This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Read all labels!  (Read 7243 times)

Randal

• View Profile
Read all labels!
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
Just had some unsalted dry roasted peanuts I bought at the grocery store, and realized too late that they contained wheat. Why would peanuts need wheat? Ridiculous.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
Re: Read all labels!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:05:17 PM »
Good point! Just for an exercise, my DH and I checked a bunch of labels for canned soup at the grocery store recently. ALL had wheat, even the so-called healthy soups in the organic foods section. Why add wheat to soup?

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »
You know that these "food" manufacturers have to know that wheat is an appetite stimulant.  I'm sure they'd deny it and give some other scientific reason that things like peanuts and soup NEED to contain wheat, but I'd venture to say that they are liars.  They know it just as well as we do and have decided to take advantage of this super cost effective way to pander their product to the unwitting masses.  It makes me a bit angry...can you tell?
~Teresa

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
You know that these "food" manufacturers have to know that wheat is an appetite stimulant.  I'm sure they'd deny it and give some other scientific reason that things like peanuts and soup NEED to contain wheat, but I'd venture to say that they are liars.  They know it just as well as we do and have decided to take advantage of this super cost effective way to pander their product to the unwitting masses.  It makes me a bit angry...can you tell?
Teresa, I've made the same comments to my husband, who is completely on board with WB, but sometimes he looks as me as though I should be wearing a tinfoil hat. But honestly, I have a hard time believing that the food execs don't know that wheat, sugar, and trans fats are highly addictive and harmful. Bottom line? They don't give a rat's patootie about the obesity rate--it's all about profit.

Yeah, I'm angry too.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:52 AM »
I don't want to sound like a tinfoil hatter either, but it does make me wonder if there's a conspiracy between the food industry and the drug companies. Common sense would say that it's more expensive to add unnecessary ingredients, unless they are being used to fill volume, increase appetite, or create need for other products (like weight loss products, diabetes drugs, etc.).

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 04:22:00 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with all of you. And personally, I like how I look in my little tinfoil hat  :P

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
Nearly ALL food manufacturers employ food scientists (aka: chemists) whether on a contract or a full time basis.  Their job is to make the product look, taste and smell good using as many of the food flavors possible for the cheapest possible cost.  When they can't improve the recipe anymore, the company hires advertisers to promote the product in any way they can think up.  There are plenty of companies who make sales calls to shop their additive products to the manufacturers as well.  This is all big business.  I doubt anyone cares about the long term health consequences.  They care about the bottom line.  High Fructose Corn Syrup is cheaper than sugar?  Use it!  Causes diabetes?  Prove it!  Claim that my product poisoned you?  Sue me, but you better be sure that you have solid scientific proof of this!  I'll countersue.  Etc.

This is not a new phenomenom.   The only way we can protect ourselves and loved ones is not to purchase the product.  Nothing like hitting the bottom line to get a company to make a healthier product or stop making it. 

Hellman's mayo is made with soybean oil.  Your canned tuna in water has a soybean broth in it.  Can you prove that soybean oil is unhealthy?  That you suffered irreparable harm from these two products?   I was astonished when I actually read the labels of foods I have eaten my entire life. 

No conspiracy.  Maybe payoffs to our bureaucracy to condone and endorse these products.  Perhaps it is just that our government hires people from the bottom tier of their colleges because the pay scale is bad and these people are bamboozled by the professional lobbyist.  Who knows?  Doesn't matter anyway.  Now that you and yours are feeling better, walk with your pocketbook.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:51:55 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 11:11:04 AM »
The food manufacturers know exactly what they are doing.  They have fired many scientists who have spoken up. If you have ever sat in on a corporate commitee, this won't surprise you.  Besides, it's also legal.  If you read the FDA rules, you will find that only effects that happen soon are illegal. Poisoning your body twenty years down the road is perfectly permisable.  I have read the FDA guidelines and they made me ill just to think about them.  There is no protection for you if you add an ingredient to your lifestyle, you are on your own.  Arlin, keep wearing that little tin-foil hat, it's a real fashion statement that says you have good sense. ;D

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »
And of course you've got the dairy industry, that is trying to sweeten up milk and working on getting approval where they don't have to mention on the label that the milk contains aspartame.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/05/aspartame_in_milk_why_the_dairy_industry_wants_to_sneak_artificial_sweeteners.html

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 01:01:33 PM »
I have been reading a book titled "100,000,000 Guinea Pigs  Dangers in Everyday Foods, Drugs and Cosmetics".  Arthur Kallet and FJ Schlink are the authors.  Originally published in 1933, I am reading the 34th printing, December 1939. Grosset and Dunlap, Publishers.  Even scarier than todays problems because the products were much more poisonous and it didn't take twenty years or so to be horribly harmed.

Among the many horror stories is how in 1900, lead arsenic was sprayed on fruits and vegetables.  Arsenic was used in beer and wine manufacture or just not cleaned off the ingredients which were sprayed to protect them from the destructive coddling moth and other insects.  Even then, the FDA was far more concerned about the economic interests of the growers than the health of the public.  2,3,4,5 x the approved amount of residue of lead and arsenic was found in fruits and vegetables.  This continued until WWII. Remember Upton Sinclair's book about the meat packing industry "The Jungle"?  The outrage was so strong that Congress actually changed the laws. 

Just think, the U.S. is recognized as having the "safest" food and water supply in the world! 
With technological advances our producers are that much more sophisticated in prolonging shelf life and their profits.  Even more lawyers and lobbyists are available to cleverly present their view of why chemicals are needed and labeling is not needed.  As a society, we are better at this profitable subterfuge  than people were in 1900. 

All of us MUST take responsibility in this area.  We MUST walk with our pocketbooks.  We MUST let our Doctors know that a palliative prescription isn't good enough anymore.  We must at least email our food providers and let them know we do care about what we  put in our mouths and we won't blindly accept their products anymore.  If we don't take this responsibility now, who will?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:53:55 AM by Barbara from New Jersey »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
I keep thinking to myself, I should just get a couple of goats and a few chickens for the backyard, and do both indoor/outdoor  hydroponic gardening.   

Here's a restaurant in NYC that does hydroponic gardening on the roof for their vegetables:

lyra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 04:17:04 AM »
I just read the first one hundred or so pages of Michael Pollen's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I could not bear to read any more! The corn/agriculture/government/beef industry complex was very upsetting to read about. Keep away from all that franken-food! Those grain fed cows are just being stuffed with all the corn flooding the market, as well as anti-biotics and growth hormones, as well as being mishandled, to put it mildly. And high fructose corn syrup? We are being fed the same slop those cows are to keep the economy running!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:17:44 PM by lyra »

Linda R

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43:14 AM »
I just read the first one hundred or so pages of Michael Pollen's book, The Omnivore's Dilemna, and I could not bear to read any more! The corn/agriculture/government/beef industry complex was very upsetting to read about. Keep away from all that franken-food! Those grain fed cows are just being stuffed with all the corn flooding the market, as well as anti-biotics and growth hormones, as well as being mishandled, to put it mildly. And high fructose corn syrup? We are being fed the same slop those cows are to keep the economy running!

Speaking of economy.
Here is an enlightening article on the BIG BUSINESS OF CANCER TREATMENT in this country. Talk about depressing!
Money!  Money!  Money!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/03/natural-cancer-treatment.aspx

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 12:03:48 PM »
Speaking of economy.Here is an enlightening article on the BIG BUSINESS OF CANCER TREATMENT in this country. Talk about depressing!Money!  Money!  Money!http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/03/natural-cancer-treatment.aspx

Good article.   It would be interesting to see that documentary Mercola mentions.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 09:05:27 AM »
I hear ya Lyra.....just finished Lierre Keith's, "The Vegetarian Myth" which details not only the insanity of agriculture's assault against our dietary health, but against our environment as well. It's both unnerving and frightening.....the politics of food! I remember once hearing that there are probably five families that rule the world......could turn out to be Big-Agri and their industries. Very Scary!

HungryinTN

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »
I hear ya Lyra.....just finished Lierre Keith's, "The Vegetarian Myth" which details not only the insanity of agriculture's assault against our dietary health, but against our environment as well.

Part of what has been a source of confusion for me on this journey - and I believe the reason my mother has been such a tough nut to crack - is that all of my life I've been taught that it is the MEAT industry that is so bad for the environment.  Ultimately I guess the big problem is the combination of the way that industrial/commercial meat is farmed and fed and the mass consumption of wheat/corn/soy based ingredients that are massively subsidized by the federal government.  So eliminating the grains for my health and for the environment now makes total sense to me, as well as finding ethically sourced animal products (still just dairy, fish, and eggs at this point) which satisfies both the bleeding heart and the health nut inside of me. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
I agree....rather than wheat/soy/corn crops (which provide cheap and inappropriate diets for both humans and animals), sustainable and humanely raised beef, chickens, pork, lamb, rabbits, etc. eat the grass, insects, snakes etc. and convert them into a highly digestible and nutritious food sources for us.....and in the process, heal the land rather than annihilate it. Problem is, the world is past the point of population control and it's questionable whether we can change this path of destruction we're traveling.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »

Sponsored Links