This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Sausages  (Read 1733 times)

Vicki Chaput West

• View Profile
Sausages
« on: October 02, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
I keep seeing recipes adding sausages or bulk sausage to recipes, but are these grain free? And if so where can you get them? I,m confused

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
Vicki,

Applegate Farms sells reasonably good sausage.  Shaller and Weber sells German style sausages and liverwurst using pastured, anti-biotic free pigs.  Your local butcher might have homemade sausages or be able to get them.  Certainly, Whole Foods and similar stores have a variety of brands.  If you have a meat grinder, then sausages are very easy to make.  There are lots of recipes on the internet for spicing.  The chicken sausages are pretty good if you don't want to eat pork.  Casings are optional.

Vicki Chaput West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Thanks Barbara, forgot to mention i,m UK based

enthuz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »
I can't remember who, but I thought I ran across a cattle farm in the UK that sold uncured summer beef sausages. It wasn't cheap, but that was comparing pricing in Southeast US (where I live). As far as making your own, yes it does look very simple. I ordered a Kitchenaid stand mixer, which I plan on using to make my own sausages (preferably without casings). I have already started stocking up on spices mentioned in multiple beef, chicken and turkey recipes online. There are also many how to videos online to walk you through it. Whatever you choose, watchout for salt and other additives that may have adverse affects on your WBD plans.
Wheat Free & Loving It!

Vicki Chaput West

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 07:41:26 AM »
Thanks

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »
I've been buying liverwurst recently, but can't find any anywhere that doesn't have nitrates in it.  I may try the two suggestions above.  Not up to making my own.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:46 AM »
Can't even remember the last time I bought liverwurst!  Can't remember the last time I saw it, either.  DH used to like it as a snack on crackers.  I do remember the last time I ate those!  It was almost exactly three years ago this month.  Whoo Hoo!! DH and I really need to add some organ meat to our diet, I'm positive we could use the nutrients.  I'm assuming we could get the liverwurst, etc, at Whole Foods or a butcher, as many have mentioned. I should look for some at WF and get him some seed crackers.  There's really no excuse for me...

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
The important thing to remember about liverwurst seems to be making sure the product is made from healthy, pastured pork.  Also, make sure there aren't any mysterious fillers or wheat.  Since the liver is a filtering organ, you want to make sure that the livers used aren't laden with chemicals and antibiotics and come from pigs that have been raised in a humane, stress free manner rather than in a commercial bin and fed GMO products enhanced with anything Big Ag thinks will provide more profit.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
In looking up the Apple*** brand, I found it's sold at our local Co-op.  I've checked in there before, but didn't see it.  Could be it's sold out before I get there.  But I will definitely check the ingredients.  Thanks!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
I emailed Shaller and Webber inquiring about their liverwurst.  They said that the liver comes from pastured pigs and that is why the taste is so mild. This is sold in local supermarkets.   A local Whole Foods started selling a brand from a NJ farm.  Great ingredients!  I didn't like the taste or the consistency (mouthfeel) so I never bought it again. 

Boundless has mentioned many times that it is not the nitrates that are so bad for you, but rather the added sugars, MSG and assorted other chemicals.
The fact that a pastured, happy, naturally and humanely raised animal provides much better nutrition and fewer, if any additives, than the factory farmed products and is certainly worth any extra cost of the product. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »

Sponsored Links