This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Dr. jaminet - The Perfect Health Diet  (Read 1956 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Dr. jaminet - The Perfect Health Diet
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:09:09 PM »
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2014/05/qa-fat-head-readers/

This is the diet Tim aka Tatertot mentions as being his favored, and I remember now, he's the one who is against they VERY low carb diets.

A quote:

"My answer to vlc eater above about why 30% carb is best for diabetes also applies to Candida: you want a well nourished body, including nourishment with glucose, but without an excess that could feed the infection. Itís only carb intakes above 30% that provide that excess. Carb intakes below 30% starve immune function, extracellular matrix maintenance, and mucus production, all of which help defend against Candida.
Eating liver, getting sunshine, intermittent fasting, circadian rhythm entrainment, and eating fermented vegetables are other elements of a good anti-Candida strategy."

Has anyone else delved into his book and website, and what do you think of his theories?  Do you think 30% carbs is too high for weight loss?  He obviously doesn't.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Dr. jaminet - The Perfect Health Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:28 PM »
If you want to see the opinions on PHD from prominent non-SAD nutrition advocates, check out:
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/is-there-any-such-thing-as-safe-starches-on-a-low-carb-diet/11809
It includes Dr. Davis.

The Jaminets responded at:
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/paul-jaminets-response-to-the-critics-of-his-safe-starches-concept/11920

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 02:51:55 PM »
The Perfect Health Diet is one of my favorite books.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
After reading the The Perfect Health Diet, I tried adding a little more carb to my diet and my fasting glucose and A1c went down a few points.  I had previously read about low carb diets raising fasting glucose and, for me, it seems to be true.

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 12:08:38 PM »
I seem to do well on a very low carb diet BUT I keep an open mind and think the Jaminets make some good points. The "safe" starches happen to have a lot of resistant starch if properly prepared (ie cooked and cooled), so it may be that these safe starches tend to get all the way to the large intestine and are metabolized as saturated fatty acids, rather than break down into sugars.

I've been experimenting with cooked and cooled rice and green plantains and they have not raised my blood sugar, they've lowered it!  Nor do these foods interrupt my ketosis (measured via breath meter).  So there's something to this. Nearly every culture eats some form of safe starch, rice being most common. And convenience dictates that it is commonly cooked in large batches and cooled. Rice noodles and wrappers used in many Asian cultures are full of RS.

So I would not dismiss the Jaminets. If you want to try their approach, consider cooking And cooling the starches first to increase RS and keep a close eye on your blood sugar.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:19:24 PM »
Good explanation, Janknitz.  The Jaminets do recommend cooking in bulk once or twice a week.  It may be the cooling is why the plan works, since it would mean you are eating more resistant starch all week.  Hmmm, interesting thought.  Glad to hear from someone who had the same response to a bit more carb.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »
I have a good friend who has type 2 diabetes, but hasn't been willing to give up wheat.   Her blood sugar has been in the 180 range consistently for a long time.  I suggested she do a test to see if resistant starch might help her.   She bought Bob Red Mill's potato starch.   She's only a few days into her experiment, taking 2 teaspoons per day.  The first morning after taking it, her blood sugar dropped to 120.  The following morning was 158.    I'll be getting more readings from her over the next week.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:09:32 PM »

Sponsored Links