This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: HIIT the Mercola way  (Read 1352 times)

Lila

• View Profile
HIIT the Mercola way
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »
Found this video a week or so ago and have been working up being able to do the elliptical workout. I haven't been able to manage with just the 90 second recovery time, but am working up to it. I'm so out of shape that the elliptical is no doubt helping with building muscle. The backs of my legs and butt really feels this.  DH and I are going early mornings (there by 5:45am) and I think this is going to work well for us.

It is an indeed hard 30 seconds, and my intensity is much, much lower than his.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2013/06/21/interval-training.aspx

Tonight I'm going to go to the Aqua Fit class!

Randal

• View Profile
Re: HIIT the Mercola way
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
I've been doing modified Tabatas for about 3 or 4 months now. I can't yet go with a mere 10 seconds of rest after 20 seconds of sprint; I'm probably more like 20 seconds of rest. But it's great on days where I "don't have time to exercise" or just don't feel like it, because between stretching, walking to the park, and exercising, I can be done in 10 minutes. And it's surprising how exhausted you can get from 4-5 minutes of interval sprints.

If anyone has plateau'd or wants to take things to the next level, I strongly recommend HIIT, especially if you don't like gyms or lack the confidence to exercise in front of others. You can literally do it in your backyard. And as I've mentioned before, the biggest problem I have with the WB WOE is that there's no exercise or fitness component. That's why I lean more towards Paleo.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:21:50 PM »
I wonder if Dr. D will do a book later with exercise?  That a vital component missing from his health plan. A healthy diet is great but it won't help you lift a load or walk all day all by itself. I like the idea of the shorter time frame of HIIT.  That was a good article.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
I subscribe to the twitter feeds for Cureality and exercise is advocated, unlike specific recommendations in Dr. Davis' Wheat Belly books. I will be surprised if his next installment doesn't have a specific recommendation for exercise.

I am anxious to build up to the point where I can do the entire 20 minute elliptical HIIT session the way it is supposed to be done. Most of my 20 minute workout this morning was in the "rest" mode, LOL. And I'm sure my high intensity, while high enough for me, isn't nearly as high as it should be. A work in progress....

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »
The high intensity in HIIT is relative; it's what you can manage on a given day. There are days when I am seriously dragging tail when doing my sprints!

There have also been times when I've hit the proverbial "brick wall" when I know I've depleted all the glycogen in my muscles (probably getting that wrong). Most people see that as a bad thing; I figure at that point, I'm definitely burning fat for fuel.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »

Sponsored Links