This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Nitrate and Nitrite  (Read 2282 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Nitrate and Nitrite
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
The whole bacon issue is still on top of my list of things to figure out.  I recently came across this blog, and have been perusing the misc. posts, among others the bread thread I just posted in recipes a little while ago. 

This post is particularly informative, I really learned some things, and now feel a little better about ingesting bacon once in a while, since I take mass quantities of Vitamin C daily. ;)

http://authoritynutrition.com/are-nitrates-and-nitrites-harmful/

enthuz

• View Profile
Re: Nitrate and Nitrite
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:50:17 AM »
I'll stick with my No Nitrate/Nitrite meats. I just wish that I could easily find some Pepperoni and other uncured meats for pizzas and breakfast. I will be making my own homemade sausage. I actually grew up making those on the farm. I just need my fennel and some more sage. I keep forgetting it when I go to the store.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:37:13 AM »
> I'll stick with my No Nitrate/Nitrite meats.

Do they contain "celery juice" or "celery salt"?

If so, they contain nitrates. In fact, they are apt to contain more nitrate than if the seller just used nitrate additives.

Plus (a big minus, actually), "celery" tells you that the food producer is either clueless (fooling themselves) or a charlatan (fooling the customers). It's not clear which is more alarming, but it identifies a brand to avoid in either case.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:51:58 AM »
It says the Nitrosamines form after heating at high temperatures - but doesn't mention what that would be.  it does say cooking in the microwave is safest, since it doesn't heat not sure about that?  I wonder if a oven temp of 350 F would be high enough to cause them.  Anyone know the specifics?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »
I'll stick with my No Nitrate/Nitrite meats. I just wish that I could easily find some Pepperoni and other uncured meats for pizzas and breakfast. I will be making my own homemade sausage. I actually grew up making those on the farm. I just need my fennel and some more sage. I keep forgetting it when I go to the store.

Was wondering if you would share your sausage recipes with us?  I have a powerful meat grinder, and it came with sausage maker, but haven't used or even looked into it.  That would be cool to make my own though, I do make the loose kind, with the spices and then fry little patties. 

Do you buy casings, and if so, where?

This might be fun!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »
That's a great post, Rita, just read through it, including the comments.  He doesn't mention the heat aspect, but I am going to search for that one, need to know now, so I can eat my bacon and enjoy it guilt free again!!

:)

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »

Do they contain "celery juice" or "celery salt"?

If so, they contain nitrates. In fact, they are apt to contain more nitrate than if the seller just used nitrate additives.

Plus (a big minus, actually), "celery" tells you that the food producer is either clueless (fooling themselves) or a charlatan (fooling the customers). It's not clear which is more alarming, but it identifies a brand to avoid in either case.

It has celery powder, but no listing of juice nor salt other than sea salt. It's not salty at all and has no affect on my HBP. It was recommended by my doctor.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »
Was wondering if you would share your sausage recipes with us?  I have a powerful meat grinder, and it came with sausage maker, but haven't used or even looked into it.  That would be cool to make my own though, I do make the loose kind, with the spices and then fry little patties. 

Do you buy casings, and if so, where?

This might be fun!

I will post it this weekend. I wasn't doing the casings, however yes, we would buy the casings and stuff them too. It isn't hard at all, just takes time unless you have a good meat grinder and attachments to do the casings.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »

Sponsored Links