This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: ch-ch-ch chia  (Read 1665 times)

Lila

• View Profile
ch-ch-ch chia
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:33 AM »
Have any of you baked with chia seeds? I substituted chia for the flaxseed in my zucchini bread last night. I'm a bit disappointed. I didn't like the consistency at all. Felt a lot like poppy seeds, only more of them.

Maybe I should have ground the seeds?

Part of it may be that I'm having a hard time getting past the growing chia figures...

Linda R

Re: ch-ch-ch chia
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:02 AM »
Love Chia seeds.

Chia Breakfast Custard

2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 egg yolk   [more custardy w/ 2 yolks]
liquid stevia extract or  EZSweetz -  5 drops
1 pinch salt

This recipe turns on one simple act of preparation: The evening before, put two tablespoons of chia seeds in a small bowl and stir in the water. Stick 'em in the fridge, and go to bed.
Okay, it's morning. Grab a cup of coffee or tea, and pull your chia seeds out of the fridge. Stir them up with a fork, to break up clumps.
Pour your cream into a glass measuring cup. Now add the egg yolk -- throw the white into the dog's breakfast. Life's too short to spend worrying about creative things to do with the leftover egg white. Use your fork to stir the cream and the egg yolk together quite well. Stir in the liquid stevia extract and the salt -- I used 10 drops each of French Vanilla (NOW brand) and English Toffee (Sweet Leaf brand).
Now pour the cream-and-yolk mixture into your chia seeds, and stir the whole thing up with your fork, again, breaking up any clumps. Makes sure you stir all the way down to the bottom -- it helps to use a glass custard cup you can see through, so that you can spot any clumps of unincorporated chia seed.
Put your chia custard in the microwave and give it 4-5 minutes on power 5, stirring every minute or so.

This recipe came from here......................
http://holdthetoast.com/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:49 AM »
Lila,

There are a lot of "baking with chia seeds" sites on the web for more information about using chia as a thickener and binder.  Worth the time to read them.
I have made the chocolate zucchini bread recipe listed by Linda R.  This is delicious!  Type in "chocolate zucchini" on the search menu above and you should find it.  Don't forget to taste the batter for sweetness levels.

I think this was a recipe from Low Carb Friends.  I remember adding a few TBS of hemp seeds for extra nutrition.  I toasted it and added a slice of cream cheese on some for a change of pace.  Nice mid afternoon treat! 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:04 AM »
I've been throwing some chia seeds into just about anything I bake lately, they do taste like poppy seeds, and get stuck in your teeth sometimes, but I really do love them.  You have to increase the liquid in the recipe, if you add them in, about a cup of water for 1/4 cup of seeds.

I have been baking these rolls almost every morning, my Mom just loves them, will post the recipe.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:59:13 AM »

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:50 PM »
Does any of you using chia have a low blood pressure? Mine is low, and I have read that (apart from many good things!) chia seeds tend to lower the blood pressure.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
Lila, I've made bread several times with "ground" chia seeds (Gourmet Girl's bread recipes) -- I like them!  But I like the texture of bread that has as bite to it (got used to the German bread when I lived there many years ago).  I even added a smidgeon of walnut pieces and cinnamon once to make it a sweet version. I've made it at least 3 times and all batches have turned out great.  I used a slightly bigger bread pan the second and third times, however, since it rose a LOT and almost spilled over the little pan I have.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »

Sponsored Links