This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Substitution for Dates & Bananas?  (Read 2402 times)

Loanne

• View Profile
Substitution for Dates & Bananas?
« on: July 25, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »
I found a recipe for Banana Walnut muffins that sounds doable in the repertoire of WB cooking...except I don't know what to abut the dates and bananas.  I have banana extract, but in using the calorie converter here - http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php, I'm coming up with carb counts way too high.  So...dates are the issue.  Not real fond of dates anyway, but they must serve some purpose in the recipe.

1/4 c coconut oil
2 medium bananas (will use extract)
3 dates (??)
10 drops stevia
1/4 c coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c walnuts, chopped
3 eggs

Blend eggs, oil, bananas, dates and stevia on medium speed in food processor; add in coconut flour, salt and baking soda. Blend until smooth.  Fold in walnuts.  Scoop 1/4 cup batter into a lined muffin pan.  Bake at 350 20-25 minutes.  Cool and serve.

Another problem with this recipe is it doesn't indicate how many muffins it makes.  But I used 6 for the analysis.

Thoughts?

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Substitution for Dates & Bananas?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
Loanne,

the dates can be substituted easily, just use your sweetener of choice.  A lot of paleo recipes use dates as a natural sweetener.  I use Swerve.

The bananas are a moist filler, and you could probably use something like almond butter, or even some almond flour, along with more fat, maybe some butter in addition to the CO

The problem with converting a recipe like this, is that you would have to experiment a bit.  The fact that it's muffins makes it easier, they are kept in shape by the pans, and if you use paper cup inserts, even better.

Flaxseed or Chia seeds with a little extra fluid like water or almond milk or whatever you use would also work.

Good luck and let us know how they turn out, if you make them.  I'm always substituting and experimenting, as long as the ingredients are good, I always eat the product, no matter how it looks. ;)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »
Thank you, Barb!  Will give it a go this weekend and see how it turns out.  :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 12:08:46 PM »
Today I was thinking about what else one could substitute bananas with in a recipe, and zucchini came to mind.  It wouldn't be as sweet, but the moisture might help, and the bulk, to replace them.  The cake I'm making later on has bananas, and I'm going to use them, just to see how it comes out, but I think zucchini would be great.  I have a Carrot Cake recipe that uses mostly zucchini and it is very moist.

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Please post your carrot cake, DH would be so happy!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »
Will do when I get back, promise!  It's Dana Carpender's recipe, in case you have the book .. her first recipe book, sometimes you can find them by google, too.  If not, I will search for it later on! ;)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 12:19:46 PM »
http://bake375.blogspot.com/2012/06/low-carb-zucchini-carrot-cake-with-lc.html

Found it and decided to post it so I don't forget!

This is really delicious, I haven't made it in a while, and see it uses whey protein powder and oil.  I think back then, the whole Paleo thing hadn't taken over, so not sure if I would use those today.  I might substitute some butter and CO, and perhaps a different nut, like pecans along with some almond flour.

If I have time this week, I might make this and post it on the recipe blog.

If you try it, please let us know how it turns out and what changes you might have made!

;)

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 03:16:07 PM »
Well, I made the Paleo banana nut muffins.  They turned out hard and dry and no banana flavor.  I added 1/4 tsp banana extract, 3 more Stevia drops (in addition to the 10 it called for), and 1/4 cup almond butter (not sweetened kind).  They're good, though, since I haven't had bread is so long.  I'll eat them with butter on.  Probably won't make them again.  I'll stick with recipes I don't have to manipulate so much.  But maybe 1/2 cup of almond butter, and more sweetener would've worked better.  Thank you, Barbara, for your suggestions.  I've printed them to use in the future. I made deviled eggs while the muffins were baking, they turned out great!  Now I'm on the hunt for a loaf bread recipe, and think I'll use Dr. D's from his cookbook...pretty sure that will turn out!  Am wanting more variety in my food choices since I'm getting tired of the basic stuff.  Haven't lost anything in over a month, and have 50 to go.  Down 91 and holding, so it's time to do something different.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »
Wow Loanne! Down 91...that's impressive. Anybody else on here lost that much?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
Loanne,

I'm joining Deanna in WOW!!!  Give yourself a hug!

GourmetGirlCooks has posted several excellent bread recipes on her blog.  Not complicated either.  My favorite is Dr. D's pumpernickel bread (rye bread recipe + a few other ingredients.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:10 AM »
Loanne - I'm the third WOW and congrats on your success!

I agree that sometimes it's easier to find a recipe that uses the ingredients you have and want to use, rather than trying to change one up totally. 

Changing up is a good idea, let us know how it goes and what you do, it's always good to learn what others are doing to get things moving again - Good Luck!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »
Give yourself a round of applause,  few people accomplish what you have.  I just know you'll beat that stall.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:28 AM »

Sponsored Links