This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Hello from Canada!  (Read 2234 times)

Dianne

• View Profile
Hello from Canada!
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:38:07 AM »
Hi everyone!  I started my wheat free journey last August and other than a couple of "blips" along the way (Christmas and a 2 wk vacation to Mexico), I have been true to it.  I was amazed at how good I felt after just a matter of days after starting..."fog" lifted, energized, etc...and my appetite diminished (I used to be hungry ALL of the time).  I thought...this is awesome, I have finally found a way of eating that works for me...with the diminished appetite, I will finally loose the 25 lbs that has gradually crept up on me (AGAIN).  However, I have NOT lost my belly and am so frustrated.  I am constantly told "it is my age" (57) that is to blame...that is why my mid-section has grown and the only thing to get rid of it is major cardio.  I exercise regularly...resistance training (using rubber cords) every second day and walk/hike/bike often. So I am fit.  I take kelp tablets to support my thyroid (tests indicate all ok there). 
Two weeks ago, I decided to go dairy-free as well.  In addition to my resistance training, I have been powerwalking for 50 minutes every morning (approx. 4 miles) and often adding a bike ride or another walk in during the day.  Still no weight loss...the belly is still there!!!  I'm at a loss as to what to do.  It is so frustrating...especially when I read and hear of so many people who's pounds "just melt away" once they went wheat-free!
Any suggestions?
Thanks for "listening"!! :)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Canada!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:11:19 AM »
Welcome Dianne!     A few of us with stalled weight losses are thinking that it is due to the fact that we are not getting enough fat in.   I've been on the skim / reduced fat / canola oil mindset all this time.   We just started a little experiment here:  http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,102.0.html

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
Hi Dianne,

I believe we've already "met" on the WB blog--I post as Ms Thistlebottom there.

I could have written your post, except for a few small details. I'm 59, walk and hike often, do resistance training 2-3 times a week, jump on my rebounder, started taking Zumba classes, etc. All my "numbers" are good, except for the number on the scale. And I'm not talking vanity pounds--I'm a good 40 lbs overweight and "obese" on the BMI scale. I've given up most dairy except for a little butter and cream, and I have at most a handful of berries or half an apple a day. So I don't think fruit or dairy are derailing me. I'm trying to increase my fat, though, and get close to nutritional ketosis, and it does seem to be helping a bit.

I get frustrated, too, when I read that people lose 20+ lbs in two or three months without exercise. I feel GREAT,  but I was so hoping this would be my Holy Grail for weight loss too. I'm not giving up, though. There's a solution out there, and we will find it!  :) 

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:31:08 AM »
Yes, thank you for introducing me to this forum.  It's nice to find that I'm not the only one experiencing this!  Oh, sometimes I feel like it is such a guessing game!  It's amazing the things that go through your mind...too much fat?...not enough fat?...too much exercise?....not enough exercise?. am I eating too much?...too little??....maybe it's this...maybe it's that....!! Sheesh!! >:(

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »
Thanks Rita.  I will check into the experiment...I was thinking I was eating too much fat.....such a guessing game!

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
Yes, thank you for introducing me to this forum.  It's nice to find that I'm not the only one experiencing this!  Oh, sometimes I feel like it is such a guessing game!  It's amazing the things that go through your mind...too much fat?...not enough fat?...too much exercise?....not enough exercise?. am I eating too much?...too little??....maybe it's this...maybe it's that....!! Sheesh!! >:(

Sounds just like me, and I fear that I'm starting to drive my poor, patient DH crazy. Every morning I come downstairs (after having weighed myself) and make a new declaration: "OK--NO MORE cream in my coffee, and I mean it!" Or, "OK--that's IT! No more dairy/fruit/carbs with dinner!"

One thing I have noticed. I've increased my exercise this week (Zumba class started, and I've been walking outside more) and I've been ravenous. I even woke up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep because I was so hungry. So maybe the solution is more food (and fat?), not less? After all the years of yo-yo dieting, I'm rather phobic about upping the fat and calories.       

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 01:51:55 PM »
Welcome Dianne!  This is a great place to find support, answers, research, ideas and most of all friends    who are sharing the same journey.

Regarding the weight issue...what if you dropped the fruit for awhile, along with the dairy?  Since they both spike insulin.....maybe that would kick start ketosis? Dr. D says that the visceral fat is sometimes the last to go.....

p.s.  Joan....I didn't know you are Ms. Thistlebottom!  Great moniker!

Dianne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
I  totally agree Joan...it's really hard to wrap your head around eating fat when you have conditioned yourself for years and years to eat low/no fat!  I just had half an avocado sliced up in my lunch salad...yikes! :D

Thanks, Jan, I will try eliminating fruit as well.  I don't normally eat much fruit other than perhaps some frozen blueberries in my morning smoothie but this past couple of weeks, I have gone back to eating much more.  I read the Paleo Diet and thought I might follow it and they allow lots of fruits but upon reflection, I think I will stick with WB and just eliminate dairy.

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
Welcome Dianne!  This is a great place to find support, answers, research, ideas and most of all friends    who are sharing the same journey.

Welcome, Dianne.  I agree with Jan.  I'm very grateful for this forum's support of my WB lifestyle as I have no one to share it with here.

If it weren't for the good results on my annual wellness exam, I'd be having even more difficulty eating that much fat.  Low-fat conditioning is hard to overcome, but I'm enjoying every delicious spoonful.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »

Sponsored Links