This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: New fitness membership  (Read 1842 times)

Lila

• View Profile
New fitness membership
« on: August 23, 2014, 02:58:36 PM »
Well, I joined my first fitness club today. It is really nice--there are pools, an olympic lap pool and an outdoor pool, and although I don't swim (yet) I do plan to take advantage of the aqua classes. There was one going on when I was there this morning and it looked like tons of fun. Lots of people (who weren't svelte) with lots of smiles.

DH was with me (he actually gets a free membership as a benefit of his Medicare advantage plan) so I didn't stay to work out but I'll be there when they open tomorrow morning!  Can't wait to spend the morning there.

I get a free personal trainer session on Monday and I will probably work with maybe once per week or twice per month.

I am quite embarrassed to say that I've never in my 59 years been on a treadmill. That will change tomorrow.

I'm going to be training for a possible trip with a study abroad group to Italy in the spring. Whether I go or not will depend upon whether I can keep up the pace on the ancient (pre-ADA) stairs and hills. But regardless of whether I feel like I can go, I think this fitness club will be fun.

HungryinTN

Re: New fitness membership
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »

I'm going to be training for a possible trip with a study abroad group to Italy in the spring. Whether I go or not will depend upon whether I can keep up the pace on the ancient (pre-ADA) stairs and hills. But regardless of whether I feel like I can go, I think this fitness club will be fun.

Ha!  Yes.  My boyfriend went to Italy for three weeks earlier this summer and that was one of the main themes of his trip - climbing stairs and walking EVERYWHERE.  He went completely unprepared and survived - and if he can do it, with his eating habits and his smoking habit and general sedentary lifestyle, I'm sure you'll be taking the steps two at a time by spring!   :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:51:07 PM »
Lila,

The aqua classes are wonderful.  The water makes it easy to do the exercises and swimming with enough resistance that you do benefit and it is easy on your joints.  You will be surprisingly tired afterwards until you get used to it.  The warm water is soothing too.

A treadmill is much harder on your joints than just walking.  You haven't missed a thing as far as I'm concerned.  I found a treadmill boring.
I preferred a stationery bike, rowing machine and a weight lifting machine to provide a much more interesting routine.  You might check if they offer  some gentle yoga classes which are geared to older women. 

How exciting for you!  Keep us posted.    :)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:25 PM »
I agree on the treadmill. You're not really walking / jogging / running; it's more like hopping since you're keeping pace with the machine. And it really is hard on the joints. I'd recommend an elliptical machine instead.

I've been doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) as part of my exercise routine. Basically, sprint a distance (20-30 seconds), rest about the same amount of time, and repeat. Do this 8-12 times and that's your workout. It's less than 10 minutes, and better for you than chronic cardio.

Speaking of which, don't fall into the chronic cardio trap. I see all these people doing 45, 60 minutes or more on these machines. The calorie burn is low, and you're actually making yourself worse. (Chronic cardio is terrible for the body; not just the joints, but it lowers your immunity, results in overtraining injuries, and damages the body. Also, ask yourself why people are still fat after months of slaving away for hours on those machines. Their diet is wrong and they are doing exercises that don't help.)

VibeRadiant

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
I've started doing eccentric exercise. The work outs are short and intense and infrequent. So far so good.

This is the particular routine I follow.
[size=78%][/size]
[size=78%][/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:46:40 PM »
I tried HIIT training for the first time last weekend and my quads are still recovering!  It makes me feel like I'm really doing something without having to work hard and long for it.  Here's Dr. Mercola's discussion of it with recommendations: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/21/interval-training.aspx

I think I managed to get in six "sprints" before I was just too exhausted to go on (I am not naturally a fast-moving person, so my all-out sprints probably look more like a mildly  vigorous jog to someone else, but I promise I was going as fast as my little legs would go...).  It was definitely a surprise to my muscles!

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 01:54:29 PM »
I had to stop jogging about 10 years ago due to injuries. Whenever I try jogging, I can get a quarter mile before the pain is so great I have to stop.

However, I have no problem sprinting; it's a completely different form. And like you point out, it's a really quick workout. My stretching / warm-up takes longer than the exercise itself.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »
I'm anxious to go to the personal training session tomorrow night. I definitely need some strength & core training, along with some reasonable cardio. Today I got on a recumbent bike and rode a hilly terrain for 5 miles and then spent a bit of time on a stair stepper (but only a bit--I have no muscles). I didn't try any weights until I get some instruction.

No aqua classes on Sunday but I did get in the spa for a little while.

I'll keep you posted.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

Sponsored Links