This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Is there a wheat free pasta?  (Read 11809 times)

Joan

• View Profile
Is there a wheat free pasta?
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
I'm just getting started on the wheat belly diet.  ( Still waiting for my book to arrive ).

What do you guys do about pasta?  I normally eat pasta about 2 or 3 times a week.   I looked at the ingredient list of all the pasta I have and it all has wheat in it.  :'(

Joan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:04:13 PM by Rita »

Bing

• View Profile
Re: Is there a wheat free pasta?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
Not the same but you might want to try spaghetti squash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roNFu9S8Cwo

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
Dr. Davis mentioned shirataki pasta made from the kudzu root.  Tried it this week and we both loved it, although the small package just enough for two people. It comes in a solution and you have to rinse it.....then boil for two minutes. If you can find the flour, it's also good as a thickening agent. I found capsules.

TFGal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
I agree on the shirataki noodles, although the versions sold around here also contain soy, which I try not to eat too much of. Once you'd adorned them with sauce, you really can't tell the difference except they're not as chewy as al dente pasta. I like to use a quick Alfredo sauce, I just mix some melted butter, heavy cream, and all the grated Parmesan I can spare and throw in a little French thyme for good measure. Okay, now I'm hungry, guess I should go fix dinner.  ;)

Jean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
Thinly sliced zucchini makes great noodles! Just drain them well.

lwbarbara

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
I agree with spaghetti squash. Im not too fond of marinara or tomato sauce but add a little pesto, toss and it's tasty.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
I agree on the shirataki noodles, although the versions sold around here also contain soy, which I try not to eat too much of. Once you'd adorned them with sauce, you really can't tell the difference except they're not as chewy as al dente pasta. I like to use a quick Alfredo sauce, I just mix some melted butter, heavy cream, and all the grated Parmesan I can spare and throw in a little French thyme for good measure. Okay, now I'm hungry, guess I should go fix dinner.  ;)

I couldn't find the soy free version locally either, so I ordered from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Noodle-Shirataki-7-Ounce-Packages/dp/B004CLCEDE  .   From my understanding, you have to refrigerate the soy version, which is why I wanted to order the non-soy one.

I agree that once you cook them and put your sauce on them, it tastes fine.  But there is a fishy smell when you first take them out of the package that geeks me a little.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 02:46:42 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 04:34:14 PM »
I misspoke in my prior post regarding pasta..... Shirataki noodles are made from konjak, a root from a Chinese tree....I found capsules which are apparently used as a fiber source for people but I open them up and use as a thickening agent. 0 carbs and works as good as cornstarch!

Rita.....why do I have low karma?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
I've been trying to give everyone Karma whenever I see a post and I think about it doing it, but I can't give karma to the same person more than once an hour, as that is a limitation on the system.   

Anyone who views ( even people who read but don't post ), can give karma too.  So I urge people to give karma points.

Eventually maybe we can make up some kind of fun contest on Karma, number of posts, or something to that effect.   I'd like to make this into a really fun community board, so I'm very open to all ideas.  In fact, maybe I'll start an idea thread.   I'll do that now.

Update:

Okay ...  here's a thread to get the idea mill going :)   
http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,32.0.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 06:03:41 PM by Rita »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:42:31 PM »
I like... I always aspired to good karma.....;-)

Joan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06:04 PM »
Thanks everyone for your ideas!

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:01 AM »

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:43 PM »
Hahahhahah RITA! I gave you a little jolt in the karma dept. lol
Ya, yam noodles here. I dry fry them after I rinse them, in a non stick pan, toss them around in there for a bit then cover with Dr. D's Alfredo sauce.... almost heaven.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 07:48:53 PM »
I sooooo want to buy an extruder for my kitchen aid stand mixer. BUT I have searched high and low for a pasta dough recipe ... nada. If anyone knows of one plzzzz let me know. But for now it's yam noodles.

marinetrader

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
I love shirataki noodles but found something called the "Miracle Noodle" online.  I ordered some and will let everyone know how they are.  Very low carbs and zero calories.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »
My karma is 2. I always thought my DH was hard of hearing. Maybe I don't have anything to say.

Kezza

• Grain free since 5 April 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
Hahahhahah RITA! I gave you a little jolt in the karma dept. lol
Ya, yam noodles here. I dry fry them after I rinse them, in a non stick pan, toss them around in there for a bit then cover with Dr. D's Alfredo sauce.... almost heaven.
:D I found some of those kelp noodles in my local Aussie organic store this morning so quickly snapped up a packet to try in place of pasta.  Hope they do the trick.

Kezza

• Grain free since 5 April 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »
 :'(   My karma sucks!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Kezza....I boosted your karma  :) !

Can you get the Miracle brand noodles where you live?  They really are very good....made from konjac flour, zero carbs.....they do not need to be refrigerated unless opened.....have a fairly good shelf life.....and if you close your eyes, you think it's pasta!  They come bagged in a briny solution (which puts some people off) and have a slight odor when you open the bag, but once rinsed in cold water, and  boiled for two minutes....you're in business!

marinetrader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 03:44:32 AM »
I tried the Miracle Noodles but couldn't stand them.  They were too slimy for my liking.  Will stick with the shirataki noodles.

Wheatless in Seattle

• G&SF since Sept 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
I finally tried the Miracle Noodles (soy-free shirataki noodles) ordered from Amazon.  I ordered both fettucine and angel hair.  I made my 'pasta' dish with Italian sausage in marinara sauce.  I used the fettucine style noodles for that dish. Yumm!  Although the anticipated fishy smell was a bit off-putting, it quickly went away with rinsing.  Not a problem at all.  And I loved how quickly they cooked.  I really like them and plan to use them often.  I actually prefer them to spaghetti squash for a pasta substitute.  Plus, the packages do not need to be refrigerated before cooking as the soy shirataki noodles do that I can find locally. 

I'm looking forward to trying the angel hair style noodles with pesto soon, or with just ghee and garlic as a side dish.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »

Sponsored Links