This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: How much sugar hidden in food  (Read 1385 times)

VibeRadiant

How much sugar hidden in food
« on: September 06, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »
Some of the foods blew me away.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: How much sugar hidden in food
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:27:18 AM »
Loved it!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:24:16 PM »
Good find!

In the 1970's and '80's, the sugar lobby started using the customer survey "taste tests" and added sugar to any food they could find.  Of course, sweetened food tasted wonderful to children who then pressured their parents into buying the sweetened product.  Companies sold this sweetened food to school breakfast and lunch programs by getting placed in the catalogs sent to purchasing agents, quoting the product being #1 in taste tests.  The campaign was so successful that companies started to use cheaper sweeteners like corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup to increase their profits.

Party foods like soda became the norm with all the advertising.  People bought anything and everything on taste and just figured the government wouldn't allow unhealthy foods to be sold.  It just didn't occur to anyone, especially government officials that for-profit companies would overwhelm the market with their processed highly glycemic products produced using the cheapest possible ingredients and sell to an unsuspecting public.  All of a sudden diabetes is rampant.  It hasn't dawned on our trusted officials that all that sugar in its many forms might be a major contributor.   

VibeRadiant

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
I was surprised when the fruit loops had less sugar then the healthier option. 

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »
I was surprised when the fruit loops had less sugar then the healthier option.

These days we have to put "healthier" in quotes and italics and whatnot, because there's healthy, and then there's what Big Ag and Big Pharma wants us to think is healthy (e.g., fruit smoothies, soy, "heart healthy" whole grains, etc.).

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »
Sad thing is that ever since the Nutrition Facts panels started requiring disclosure of "Sugars", it has not been "hidden".

Even with fast food counters, NF data is trivially available.

Is certainly is hidden from those who don't look, of course. Big Food and Big Diabetes are counting on people to not look. Most comply.

These videos are useful, however. They may open some eyes. I frankly didn't pay much attention to the issue until at some point in the 1970s, I got interested in making my own root beer. When I saw how much sugar the recipe called for, it completely changed my eating habits. I never did make any root beer. Still have the bottle capper around here somewhere ...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
Boundless,

Big Food and Big Diabetes!  Very clever!
I rarely drank soda because it was always too sweet tasting to me.  I would make fresh lemon/limeade and use 1/3 - 1/2 the sugar stated in the recipe.  Now I use stevia or Swerve to slightly sweeten this or iced tea.  I never understood the popularity of soda until I began to notice the advertising . like for Marlboro's .. you become sophisticated and glamorous when you partake!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »

Sponsored Links