This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Ice Cream Maker purchase?  (Read 7370 times)

Linda R

Ice Cream Maker purchase?
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:26 AM »
OK gang, would like your opinion.......................

I am considering this, probably a Cuisinart due to trust in the brand. I own their coffeemaker, immersion blender and toaster oven and really like all of them.

Do you own an ice cream maker and do you feel you use it enough to justify the expense?

Do you find yourself indulging in frozen treats too often due to the convenience and have had a problem with weight gain, etc?

Does the homemade version taste as good or better than store bought?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Ice Cream Maker purchase?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
Linda,

I have a Cuisinart 1.5 qt. ice cream maker.  Works just fine.  You can find them on sale everywhere now.  The best price I've seen is $25. 
I really like mine.  The drawback is that the bowl MUST be in freezer overnight.  I only have a regular refrigerator with a top freezer.  There is rarely room for the bin.  If you have ample freezer space, then it is well worth the money I think.

No comparison to store bought at all or even ice cream shop creations.  You can sweeten with your favorite sweetener and add whatever flavors or fruit you like.  My favorite is blueberry ice cream, made with blueberries, lemon juice, confectioners swerve, heavy cream, etc.  It is very satisfying.
There are lots of on-line recipes using coconut milk too.  You can make slush type items in it and custard (heated egg yolks) ice cream or whatever strikes your fancy. 

I seem to remember posting some of my favorite recipes on this blog (or was it WBB?).   Recipes are easy to find on line.
After the ice cream mix churns for about a half hour in the bin, you place it in your container and then freeze it a bit more.  The result is a cold treat that is delicious. I never buy ice cream any more.  I really dislike the overly sweet store bought stuff.  Sometimes I just add a little stevia or no sweetener at all if I'm using a really sweet fruit.  You just taste the mix to determine if it needs a bit of adjustment.  I often bring a container as a hostess gift.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
I have the Cuisinart also. Love it. Love it.

I leave my tub in the freezer all the time so it is ready to churn. I do have a free standing freezer--it would be a challenge otherwise.

I also do not chill my mixture before dumping it in the churn (most recipes say to refrigerate for an hour or two). Most of my ingredients are cold so I just ignore that part.

I'm not into sweet stuff so much, even sweetened, but my DH loves the ice cream I make with heavy cream and coconut milk.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »
I have the cuisinart too, my little red bucket. It paid for itself the very first time I used it when I got a gourmet type, taste and texture lchf ice cream the wasn't full of ice crystals.  It can be a little addictive to tell the truth. 

bill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Okay, the 1.5 quart cuisinart ice cream maker. Check.

Where might I get it for $25?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »
Good morning Bill,

You have to check your local stores for sales.  The kitchen stores, department stores, Targets, Bed and Bath (with coupon), even Tuesday Morning  or Ebay has them.  I stumbled upon mine at Macy's.  If I were to buy another one, I would buy the larger size so I wouldn't have to make it as often.  The ice cream you make really is delicious and it magically seems to disappear!  Some people buy an extra container so they can make 2 batches without the overnight waiting period for the container to re-freeze.  It only takes about a 1/2 hour - 40 minutes to churn.  The churning keeps ice crystals from forming while the mixture is chilling.  You can use any container and place it filled with your mixture in the freezer and then mix/stir it every half hour or so and return it to the freezer until it is the consistency you like.  This was much too much trouble for me so I bought the machine.

I think there are copycat brands which are probably fine.  I didn't find any when I bought my machine in Spring 2013, so I bought the Cuisinart.  The container is double hulled with a gell inside.  This gell gets very cold and stays cold enough to chill/freeze your ingredients.  It fits on the stand/motor which has a plastic churner to keep stirring the ingredients.  Your mixture works best if it is chilled before you churn it.  The ice cream is soft when churning is completed.  Freezing it will make the consistency harder. 

Frozen yogurt is super too!  Lots of internet recipes for that and for non-dairy confections.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »
I think I got mine from Walmart around $26 CDN. I thought it was a great deal. I just wish I could have bought a second bowl.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 05:08:00 AM »
Linda,

I DO find myself indulging too often!  A substitute is the Cabots yogurt with sweetener and spices.  Not quite the same, but creamy and sweetened to taste.  I gained weight eating this too often during this past winter so I'm careful about trying to limit myself now.  This holiday weekend I will serve the ice cream to my guests. 

VibeRadiant

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 06:30:03 AM »
oh the eggnog ice cream is the best for holidays - well any time really :)   

Linda R

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 06:44:46 AM »
Linda,

I DO find myself indulging too often!  A substitute is the Cabots yogurt with sweetener and spices.  Not quite the same, but creamy and sweetened to taste.  I gained weight eating this too often during this past winter so I'm careful about trying to limit myself now.  This holiday weekend I will serve the ice cream to my guests.

Aha! Barbara has fessed up!   ;) ;) ;)

That is one of my concerns as well.

I plan to dole out the portions and eat them over an extended period of time, at least, that is the plan.

Thanks to all the responses. :-* :-* :-*

There are lots of these appliances available at ebay, both new and used. I am bidding on one now, bidding ends next week, so we'll see, my limit is $35.00.

My favorite flavors are coffee and maple walnut, and I am finding lots of low carb recipes on the net. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:01 AM »
I bought a Cuisinart ice cream maker recently, but it's still in the box.  Ice cream was such a problem for me before WB that I'm afraid to even make the first batch!  I love all the flavors, and have tons of recipes, but so far, just looking at the box!  ::)

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
I freeze mine in 1 cup plastic containers and when we do indulge, I defrost for a bit (they get pretty hard) and share with DH.

It is weird that I don't like yogurt. Or avocados.

Linda R

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 09:18:39 AM »
I freeze mine in 1 cup plastic containers and when we do indulge, I defrost for a bit (they get pretty hard) and share with DH.

It is weird that I don't like yogurt. Or avocados.

Yup, that's my plan.
A year or so ago I found a set of 6-4 oz Tupperware dessert containers, with lids, on ebay and they are really handy for portioning desserts for future use.

I don't smoke or drink, gamble or purchase lottery tickets, I just ebay! LOL  My only vice.........................

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
OK, I feel a bit more confident, that if I keep the ice cream in my little chest freezer in the garage, perhaps it won't call out to me.  I'm on the lookout for smallish containers with lids...preferably colored so I can't see inside.  As you can tell, I'm very concerned about going off the WB wagon, so to speak.  I'm very strict when it comes to dessert type things...anything sweet tastes way too good to me.  Have always had a sugar issue, since I was very small.  Dr. Davis once tried to encourage me by saying that I'm not eating anything now that would cause a craving, so I SHOULD indulge once in awhile.  Anyone else feel like this?  Or am I just weird??   ???

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 11:17:55 AM »
Linda,

Yes, I am 'fessing up!!!!!  When it comes to nuts and ice cream, I become Miss Piggy.  That being said, I try hard to keep the portions small and
and show some restraint, after all, I am a responsible adult!!!!    8)   I guess it is a good thing that my freezer space is so limited that I can make ice cream only for special occasions and even then often have to "borrow" a neighbors freezer space as long as I promise to make them a batch! 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 11:27:05 AM »
If you are weird, so am I!  Along with potatoes, sugar is something I always fall for.  I try not to have 'sweets' around or I'll eat them all at once.  I have never, ever lost the desire to eat them but I can stop myself.  It's just like being an addict who has their problem under 'sorta' control. If you can ignore them, I wouldn't push yourself to have any unless you want and then under controlled circumstances (like not at home).  But that's just me.  Other than wanting more of them, it shouldn't hurt now and then.

Linda R

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
OK, I feel a bit more confident, that if I keep the ice cream in my little chest freezer in the garage, perhaps it won't call out to me.  I'm on the lookout for smallish containers with lids...preferably colored so I can't see inside.  As you can tell, I'm very concerned about going off the WB wagon, so to speak.  I'm very strict when it comes to dessert type things...anything sweet tastes way too good to me.  Have always had a sugar issue, since I was very small.  Dr. Davis once tried to encourage me by saying that I'm not eating anything now that would cause a craving, so I SHOULD indulge once in awhile.  Anyone else feel like this?  Or am I just weird??   ???

Like these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Six-6-Vintage-Tupperware-Pastel-Pudding-Dessert-Cups-754-with-4-Lids-/331300443668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d230b9614

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:31:43 PM »
Yes, Lynda R...I remember those!  Vintage, ha!  I'm dating myself when I say that, I know.   :)   Thanks for link!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:32 PM »
I just found this today.   Looks interesting.   Makes ice-cream in seconds.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
All fruit?  That must be really high carb!!!!! :'(

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »
But it looks like you can add other ingredients to itů so it doesn't necessarily have to be all fruit.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 09:28:14 PM »

Sponsored Links