This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Drops for Canning Fruits and Vegetables  (Read 2105 times)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Drops for Canning Fruits and Vegetables
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »
I've been looking for drops like we used in Germany for canning things in glass jars.  You have the jar, the lid and the rubber seal, you put the hot fruit or veggies in the jar, with the liquid, put the seal in place, have the lid on the counter inside up, put some drops on the lid, light with a match, put on jar, and the fire burns all the oxygen out of the jar and seals it tight.

I have never seen that here in the US< but I'm not really into canning.  My daughter wants to start canning her own organic things and asked me about them.  I'm sure Redhead would know where to find them in Germany, they aren't expensive, and so convenient.  I've never head anything unhealthy or detrimental about them, but who knows.

Interestingly, I have a new neighbor, and met her yesterday.  Her brother lives in Germany for 32 years and she is going over in a few weeks to visit, and donate a kidney!  Not kidding, this was all conveyed within a few minutes, and we were both stunned that from asking innocently, where I'm from, I told her Germany, she said my brother lives there with his wife, and I'm going, where did you live, near Munich, oh - he's near Augsburg, little town called Bobingen, and I laughed and said I'm from this other little town really close by!  Small world, then she shared that he needs a kidney transplant and she is going to give him one.  I was humbled, and just said something like, you are such a blessing in his life and we parted, because daughter was waiting in the car for me with little one.

All this to say, can I get the drops here, and if not, do you think it's a big imposition to ask her to bring me some I have Euros to give her, and I know they are available everywhere, esp. this time of year.

need you help here, people!!   8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
Re: Drops for Canning Fruits and Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:35 AM »
This is what they look like, I've been googling and looking on Amazon etc.  but don't think they have those here in the US.  Wonder why so easy and efficient!

http://www.apotheke-online-internet.de/suche/keywords/EKA%20Einmach%20Tropfen%20Beipackzettel

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:59:40 PM »
 :o :o :o My eyes nearly popped out of my head. I did not even know that these existed. My mother and my grandmother used to preserve and can a lot of stuff, and nothing ever went bad. I tried to find out what they consist of, and it says that they should not be given to pregnant or breastfeeding women, so I am sure they are not totally harmless. Are you sure you want them?

When I get back to Germany, I could ask my pharmacist. But the postage is not cheap.

I usually cook the jars in hot water for 10 min. and then put a sip of alcohol into the lid of the glass.  I do not can since I do not have a garden, but a friend of mine cans a lot. I would ask her for links.
When you have these drops, you probably cannot give the food to your grandson.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
Yeah, my Aunt was one of the few people I know who used the drops.  As mentioned, they burn up the oxygen in the glass, and create that vacuum that conserves the food.  She used it mainly on fruit compote, and they kept for years!

I can't find anything on what they are composed of.  I did see the warning about pregnant and nursing mothers, but not sure if that's because they don't know, or if there is actually something in there, that isn't kosher. ;)

All I could find is this.  If you happen upon something more informative, or if your friend happens to know what they are made of (I always thought it was just alcohol) then please let me know.  I am going to invite my new neighbor for a cup of coffee and see if she would mind packing some in her suitcase.  At least they don't weight anything.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/nachrufe/hans-joachim-kuehne-geb-1918/1554382.html

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »
So your neighbor is coming to Germany?

If it says that something should not be administered to pregnant woman and children, then the reason must be related to the content.  That is the rule here. The manufacturer must know what is in that stuff, and he has to follow the rules as to what has to be listed expressly. It has to do with the liability laws.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:00 AM »
Yes, she is going to Germany to give a kidney to her brother, it's taking them forever to determine when and how but he will have the transplant in Munich, and already had a heart transplant years ago, which is making this kidney transplant necessary.  Amazing things they can do

I know you're right about the warnings, just that sometimes they are a bit out of sync, at least here in the US.  Warnings against things that are truly benign, or even essential for health.  But I've decided to hold off and get a large canning pot for her instead.  :D

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:10:16 PM »
Wow, what a wonderful neigbor and what a great thing she is doing. They have top hospitals in Munich. So they will both be in good hands.

I am glad to hear that you hold off on the drops. And I know that our health authorities and yours do not always say the same, but it cannot hurt to be careful. You can give canned food to your grandson without having to worry. And - besides that - since I know so many people who are canning and nobody ever mentioned that stuff, I do not think it is life-essential. ;-) I am sure you know how I mean it.

When she is able to walk again and before she returns, she should visit this place:
http://www.dallmayr.de/
She will never forget that experience. And don't worry - English is spoken there.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 02:49:40 PM »
Well, the neighbor is gone, she was waiting for a letter telling her to come, and my Mom saw UPS deliver an overnight letter two days ago, and that day she was gone!

I didn't bother her with my trivial drops, if I ever do want to use them, I can have a friend mail them to me.

Dallmayr is a coffee lovers heaven. ;)

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 01:22:12 PM »
Did you look at the website, or do you know this brand from the States?
It is not only coffee lovers' paradise. They also have excellent sweets, first class fruits, fresh fish and top of the line smoked Salami, ham and all that. You can spend a fortune there. Not to mention their excellend beverage department. Some bottles go for a 3-digit-figure.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »
Today I asked my pharmacyst about the drops. She said she could order them (assuming that I was the one needing them) but she said they are not necessary. They used to be used when jam glasses were closed with  cellophane instead of with a proper lid. Thru the cellophane bacteria could enter more easily. The drops contain alohol. She said she puts some whiskey or run onto the screwable lids and then closes the jam glass and turns it upside down. Like this: scroll down
http://pagewizz.com/konfiture-marmelade-und-gelee-29592/
This is how I have done it with jam but also with other things like sweet and sour cucumbers.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 12:10:22 PM »

Sponsored Links