This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: How to cook salmon?  (Read 5850 times)

Randal

• View Profile
How to cook salmon?
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »
I want to add salmon to my cooking recipes since it's a fatty protein source full of vitamins, micronutrients, and omega 3 fatty acids (in a readily bio-available source). I've been eating salmon for years, but mostly in a fresh or lox form. I've seen some recipes online, and it seems simple to prepare. But before I try it on my own, I'd like to see what everyone here has to recommend for preparation methods.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: How to cook salmon?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:35:57 AM »
Randal....I've found salmon fun and easy to play around with.....steaks can be baked or grilled, with butter, lemon and/or spices or top it off with bleu cheese etc. One of our favorites is to lightly poach a salmon steak, flake the meat, add some chopped green onions, chopped peppers, egg, coconut flour, spices of your choosing and fry the patties in ghee.....while those are cooking, throw together some hollindaise sauce and serve with grilled asparagus. Bon Appetit.....

Linda R

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 06:58:25 AM »
My favorite way to cook salmon.
I hated the way most restaurants overcook it and it is dry and tasteless. I found this method and have used it ever since.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/maindishes/r/ovenbakedsalmon.htm

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
I like to prepare salmon on the oven bag - alternatively in the frying pan. But in the oven bag it is the least messy.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »
Basic salmon cooking rules:

1. wash and pat dry the filet or steaks
2. Seal fish with oil or your home made mayo, add salt and pepper or any spices
3. Place fish in foil lined flat pan for cooking in oven
4. Bake 25-30 minutes or until it flakes in slow 250* oven or
    Bake  10 minutes per inch of fish in 450* oven or
    Broil on H for 10 minutes per inch or
    Grill on oiled, hot grill for 10- 15 minutes per inch.  You can place fish in a pan if you like.

Some people will sear the fish in a fry pan flesh side down on the stove and then place fry pan in a hot oven (425*) for 8 -10 minutes.

Linda R

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58:20 PM »
Excellent!

Quick, concise and easy to keep on hand for future use!

Thanks

Copy, paste, stash in recipe folder................................ :) :) :)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:57:50 PM »
Timely......went to our local fish source yesterday and he had zero salmon. He won't carry farmed for obvious reasons....and now he won't carry Pacific salmon because of the higher than usual readings for radioactive isotopes for the residuals due to the continued nuclear spill. Oh vay! Salmons out for us for awhile!

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 11:24:52 AM »
Very concise, Barbara.  Oh no, Jan, salmon is the fish we eat the most.  Darn it!

HRDVM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
I like to cook salmon in a foil-lined and covered pan at 400 degrees about 8-10 minutes per side (til flaky). I always remove the skin first. I cook the fish in a mix of about a tablespoon each of melted coconut oil and butter (grass fed, of course) and add lemon juice, about a teaspoon of salt and pepper, and a dash of onion powder, and 1 drop of lemon essential oil. I also like to slice a lemon to put under and on top of the fish in the pan.  The lemon juice, oil, and slices give it really good flavor, and the "jus" made during cooking by the coconut oil and butter is delicious.

Stretick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:28:52 PM »
I have two favorite salmon recipes. I prefer filets to steaks as there are no bones.

The first is simplest. I either poach the filet in a pan on the stove in a shallow layer of water and towards the end of the cooking time I squeeze a fresh lemon over it and add fresh dill or parsley. Sometimes I use butter and/or light olive oil instead of poaching for richer flavour. Sea salt and fresh ground pepper add plenty of flavour. Use a lid on your pan to help steam fish and prevent spatter.

My other one uses a marinade that some may object to. It is 1T sesame oil, 1T tamari (gluten free soy sauce), juice of 1/2 to 1 fresh lemon, 1T grated ginger, ground pepper to taste, 1t to 1T honey (to help glaze), chopped fresh chives or spring onion. Mix we'll and pour over filet. Baste as it cooks. Can pan fry, poach or BBQ this one. If I BBQ, I place salmon on a sheet of aluminum foil with edges turned up to keep the marinade from dripping.

Alternatively made a sauce from cooked berries (blackberries and/or blueberries work best). Pour over salmon after poaching or pan frying.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2014, 07:50:18 PM »
Because of my job change and relocation, I finally got around to cooking salmon. Barbara (NJ), I followed your instructions. I can't believe how simple it is to create such a delicious and nutritious meal.

(I had some kale and broccoli with it. Forgot to put capers on it, and also didn't have lemons for seasoning. Next time.)

Now I've got another great DIY bachelor meal. Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 02:48:23 AM »
Randal,

You are very welcome!

Don't forget that you can now expand your horizons even further by using any wild caught fish in season, not just salmon.    8)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Nice recipe for salmon, Randal.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »
That looks good (and simple). I usually steam kale and Brussel sprouts as the side dish when I bake salmon.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 02:50:03 PM »
Sounds good, I don't know why kale wouldn't work with this recipe.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »
While farmed fish may not be high on any of our shopping lists, the following Scottish farmed salmon might be worth checking into.....

http://scottishsalmon.co.uk/cogp/

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 02:51:26 PM »

Sponsored Links