This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: laryngopharyngeal reflux  (Read 4637 times)

Lila

• View Profile
laryngopharyngeal reflux
« on: September 10, 2014, 04:26:34 PM »
A nursing colleague today suggested that my (apparently chronic at this point) hoarseness, post-nasal drip, ear congestion and tinnitus could be a result of laryngopharyngeal reflux.

I used to have a lot of reflux prior to this WOE with painful heartburn. Since I've been wheat free I no longer have the heartburn. I've been reading some about this laryngopharyngeal reflux and it appears that it can go on without heartburn.

Does anybody have experience with this? It certainly would explain my symptoms in the absence of a cold and lack of relief from using allergy meds (Allegra & Nasonex).

« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:52:31 PM by Rita »

Lila

• View Profile
Re: laryngopharyngeal reflux
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Perhaps my slo-niacin (which I have been taking at night) is the culprit.

http://www.umassmed.edu/healthyheart/patientinfo/Niacin/  It seems niacin can aggravate reflux.

I'm going to switch to morning and see if that helps. I did take my slo-niacin this morning and right now I'm all red, itchy, and hot from the tips of my ears to my ankles. Darn flushing.

Usually doesn't last long.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Niacin flushing is terrible! I remember the first couple times I got it, not knowing the culprit. That was scary. But yeah, it usually goes away in 30-45 minutes, and now I know it's actually good for you. But at the same time, I'll avoid it if I can.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:38:14 PM »
Is this niacin same as a supplement??   I tried it back in the day to try to lower my cholesterol but instead it increased my blood-sugars.  Had to quit.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 07:56:43 PM »
It almost sounds like an allergy.

I just did a niacin flush the other day ( on purpose ) to see if I could flush out toxins.  I then took chlorella and activated charcoal to bind to the toxins.   The flush makes you feel hot and itchy for about 30 minutes.

I got a case of shingles the same week, which I'm still dealing with.   I can't help but wonder if the increase in circulating toxins caused my immune system to go down.   I was also sunburned, which may have caused it as well.  And, my husband is going in for chest surgery next week, so I may have a little more stress going on than usual.  It's probably a combo of all of that.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:56:40 AM »
It feels like a respiratory allergy, Rita, but it is not responding to usual allergy meds. I feel as if my head is in a bucket. Can't hear well at all.

As recommended by Dr. D, I take Slo-Niacin. It usually doesn't cause a flush, but even though I take it every day, every once in awhile it does make me itch, turn red, and feel like I'm burring up inside. I think it depends on what I've eaten and how much I've hydrated.

I did read that reflux is a potential side effect. I've stopped taking it at night.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:28:07 PM »
Rita, let us know how your DH does with his surgery.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 05:01:01 PM »
Thanks Deanna.   Will do. :)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »
I have trouble swallowing sometimes, and definitely get that reflux, but only after drinking wine and sometimes other alcohol.  It's scary and great motivator to not drink.  It's harder to give up than grains ;(

Rita - also sending best wishes for your husband's surgery!

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
If diet and allergy meds don't help I'm going to suggest something that sounds like it's out in left field...get a sleep test. It may be sleep apnea. What happens is that if you have obstructive sleep apnea (you do NOT have to be overweight or even snore!) when the airway closes off you struggle to breathe, and the effort creates a vacuum effect in your airway which pulls stomach acids up into the airway. This can irritate the lining of your esophagus and airway (causing swelling which in turn causes more apnea!).

If you are not a sedentary overweight male who snores your doctor may brush off your request for a sleep test, but don't give up. The ONLY way to rule out sleep apnea is with a test. There is NO other reliable method. There are home tests available if you can find one covered by your insurer.

I know this sounds daunting but it's worth getting checked out because the long term effects of untreated apnea are devastating.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 03:16:28 PM »
Interesting theory and possibly could be an issue with me. I do snore, but less so after WB.

I don't know what exactly has helped, but my ear issue is much better (not completely gone). Some tinnitus still and pitch is not correct (but better than it was). I'm still taking allegra and using Nasonex. A Nexium every day. And a homeopathic remedy suggested by one of my good friends on this forum (Clear Sinus & Ear and Clear Tinnitus).

So lots of treatment. Something has made it better, unless it would have just gotten better on its own eventually.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »
Glad you're feeling better, Lila!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 08:13:34 AM »
Lila, on another subject...not for your current problem.

Last year I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia. I contacted a chiropractor friend and asked some questions because I knew that some chiropractors adjust these. I told him my meds, one of them being Nexium. Part of his response was, "I adjust them all the time... I would try to get off Nexium as it completely shuts down your stomach and your food rots and produces gas." I stopped it that very day. I had taken it for years.

Anyway, might be worth researching.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 09:04:14 AM »
Lila,

Stomach issues are known to cause the sinus swelling, tinnitus and vertigo problems.  I found a product called "ReFlux-Away' which is homeopathic and also contains betaine hcl, mastic gum, dgl licorice root, ginger root, pepsin, silica and more.  At first, I took most of these items individually to soothe the area, but now I can just use this combination pill.  I also have taken digestive enzymes to help digest proteins.  Manuka honey helps as well, but it does have lots of carbs.  Aloe juice or pills are also soothing.  Apple cider vinegar in water is also soothing.

Deanna is quite right about that Nexium.  Way too harsh!  You begin the cycle of stopping/over production of stomach acid and poor digestion.  If you have that MFTHR mutation, it is recommended that you use famotidine instead.  This is often in a store brand like CVS or Walgreens.  Most times the problem is caused by not enough stomach acid being produced.  It is a complicated issue.  Nora Gedgaudas has an excellent discussion of digestion issues in her book Primal Body - Primal Mind. 

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »
I believe you or Jan suggested the Clear Tinnitus and/or the Clear Sinus & Ear homeopathics.

I wish I knew for sure what is going on. I suspect I'll need to go to an ENT if this doesn't clear up completely. It is 'way better but not completely well. If it is caused by a silent reflux, it probably won't go away completely until the reflux stops completely.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »

Sponsored Links