This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: DH's surgery  (Read 4480 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
DH's surgery
« on: September 26, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »
Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you all for your well wishes.   DH is home from the hospital and recovering.   He had a 6-hour surgery on Monday to remove a mass from his lung.   He had what is called a "loculated pleural effusion", which was caused by either trauma or pneumonia.  He had both.  About a year ago, he got an elbow in the chest playing basketball, which took a very long time to heal.  Several months later, he had pneumonia.  It could be that the pneumonia was caused by the trauma.

The fluid that was there became encapsulated by tissue. The surrounding tissue was about as thick as an orange peel.  This loculation took up 1/3 of his left lung.   When they went in to remove it, they found another layer, and this layer had grown roots, attaching the lung to the diaphragm.   So they had to not only remove the mass, but pick away at that other layer to free it from the diaphragm.   Weird stuff eh?

My theory is that this was caused by all this heart medication that my husband is on.   He's been on Plavix for 10 years (which makes your blood vessels like teflon) as well as a very high dose of statins.   His cholesterol is at 120, which I think is crazy low.   (As much as I'd like to get him off of all that stuff, it's ultimately his decision).    I just don't think the body had the systems in place to heal from the injury, and that this was the defense mechanism that his body came up with to deal with the injury/fluid.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: DH's surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:57:50 AM »
I am so very glad to hear your DH is doing well.  It's times like this that I appreciate conventional medicine, who really have become geniuses with  a scalpel and recouperative therapy. I'm wishing him a quick recovery.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:49 AM »
It sounds very complicated. I'm glad he's recovering well. Thoughts and prayers...

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 07:05:48 AM »
Speedy recovery......he's in good hands!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 07:49:28 AM »
Rita,

Wishing for a full and rapid recovery!

Pretty amazing how the body tries to cope with all the unnatural things we give it.  I had a molar that had 6 roots which supposedly developed from trauma.   I was in a car accident and the airbag hit the side of my face and while hiking, I fell and bruised my jaw.  Two roots are normal.  That root canal was not fun.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »
Rita,

glad all went well, and also wish you could get him off the statins and other meds.  That cholesterol reading is not a good sign, but I'm sure you know that.  Does he eat wheat free with you?  That in itself would be very beneficial. 

Good luck going forward!

Barb

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 03:10:49 PM »
Wow. Sounds incredibly complex. I hope he continues to do well. No doubt he will breathe much better!

Take care of yourself too, Rita!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
Rita, maybe your husband would read this?  It's pretty convincing and devastating at the same time

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/statin-scam-people-with-higher-cholesterol-live-longer-than-people-with-low-cholesterol/

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 01:00:56 PM »
I wish your husband a speedy recovery. When I had lung surgery last year, I could not go near a freezer (in the supermarket) for weeks. I felt like cold wind was blowing into my lungs. I just wanted to mention that in case your husband feels the same when he goes out again after the surgery.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 04:45:57 PM »
Thanks everyone.  He is at least reducing statins.  Going from 80mg to 20mg.  He's mostly wheat free, but when he's not around me, he splurges. 

Good to know about the freezer section RedHead.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 05:18:23 AM »
That's wonderful news, Rita.  At least he has seriously cut back on wheat, that has to help a lot.

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »
Hope your DH is continuing to heal quickly!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 06:55:07 AM »
He is doing much better.  Still very sore.   They take out the stitches today.  (The resident doctor taped right over a section of his stitches, so we're a little worried about them removing the tape first, as that tape is really stuck on those stitches.  Warm showers haven't even loosened up that tape.)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »
Best wishes on your DH's continuing recovery, Rita.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:53 AM »

Sponsored Links