This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Erythritol - carbs don't count?  (Read 2347 times)

VibeRadiant

Erythritol - carbs don't count?
« on: July 28, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »
Has anyone heard that the carbs in erythritol are not absorbed by the body therefore the carbs don't count?

I was reading up on Truvia today and I came across this article http://authoritynutrition.com/erythritol/ it says that because it is a sugar alcohol, the body doesn't recognise it and it gets excreted as is, without any changes made to it by the body.
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]I made coconut oil chocolate using stevia and it might as well been drain cleaner, that stuff is vile!!!! so I wanted to revisit Truvia as I had good results with it in the past and many articles stated what I wrote above.  [/size]

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Erythritol - carbs don't count?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
From what I know, it has no net carbs.   ;)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »
not sure what a net carb is. like net fiber, I don't understand that.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:33:40 PM »
If your body can't absorb or digest something, then it doesn't count.  So if for instance, a vegetable has 20 g carbs, but 10 g is indigestible fiber, then we would call that 10 g net carbs.  Same with the sugar alcohols, while they are classified as a carb, they go right through your digestive system, without being absorbed.  Hence why they can cause many people stomach upset and diarrhea.  But as far as caloric carb content, they would be considered nil.

Hope that's correct, but that's the way I learned it.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:17 PM »
wow! So erythritol has zero calories and the carbs don't count. that's amazing!

On the xylitol canada site http://www.xylitolcanada.com/erythritol-vs-xylitol/ they say
"Nutritional Content[/size]: Both xylitol and erythritol are safe for diabetics and low-glycemic.  Xylitol is a very low 7 on the glycemic index, and erythritol is 0.  While both contain 4g of carbs per teaspoon (or 0 grams of net carbs, if you are on the Atkins or other low-carb diet), if you’re looking for a zero-calorie sweetener, erythitrol has the edge.  Xylitol has only 10 calories per teaspoon, so it all depends on your lifestyle."[/i]
[/size][/i]
[/size]So I can eat my chocolate bliss bars and not go out of ketosis! I think I'm going to cry :'( 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
Perlmutter doesn't subtract fiber from total carbs....although Davis does.... I think it evens out for the most part, although we've stopped subtracting fiber and count the total carb value and stay way under 50 daily....we're also low fiber and make our own fermented veggies.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
wow! So erythritol has zero calories and the carbs don't count. that's amazing!

On the xylitol canada site http://www.xylitolcanada.com/erythritol-vs-xylitol/ they say
"Nutritional Content: Both xylitol and erythritol are safe for diabetics and low-glycemic.  Xylitol is a very low 7 on the glycemic index, and erythritol is 0.  While both contain 4g of carbs per teaspoon (or 0 grams of net carbs, if you are on the Atkins or other low-carb diet), if you’re looking for a zero-calorie sweetener, erythitrol has the edge.  Xylitol has only 10 calories per teaspoon, so it all depends on your lifestyle."

So I can eat my chocolate bliss bars and not go out of ketosis! I think I'm going to cry :'(

Let me dry your tears … you go Girl!!!!

;D

VibeRadiant

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:14:43 AM »
woohoo!  :D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
Yay!