This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: When eating lchf makes you gain weight  (Read 8085 times)

VibeRadiant

When eating lchf makes you gain weight
« on: September 11, 2014, 05:49:44 PM »
I was watching a video that Jimmy Moore gave and I was surprised that after losing the initial weight, he gained back 15 lbs a year for a few years despite eating exactly the same way that made him lose in the first place, until he read a book on nutritional ketosis.
I always thought that Jimmy was the poster boy for the Atkins weight loss program and when I read that people were calling him out for his weight gain, I just assumed it was because they were those anti fat eat like a vegan nazi-esque people out there.

Anyway, here's the video and the book is called The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance by Phinney and Volek.

Maybe I'll discover something about why I haven't lost weight in lchf either.

Redhead65

• View Profile
Re: When eating lchf makes you gain weight
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:40:11 PM »
Sorry - what is Ichf?? I tried to google it, but since "I" in German means "Ich", my google thinks that I have not typed it correctly. I even added the word "weight", and it did not help.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 04:11:26 AM »
sorry, that's LCHF low carb high fat.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
I'm not gaining weight but even with 45 - 50 minutes of exercise each day I am not losing (although in the last 3 weeks my body fat % is down by 2%). I'm also not losing girth anymore.

On the elliptical this morning at the gym I saw (but didn't listen to) an infomercial about the 21 day fix. Another diet/exercise fad but the thing I found interesting was that a fundamental part of the plan was a set of containers with which you measure your food. There was a big one for vegetables, smaller one for fruit,another size for carbs,  smaller one for protein, etc. Clearly portion size is a big part of this plan.

I wonder if Dr. Davis should be a stronger advocate for portion size. I think the assumption is that if one is not hungry, one will not eat. Not necessarily true, and certainly not true in my case. While I don't binge anymore and hardly ever eat between meals, I believe my portion sizes are too big. Sometimes I am really hungry and that leads me to put more on my plate, and I almost always eat everything on my plate (sorry, I was just raised not to waste food).

So my next step will be to start measuring, I think. Very much a pain to do so, but I'm wondering if this will help.

Reluctantly I have started taking some meds that I am afraid will make me swell (and swelling == weight gain). But I have to try to get this ear thing under control.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 08:32:44 AM »
Interesting video, but it disturbs me that even on an Atkins diet and exercising, Jimmy Moore was gaining weight. (And this guy makes a living off his weight loss success.) I wonder if he is an extreme case in that he needs to be in nutritional ketosis to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.

I also wonder how much of his exercise involved strength training. I'm inclined to believe most people overdo it on the cardio side, which leads to worse results in the long term. I always see people get on stairmasters or ellipticals or treadmills for 45 or 60 minutes or more, and I wonder if they wonder why they are still big. (Not that I'm so much better; I've got a stubborn 10-15 pounds around my waist I can't get rid of.)

But Jimmy was clearly getting too much protein. He was eating as much as I do, and I struggle to eat that much protein in a day since I shoot for 30-40 grams per meal. If you're going to eat a lot of protein, you need strength training. You need strength training if you want to maintain your muscle mass to begin with; otherwise, you'll naturally get softer and flabbier with age. And it doesn't have to be bench presses and squats at the gym. It can be simple body weight resistance exercises or strength training through sports.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 09:15:40 AM »
Lila,

This is what I am liking about the IF plan I am doing right. With 20-30 minutes between courses,  I find that I can best judge my actual hunger before the next course.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 09:18:46 AM »
Randal,

Perhaps he is very carb sensitve, as I think I might be, thus needing to be very low carb to lose weight.
He seems to have found the key as he has lost the weight again.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
I think this makes sense...at least for me.  Too much protein equals no weight loss.  After only 2-3 days of higher fat, lower protein, I can tell I've lost weight.  No cravings, no headaches or bad physical feelings...but I definitely notice when I'm hungry now.  Not so much for the past year and a half.  Was just eating too much.  Calories still count somewhere along the line, I think.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 10:22:57 AM »
Tom Naughton ended up addressing a bit about the Jimmy Moore situation in the comments on his recent book review:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2014/09/08/review-keto-clarity/

Jimmy is quite likely a relatively unique metabolic case, and what he's doing about might only be useful for a small number of people in the same situation.

What situation is that? Perhaps it might called "unfortunate genetics aggravated by severely damaged metabolism, requiring special fine-tuning".

Jane "Woo" Plain might be another, although not identical, case. She is pioneering all kinds of things, and blogging it all.

Once the major adverse components of modern diet are swept away, we are likely to learn that we are, in fact, all different, and that further gains are going to be specific to individual situations.

(Of course, when we usually hear "we're all different", it's usually from some afflicted soul who is really saying "it's nice that your WB/paleo/primal/LCHF/keto/PDH/SCD/Atkins diet works for you, but we're all different, so please get out of my face so I can continue stuffing it with Twizzlers".)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:50 AM »

Jimmy is quite likely a relatively unique metabolic case, and what he's doing about might only be useful for a small number of people in the same situation.

What situation is that? Perhaps it might called "unfortunate genetics aggravated by severely damaged metabolism, requiring special fine-tuning".

That's what I was thinking after watching the first few minutes. Jimmy Moore used to drink sixteen cans of soda a day, in addition to a Double Gulp or some other 7-11 monstrosity. He got to over 400 pounds before doing something about it, and then got to 300 pounds a second time before discovering NK.

I'm not diminishing his work; but consuming that much sugar, soda, and other nutritionally bereft calories to the point of severe morbid obesity is likely to produce devastating internal damage that might not ever be overcome. I hope he does, but it is an extreme case.

I would love to try NK, but I consume far too much protein for that to be an option.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
Remember too that fat holds toxins, and if you can't get rid of the toxins, you won't get rid of fat.  http://drhyman.com/blog/2012/02/20/how-toxins-make-you-fat-4-steps-to-get-rid-of-toxic-weight/

And for people who have the MTHFR gene mutation (such as myself), it's difficult for the body to detox.

Chris Kresser just posted a good article on this today:

http://chriskresser.com/methylation-what-is-it-and-why-should-you-care

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
Rita,

Both articles are well worth reading.  Thank you for the post.

VibeRadiant

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
I'm more than halfway through the book The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance and what an interesting read. Like I figured, I haven't been eating enough fat. I thought I was, but obviously not.
I remember the three week fast I did back in July where I consumed BPCoffee, I was losing inches (4 inches in three weeks), and as soon as I started eating the three meals (less fat, higher carb) those inches came back with a vengeance.
I'm going to be tweaking what I eat while still doing the IF that I am currently on in my n=1 experiment journal.
Great book. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »
I just might have to read that book, thanks, Vibe.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 01:05:26 PM »

Sponsored Links