This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Miracle Beets  (Read 3713 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Miracle Beets
« on: September 14, 2014, 10:19:55 AM »
http://www.healthyfoodteam.com/benefits-of-beets-miracle-cure-against-many-diseases/

I used to eat lots of beets, and drink beet juice, mixed with an organic vegetable juice and my iodine drops added. Haven't done that in the last year, but after I am done with my fat fast, I intend to get back to doing it.  Gave me lots of energy and a feeling of well being.

Anyone eat beets for health?  Lowering blood pressure seems to be the side effect most look for.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Miracle Beets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:49 AM »
Thanks for posting. Think I'll get some beets today and ferment them.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:34 AM »
I try to get used to beets. So far I occasionally eat them raw and grated.
But I would be careful with the idone drops - especially as long as you still have a thyroid.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 12:46:24 PM »
As a child, the 'elders' always claimed beets were nutritional powerhouses.  Too bad we didn't eat more of them.  I think I need to look up some recipes to bake/roast them fresh, as I always liked them.  Strange how something so common and touted as healthy falls out of fashion.  Maybe it was all those canned beets they made us eat?

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
I am afraid you are right and it is this canned mentality.
Some kids do not even know today how things look like before they are processed. Once I saw on TV some kids who where asked where the chicken broth comes from. They said "from the cube".
In Germany the most common form is to buy it as frozen item with apple slices and a lot of sugar added.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
At the organic store they told me that the leaves of the beets can be stirr-fried as a vegetable.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 03:06:54 PM »
I've never actually had them but my grandmothers all talked about eating beet greens. Guess my mother didn't like them as we never had them.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 03:20:34 PM »
You wash the leaves like you would spinach or kale and remove the red center vein.  Then steam or saute' as you would fresh spinach.  I usually chop up onions, garlic &/or mushrooms etc, saute' in olive oil or butter then add the greens and stir a bit until wilted.  Nice fresh, sweet taste.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
As a young child, we ate beet greens all the time, usually with butter or vinegar on top.  I haven't eaten beets for a long time, though.  Maybe it's time to reintroduce them.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 09:17:17 AM »
I agree, it's time to revisit the beet!  Thanks, Barb, for mentioning it.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 12:02:23 PM »
Thanks for posting. Think I'll get some beets today and ferment them.

lol-  my first thought was to ferment them too.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 05:44:48 PM »
I bought some at Costco, they are precooked and come in a plastic pouch.  Probably not the same as cooking my own organic beets, which I intend to do, but really delicious marinated with some chopped onion and vinegar and olive oil.  Lovely!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »
I try to get used to beets. So far I occasionally eat them raw and grated.
But I would be careful with the idone drops - especially as long as you still have a thyroid.

I meant to reply regarding the iodine drops.  Iodine is one of the missing links in our nutrition and health these days.  I don't have time to go into specifics, but if you google Dr. Brownstein and check out his blog, and perhaps Stephanie Buist, and Iodine, you will see what I'm talking about.  Iodine protects women in particular from breast cancer and other detrimental illness.  We are all lacking in this mineral, it's not supplied sufficiently these days, and the toxins that build up around our thyroid, block  the uptake that is essential.

I am not really good at explaining this, but take a look if you like, here is a link to her website.  http://www.naturalthyroidchoices.com/About.html

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
I know that about the iodine but there are also thyroid conditions where iodine is detrimental.
Hashimoto and other thyroid autoimmune deficiencies for example. Also ex thyroid cancer patients should not take extra iodine, because otherwise that makes the cancer treatment difficult. In Germany patients where the cancer is not many many years ago are not even administered contrast fluid at the radiologist. Contrast fluid contains iodine.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »
Well, I am sure anyone with these autoimmune symptoms would have to be more careful and have a doctor monitor any intake of iodine, I agree.  But for the average US citizen, we don't get any iodine anymore, even the so called iodized salt is a poor and inefficient way to supplement.  Most of us need to detox from the bromide that has been added to everything, esp. baked goods, over the past decades, and it's not a simple process. 

Read the links if you're interested, Stephanie had thyroid cancer, and describes in detail what she went through, and how messed up she was at a very young age.  Then she found Dr. Brownstein and in the meantime, is feeling much better, thanks to iodine.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
Oh, wanted to mention that I made my Chili with Pumpkin and diced cooked beets and it is delicious.  I love adding veggies to this type of dish, and also to stir fries.  Getting some extra nutrients in never hurts!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »

Sponsored Links