This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Just opened my first can of coconut milk  (Read 3554 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Just opened my first can of coconut milk
« on: May 14, 2013, 11:45:18 AM »
I'm a little slow on the coconut bandwagon, because I'm not a huge fan of the taste of coconut.  I've been using the coconut oil when I talk myself into it.  In an effort to get more fat in and in an effort to see if I have a milk intolerence, I decided to give up dairy this week.

Thus...   my first can of coconut milk.

Interestingly, 1 can of coconut milk is 14 grams of fat per serving, and there are 5 servings!  Which is a serious amount of fat for the whole can!  Yeah!   ( It feels so weird to be choosing fat ).

Anyhow, I did not shake that can and just opened it.   The cream and the water were separated with cream being in the top 2/3 part of the can, and the water being in the lower 1/3 of the can.  ( Now I understand the concept of coconut water ).

I decided to just grab the cream for now, and put all of it in a bowl with some cut strawberries.

It's surprisingly tasteful.  It's naturally sweet but doesn't taste coconutty to me.

I'm going to save the water.  I'm guessing there is no fat in that, but I'm sure it has health benefits as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:55:18 AM by Rita »

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: Just opened my first can of coconut milk
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »
Thanks for this interesting tidbit on coconut milk.  I have two cans I haven't opened yet.  Having the cream portion over fruit really appeals to me!  I've tried taking a tablespoon of gently-melted coconut oil with my breakfast and it goes down easily!  No coconut taste that I can detect.  But if I have it drizzled over scrambled eggs...OMG, my stomach hurts so bad!  But tummy is OK with it plain...how do you explain that?  :)

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
Since I watch my carbs closely I was surprised to see the carb count in coconut water. I don't like the taste of coconut but I have joined in fat experiment. Does anyone know why there are no carbs in the oil but in the water?

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:56 PM »
"Does anyone know why there are no carbs in the oil but in the water? "

Because the oil is just fat.... just like butterfat is pure fat with no carbs; the carbs in (cow's) milk are in the watery portion.  Fat is lighter than water and separates naturally from the milk - this is what you see if the milk is not homogenized.

Coconut oil is a pure fat and I think coconut cream (found in the cans, separated from the water) is nearly all fat (it's hard to get any firm data on this).  To add to the confusion, many companies that sell coconut products also sell different versions of coconut cream, or creamed coconut, or coconut cream concentrate.  And none of these are the same as cream of coconut (which is sweetened and is the base for pina coladas!)

The cream that separates in the can of coconut milk makes a great dessert - I like it plain with sliced berries with or without a coconut pudding.  It's also very good whipped up with a tsp of almond or vanilla extract which one of Mel Joulwan's desserts in 'Well Fed' uses.  I imagine it would also be a very good parfait type of dessert with layers of cream, berries, toasted nuts and/or grainless granola.  Yum.....

Some people like coconut cream in their hot coffee or tea, but I haven't tried that yet.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:11:52 PM »
My coconut milk doesn't separate in the frig. Maybe because its cheap? So far I've bought it for $1 per can at Big Lots.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
Thanks HS4! I'll read that a couple more times so it sticks. 😊

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:44:12 PM »
My coconut milk doesn't separate in the frig. Maybe because its cheap? So far I've bought it for $1 per can at Big Lots.

I found that only the full fat version separates.  I've also purchased just 2 brands, the Native Forest and Thai Kitchen , and the Thai Kitchen separated nicely for me while the Native Forest didn't.

But in reading the Amazon reviews for Thai Kitchen, they said that the product was purchased by a new company a year ago, and the recipe has changed and is now more watered down.  So I don't know if I had an older can, or if the new company got enough complaints to go back to the original recipe.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:46:04 PM by Rita »

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »
Rita - I use primarily Thai Kitchen coconut milk (and only the full fat regular or organic varieties) and have been totally satisfied with it.  I like its taste (very mild) and beautifully smooth texture.  I really hope the recipe isn't changed!  I also use Trader Joe's coconut cream (a new product here) - it's had some variability in texture but tastes good.   I'm finding, in general, that the differences between coconut cream and coconut milk are often just semantics - they're the same thing for several brands.

Deanna -  you said your coconut milk didn't separate?  Maybe it was a light variety with very little fat (as Rita mentioned).  At room temperatures, or higher, the coconut cream will separate from the liquid portion (because at temperatures lower than about 75F, coconut oil becomes solid which will solidify the cream (of which it's the major part)).  If the coconut cream hasn't separated from the liquid before it goes into the fridge, it definitely won't separate once it's cold! 

I find it's really fascinating to watch coconut oil solidify a little, then re-liquefy, back and forth between solid and liquid, especially at this time of year when temperatures swing from very warm back to unseasonably cold on a daily basis.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
You know, I hadn't considered that mine may not be full fat BECAUSE IT DOESN'T SAY...so I assumed it was. The first I bought was from a health food store, I don't remember where, and I bought both full fat and light...about $3+ a can. One of them did separate and I didn't know what to do with it...I thought something was wrong w/ it...this was early on when I didn't have a lot of info. Then I found the $1 a can at Big Lots so I've been buying it when I find it. The brand is Duchess. Right now I'm only using it in my coffee. Who knew??

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
The full fat is something like 14 grams per serving, and there are 5 servings in a can.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
Mine is 6 grams total fat & and 6 servings per can.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
So you don't have the full fat version then.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
Thanks for the info Rita!!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »

Sponsored Links