This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Artificial sweeteners  (Read 12297 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Artificial sweeteners
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:40:45 PM »
A new study indicating artificial sweeteners may have an impact on our gut biome.....as well as BG. For those that know me on this site, I've consistently been an advocate of lessoning your need for sugar substitutes as a foundation of this WOE.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSL6N0RH43720140917?irpc=932

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
Re: Artificial sweeteners
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:26:35 AM »
If anyone comes across a link to the full text of the report, it would be interesting to check it for the usual confounders. Mice. No word on the rest of the diet (esp. gut biome support content). etc.

Based just on what's in the Reuters article, none of the sweeteners used are currently WB-approved (although sucralose used to be).

So if there's some fire under the smoke, this may be an indictment specifically of aspartame, sucralose and saccharin.

Nothing would surprise me about aspartame.

Sucralose may have been deleted as WB-approved due to being suspect specifically as a gut biome antagonist.

Saccharin I have no opinion on.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 10:44:24 AM »
Here's a link to the full report but unfortunately it's 'pay per view'.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature13793.html

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »
Thanks for posting that Jan.   

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
I need to avoid all artificial sweeteners.  For me they just feed the need for sugar which I do better without.  I gave up chewing sugarless gum all the time.  Was not easy!

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
That affliction called candida eats artificial sweetners too. Not stevia though.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
This artificial sweetener study has gone viral on both social and mainstream media....yesterday on Fox Financial News (Varney & Co.) which my husband watches, they even did a short feature which I thought was abit negative. This was posted in the NYT......http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=104243&preview=true

I think the study will motivate additional research.....

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:14 AM »
That's interesting Jan

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
Attia has no use for it either:
"The mouse data are useless.  ..."

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 04:27:19 AM »
Yes, but it does raise some interesting questions......especially regarding the possible implications of hazardess changes to our gut biome. It doesn't look like this area of exploration is on NuSI's future agenda.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »
Jan,

At least the article said that they will be testing other artificial sweeteners, and they include stevia on that list.  I thought stevia was a natural sweetener.
It sure will be interesting since many of us here use stevia and other supposedly safe sweeteners.  If they actually impair glucose tolerance then there probably are lots of health related issues….just when I thought I had it figured out about how "to have my cake and eat it too!"

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »

Jan in Key West

• View Profile

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »
> MDA posted the full PDF on the sweetener study today......

Saw that. Read the paper. Tend to agree with Mark. Had some comments on Diet Doctor, concluding with not sure what it all implies for the WB list.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 05:36:41 AM »
Really interesting study.  Here's the version from The Economist:  http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21613311-sugar-substitutes-may-mess-gut-bacteriacausing-obesity

(My dad who is almost 80, read the above in his magazine, and made a copy for me… )

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
Good video on aspartame

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
Hi Rita,

Excellent video.  Aspartame aways gave me a headache, so I never really used it and was careful not to buy products with this as a sweetener.  Thanks for posting this.  While the information is not new, it is a good reminder of how these products get into our food supply. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
I've been trying to decide on a toothpaste that is fluoride and xylitol free...very hard!  But I found the "Jason" brand that has a very strong peppermint taste and is not sweetened with xylitol.  Xylitol causes sores in my mouth, so I avoid it, even sugar free gum that has it in.  And I am always afraid my cats will lick out the sink where I've spit the residue from brushing my teeth, before I can rise the sink!!  They like sweet stuff, and I know this is fatal for dogs, but can't be good for cats either.  I even threw my bag of xylitol sweetener out.  I've narrowed my sweetener selection to mostly stevia.  Even thinking about growing some stevia from seed this summer.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
When I was at the herbalist guild symposium, they talked about how stevia is a good source of chromium, which is of course good for diabetics.   I hear stevia is pretty easy to grow.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 09:07:03 AM »
Rita,

Did your symposium provide suggestions for processing the stevia?  I really like using dried, powdered white stevia in my coffee or tea.  No fillers.  But how would I do that?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 09:08:47 AM »
They didn't mention anything.

However, I did find this:
http://commonsensehome.com/stevia-grow-your-own-sweetener/

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Rita,

Excellent instructions.  Thank you.  Now all I need to find out is if deer like these plants!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 09:02:59 PM »
Do you have a lot of deer where you live Barbara?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:12 AM »
Rita,

Our area is just over run with deer.  They have eaten the underbrush, food supplies for birds and other small animals and just adore most leaves/plants/shrubs/vines/flowers which you would use around your home.  They further damage trees by the males brushing their antlers against the bark, tearing it which allows insects and bacteria to further damage the tree.  By eating the underbrush, the soil doesn't hold much water and the trees suffer from any weather extremes which would not have been as devastating if the soil were left natural.  In a hilly area like mine, it has been devastating to the plants which were selected to shore up the ground and stop weeds which the deer love!

Because they have abundant food, they are prolific.  Without meaning to get into the NIMBY issue of culling the herds, their abundance has encouraged coyotes to overspread our area which places your pets and small children at risk, not to mention the road accidents or even them being impaled on fencing.  Also, the deer will suffer from a wasting disease and become emaciated when their food supplies are not abundant or varied enough. 

I've had to call our local Animal Control people several times to haul away dead deer who probably were hit by cars and managed to hide under my rhododendron bushes to die.  Even after the body was removed, I spread lime over the area to dissipate the smell. Yuck. 

To answer your question: yes, there are an abundance of deer!

Michael Beechey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »
Jan,

At least the article said that they will be testing other artificial sweeteners, and they include stevia on that list.  I thought stevia was a natural sweetener.
It sure will be interesting since many of us here use stevia and other supposedly safe sweeteners.  If they actually impair glucose tolerance then there probably are lots of health related issues….just when I thought I had it figured out about how "to have my cake and eat it too!"

I was reading something about stevia...quoting the usual corrupt practices we seem addicted to in capitalism....the stevia at the cheapest supermarket is adulturated/diluted and a long ride from the original leaf. .Is there another plant that is sweet but doesn't have the aftertaste of stevia?

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 07:46:44 AM »

Sponsored Links