This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Beware of the 'Slimcato'  (Read 7221 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Beware of the 'Slimcato'
« on: August 10, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
While at the grocery store, my husband grabbed a couple of avocados and I wasn't paying attention....I just got one out for brunch and found out it was a 'slimcado'....lower in fat!
http://www.brookstropicals.com/slimcado/....didn't know there was such a thing!
http://www.brookstropicals.com/slimcado/

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of the 'Slimcato'
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:54:57 AM »
This is depressing!  They are trying to ruin a perfect food (to me anyway).  I recommend another Boston Tea Party and use the slimcatos instead.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 10:01:51 AM »
You're kidding?!   I wonder if that is genetically modified or hybridized.

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:08:32 AM »
I bought a few myself. I ran into Walmart to grab some for DW. I didn't pay attention to it either. Her and my son ate them up so I guess they were fine as far as taste. Since then, I've gone back to regular avocados.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
That is awful.

I wish they would leave our food alone!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2014, 10:24:50 AM »
I've purchased the Slimcados and they taste about the same as the Haas avocados.  There is a bit more "flesh" to the fruit and sometimes the price differential is substantial in NJ.  I think they are just another variety of avocado.  The web site states that they are Non GMO and also states that there is a red variety as well.  23 grams of fat listed for 1 cup. 

If I remember correctly, Haas avocado is the hybrid.  A cup of Haas has about 27 grams of fat.  Feurte and Hall varieties are equally good.  The big difference is that the Haas are smaller and turns black when ripe.

I bet the "slimcado" name is advertising hype.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:50:34 AM »
Unfortunately, once I sliced it open, it had too many dark spots so we didn't try it. I jumped online immediately after noticing the label to see if it was GMO....site says 'no'. We normally eat Florida avocados (Fuerte or Hall varieties) and my husband thought this looked the same....the tree we planted last year was a Fuerte and I may be dead before it produces any fruit!

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 01:24:34 PM »
This is depressing!  They are trying to ruin a perfect food (to me anyway).  I recommend another Boston Tea Party and use the slimcatos instead.

YES!
Needless to say I didn't make it to the 1st one but my ancestors did!

Go patriots! Go patriots!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
There are at least 17 different varieties of avocado.  Some contain more oil than others.  Mostly they are pear shaped and size can vary enormously.
The avocado will stay on a tree and will grow until it is picked.  At that point, it will start to slowly ripen.  Chilled temperatures will slow the ripening process. 

The Haas variety is popular because of its nutty taste.  Other varieties are good too.  Many cultures used the avocado for medicinal purposes in addition to eating it or for its oil or for soaps.

mickapoo

• View Profile
Re: Beware of the 'Slimcado'
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 06:36:47 AM »
That is awful.

I wish they would leave our food alone!

Nobody is tampering with your food. At least not with the SlimCado that is not the case. I personally work for Brooks Tropicals, the company who owns the "SlimCado" trademark and after seeing this post had to step in to clarify. "SlimCado" is not "marketing hype" but yes, it is just a trademark name. The product itself is just a Florida avocado, like some of the other users have suspected. The SlimCado does have half the calories of a Hass avocado, and it's taste is lighter and not as rich and creamy.

Greentree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:42:22 AM »
Why in the world do we need a low calorie avocado??

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »
There are numerous kinds of avocados.  This is just one kind.  The advertising is silly to us, but some people would purchase them because this variety has less fat. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 01:00:28 PM »

Sponsored Links