the bread either.  However, what I've discovered I DO miss is the quick lunches/breakfasts, or the ease of slapping a sandwich together.  So now I'm looking into WF breads again.  One can only make so many salads for lunch!! 

My mom is freaking out over how much cooking I do.  She says when I go back to work and don't have the time to cook, she will have nothing to eat.  I'm afraid that may be the case!  LOL!

Oh, so to finish my discussion on what I've cooked, from the WBCB, I have made:

the chocolate chip cookies!  They aren't half bad!  A very good substitute for the "real thing" I would say.  I did freeze half of them, and we haven't touched them yet.  But the ones I did not freeze got "soggy" the next day, as if the nut oils soaked in to them, and they have more of a "cake" texture and less of a "crispy crumb" like texture of a cookie.  But they're still good!

The Thai Noodle Salad with Peanut Sauce - awesome!  I will make this one again and again. 

Pecan Breaded Pork Chops - another awesome dish that I have made several times and will again.

Fettucini Alfredo - I am making a "version" of this one, again, tonight.  Very good.

Better Than Mashed Potatoes - I've made these mashed cauliflower like potatoes several times.  It sure is good, although it may be "Better For You" Than Mashed Potatoes, rather than Better Than Mashed Potatoes.  It's different.  Still good, but definitely different than mashed potatoes.

Fried Apples with Bacon and Pecans from the Well Fed book.  Simply amazing!  Goes GREAT with the pecan breaded pork chops!

And from the book Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo, these recipes:
Broc-cauli Chowder with Bacon - I ended up added about 1 cup half-and-half to this soup to make it creamier and more "comforting."
Green Beans with Shallots - very good!
CAndied Carrots - they weren't very candied, to me; and on the VERY al-dente side!  I would cook them a little longer, or slice them a little thinner, and add more dates or a sprinkle of xylitol or something.

Oh!  Time to go make dinner!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »
[quote author=Luna link=topic=144.msg1358#msg1358 date=136865464
My mom is freaking out over how much cooking I do.  She says when I go back to work and don't have the time to cook, she will have nothing to eat.  I'm afraid that may be the case!  LOL!

Get into the habit of making enough for more than one meal. Almost everything I make is enough for 2 or more meals. If it's something big that we get tired of, then I freeze half...like pork loin or a ham. Both those I make in the crockpot...such a timesaver. I'm all for easy...every time. I don't always use my dinner leftovers for lunch the next day. For lunch I may make tuna salad and put it on a green salad...save my homemade leftovers for dinner. When I buy ground beef, we brown about 5 pounds with onions, garlic, salt & pepper. Then I freeze it in 1# pkgs. soooo many things you can make from that...quickly...1# makes taco salad, 1# makes spaghetti sauce to go over spaghetti squash, 2# makes chili or soup, etc. It makes it soooo easy. When I make a meatloaf, I make 2 and freeze one. You will learn shortcuts and ways to make it easier. I don't cook every day...sometimes only 2-4 times a week, because I have an arsenal of stuff already prepared. It will work out for you!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:32:38 PM »
We love the herbed focaccia and use it for pizza crust.....also keep a few slices in the freezer and it toasts great! My carrot muffins came out heavy and not sweet enough so next time I will add more stevia and use my honeyville almond flour rather than Bob's red mill.....also would be good with cream cheese on top!  I love Maria Emmerick's recipe for sub buns.....great for sandwiches and burgers.....although I'm liking my burgers on lettuce wraps too. WB's cauliflower rice is good....especially with grated cheese. When I spend the afternoon cooking, I tend to make a lot and freeze portions for later. Next week end I'm going to experiment with some other things so will keep you posted on my successes and failures.....I love tweaking recipes! 

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »
I've made the WBCB carrot muffins 3 or 4 times now and we love them.  I usually make them with Trader Joe's almond meal which works very well.  I prefer muffins not too sweet so I use only half the suggested amount for a sweetener.  I usually only add raisins to about half the batch, and only 3 or 4 raisins per muffin at that.  These muffins keep well for a week or so, or in freezer to be used when needed.

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
I made cheddar cheese biscuits today. Not too bad!  We're having grilled burgers tonite. DH asked me to buy buns for him. I'll use biscuit as my burger vessel.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
I make the cheddar cheese biscuits every week! I use them for everything. They make great garlic toast. I put them under the broiler for a minute or two with some garlic butter. Yummy. They're so versatile :) Haven't tried them as a hamburger bun though. I'll be sure to do that next time we bbq burgers!

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
Can I use almond meal in place of ground almonds for pizza crust recipe in WBCB pg 232.

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 07:48:05 PM »
Take a look at pages 66 - 67 in WBCB where Dr D discusses the difference between the blanched almond flour and almond meal.  Generally the blanched flour is used where a lighter texture is best in the final baked product; the meal when it doesn't matter.  Even blanched almond flours are different, as he mentions.  Bob's Red Mill (available in most grocery stores) is unpressed - some of the oil is not removed, which makes it heavier than other brands and I've found this to be true.

For pizza crust I'd use the almond meal if you have it, if not the blanched flour should work as well.   I haven't tried this recipe yet, so maybe someone who has can comment here.

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:34 PM »
For pizza crust I'd use the almond meal if you have it, if not the blanched flour should work as well.   I haven't tried this recipe yet, so maybe someone who has can comment here.

I made the crust with almond meal but 1/4 cup short so also used almond flour. I loved the pizza crust. DH said it was different. He is not WF. Will use this recipe again.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:45:26 PM by Weeksie »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2013, 05:42:46 AM »
Has anyone tried "Two Moms in the Raw" crackers? Apparently Whole Foods carry them.....zero carb.....made with flaxseed & kombu (kelp).  They make a few other cereal products as well, but they are higher carb, not to mention they use agave sometimes, but not in the crackers.

http://www.twomomsintheraw.com/

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
We're having steak & salad tonite. Last nite it made more focassia bread - thought today Why not cut in small cubes and make croutons!!  Brilliant I said. Will let you know. 

Oh my!  Focassia croutons rule!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:00:05 PM by Weeksie »

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2013, 01:34:22 PM »
Yes please let us know how that turns out!  I would love a crouton right about now.   :)
~Teresa

Gem

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2013, 01:50:32 PM »
Hahahahaha!  Crouton?  That wouldn't cut it for me!  Ha!  Y'all are making me hungry!  Guess that's the drawback of reading a food forum!  Best to have a snack in hand (and mouth!) while reading!  :D

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
Yes please let us know how that turns out!  I would love a crouton right about now.   :)

Didn't get to grill. Dodging tornadoes here in Oklahoma.  Leftovers. But yes I did make the croutons.

Focassia croutons rule!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:04:17 PM by Weeksie »

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 04:06:33 PM »
Weeksie - my prayers are with you for safe passage through this tornado season!  Keep us posted.

Weeksie

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
Yes we need prayers. My family safe again but so many others not. The weather was so beautiful today. Who would have thought just last night Mother Nature was so angry. I'm just thankful Moore was spared last night.....and so were we.
Thank you.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »
Yikes Weeksie. That must have been scary.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »
Be safe Weeksie.....our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 08:02:03 AM »

Sponsored Links