This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Regrow Veggies from Kitchen Scraps  (Read 2259 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Regrow Veggies from Kitchen Scraps
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:41 AM »
http://www.simplehouseholdtips.com/foods-you-can-regrow-from-kitchen-scraps.html

Something I look forward to once I retire, is growing my own vegetables again.  I was an avid gardner, before I went back to work full time 10 years ago.  I had an abundance of homegrown veggies, even a pumpkin patch of sorts.

I thought this was interesting, a reminder of what my Uncle in Germany did often, he even had his own compost heap, where all vegetable scraps were dumped and he had things like zucchini growing around it, so it didn't look bad at all.

I miss gardening a lot, do any of you grow your own veggies?  Ideas and tips for container gardening?

juno jones

• View Profile
Re: Regrow Veggies from Kitchen Scraps
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
I was thinking of asking if people gardened. :D

When I lived in a house, I had an amazing garden. I currently live in an apt but I have a flower box that often also holds herbs and I have a tomato in a container this year, it's an old (heirloom?) variety called 'tumbling tom'. I like it because it has a short bushy habit and lots of early ripening cherry tomatos compared to my other plants. I have to watch how many non-flowering things I put in the box. My landlord is an ass and complains that my stuff doesn't flower enough as it is (I grow perennials instead of putting in disposable flowers every year...).

I am lucky this year. We live in a cul-de-sac and our neighbors with a yard and garden have let me use some of their space. I am growing yellow pear tomatoes, romas, zuchinni, butternut squash, sweet mama squash and more herbs.

As long as the varieties are heirloom you can save the seeds and regrow.

I love popping out to the porch to pick a couple of tomatoes for the salad...if they make it that far, I usually just eat them to savor real tomato flavor. :D

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
I grew up with a mother who lived for gardening (and flowers), so we all (there were 5 of us) learned the art of growing all kinds of vegetables, canning, freezing, etc, and what weeds looked like!  :)   Today I have tomatoes in pots.  And flowers, of course, and am especially proud of the old 4 o'clock flower that's so fragrant later in the afternoon and evening.  I don't use any chemical fertilizers or sprays, and last summer, I canned 40 pints of tomatoes.  I only finished using them up a couple of months ago.  This has been an exceptionally hot summer here in Idaho, however, and the tomatoes look really stressed.  Am just hoping for the best cause I don't know what else to do for them, and trying not to over-water.  I have had large gardens in the past, though, and love digging in them. Have grown everything, from eggplant to spinach, green beans, even catnip last summer, which made my cats very happy!  But since I'm renting, it's all in containers.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:02 PM »
That's fascinating about you big time gardeners!  I miss it a lot too bad about landlords and their little rules, I remember one year, when I still lived in another house, with a strict HOA, we let one of the pumpkins we had out by the mailbox, linger too long, and it got some frost, and then started mushing away.  I didn't pick it up in time, and the seeds were already flowing out, so I coved it up with some dirt and debris, leaves and pine straw, and in the spring, of course it started growing, and it was the neighborhood talk, little kids would come by and visit it and watch it grow.  We were in the end of a cul de sac, and I remember the little ones with their parents stopping by and just so happy to see this pumpkin patch. Well, sure enough, the letter came soon after the harvest, stating that "no vegetable gardening in front yards is allowed"  I just had to really laugh, and was happy to move. 

Now I have a deck upstairs and a patio downstairs, in this townhouse, and again, of course very strict about plantings around the house but I think on the deck it would be ok to have some containers with tomatoes and herbs.  It gets so hot out their in the summer, not sure if it would survive, with me working all day.  But now that I'm home, I might start a late-but-never-too-late herb garden . ;)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »
Loanne,

The very high temperatures are stressful for tomatoes.  They don't like it at all and don't produce as much fruit.  I used to grow them in abundance.
The past ten years we have had just too many heat waves for much too long a time period and the plants never seemed to recover, hardly producing enough tomatoes to make the work worthwhile.  No amount of shade, water or careful soil enhancement could undue the excessive heat. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
We lived in State College, PA for a year, back when my husband was in Grad school I started a small garden behind the house we were renting, and I have never seen such an abundance of tomatoes and green beans!  We would take them to NY and give to our family and friends, it was amazing.  It's all in the soil that is some good farmland up there!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
BarbinNC,

This entire region has wonderful soil for crops.  Just north of me in NY State, the very best onions are grown in the rich volcanic soil.  NJ is great for tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries too.  This area was settled by Dutch and German farmers who knew how to enhance the soil naturally to keep it productive for crops and livestock, long before Big Ag had their clutches on farmers.  The native Indians didn't ruin the soil and the land grant farmers (1600's) could produce foods abundantly, always enhancing the soil naturally so they could survive for generations using rotation of crops and other methods.   Horse and chicken manure and veggie scraps, including egg shells and broken up bones were aged and added to the soil to enhance it.

juno jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:37:14 PM »
Here in the Pacific Northwest (near seattle) we have the problem of the temps often being too cool and the weather too wet for tomatoes. Go figure. :-\

The best garden I grew was on a bed that we had dumped all the grass clippings the year before and turned the soil the next spring with some organic bone meal I found. The hubbard squash climbed up the garden shed and into the trees.

Fresh herbs are great. I love the fact that they are useful and generally low maintenance. I'm even happier that they are good for you...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:02 PM »
While in KW during the winter months, we grow all our herbs and tomatoes in pots (although the tomatoes don't always do well!)....,and last year planted a large avocado tree, (actually we bought a bigger house last year because we needed a bigger kitchen and more bedrooms and bathrooms for family) to replace the high-carb mango tree.  Up here in the north, we have our groundskeeper who plants for us a small garden in late April/early May for us of lettuce, tomatoes, peppers etc....which we tend once we're back. We may extend the garden next year.....if he is so inclined.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
In Germany, they use "Odel" as their manure.  I don't know the exact translation, but if you have ever been in Germany and driven through the country side, with window open in the car, you know what I'm talking about.  Ewwwww!!!  When my daughter was little, she would say "Mommy, what is that horrible smell?"  and I would just laugh and tell her that's the cows making pee pee and poo poo and that's pretty much the truth.  The farmers collect the waste of their cattle and spread it out over the fields during the growing season, and it truly smells awful.  But they don't care, it's healthy and natural, and makes those veggies grow like crazy!

Wish I had some odel to make my garden grow in the future, lol!

:)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
I just made my lunch that included cucumbers, spinach, green pepper and tomatoes ...all from my garden.  :)  My garden has vermicompost (worm poop) in the soil, which is the result of my kitchen scraps and paper waste that my little worker worms have kindly made for me.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
That sounds lovely, Rita!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »

Sponsored Links