This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Never hungry  (Read 6295 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Never hungry
« on: May 14, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Is anyone else experiencing never being hungry?  After waking, I usually do a short meditation......then coffee.....then 2 tabs. coconut oil.....then yoga and walking......then I could go all day without eating which I'm not thinking is a good thing. But maybe again, we've been conditioned to think we need to eat 3 times per day and maybe we need to be more in-tune with what our bodies are telling us....and not eat as many times. My children are grown so I can eat when I want.....and that's becoming less and less. Do you think our paleo relatives only ate once a day?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Never hungry
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 07:13:10 PM »
I'm curious if this is new for you ever since you increased your fat intake.

I'm not hungry either.   And especially so now that I've increased the fat.

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
I'm having the same experience Jan. Six or seven hours can go by before I realize I haven't eaten! I guess that's a good thing. Sometimes the only way I remember that it's been a long time since I've eaten is when I get a little shaky and my blood sugar is down around 70. Then I eat because I think I need to more than because I'm suddenly hungry.

I wouldn't be surprised if earlier mankind got only one substantial meal a day. I just know we can live on a lot less than we've been "programmed" to believe. And of course, it's not just that we've been conditioned to believe we need "three squares" a day, but the foods we were eating were making it necessary because of the hunger they induced.

I, too, can eat whenever I want. And I want less! Oh joy!!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:35 PM »
I don't know.....this is such new territory for us....since returning to Indiana, I've been seriously only eating one meal per day....not intentionally, just the way the food fell during the day....who knew?

Bing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 01:20:35 AM »
If I drink coffee first thing, it takes a while before I get hungry as well.

If I add extra fat to what I'm eating it will also take longer before I get hungry, I try to eat and add fat according to physical activities that day, no default.

Also I eat when hungry, not when the clock says it's time to, could be from 3 to 5 or 6 smaller portions a day.

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:52 AM »
As a local comedian once quipped, "I never forget to eat. I often forget that I HAVE eaten."

Last week I started cutting calories (old habits die hard) and ramping up my strength training program. Have not been good about adding extra fat either. The result? I've been really hungry and cranky and haven't been sleeping well. This morning I was starving, so had a three-egg omelet with peppers, onions, spinach, and a big ole hunk of coconut oil. Hopefully, this will sustain me throughout the day. Oh, how I envy those of you who aren't feeling hungry!

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
I have added a lot of fat to my daily diet.  However, at first it took me forever to get hungry.  But, now that my body is getting used to the fat I am beginning to get hungry more often.  Or, it could be that I have just been exercising a lot more.  I just jogged a 5K this morning after I had two cups of hot tea with heavy cream, coconut oil and then three egss cooked in coconut oil.  That was about 7:30.  I finished jogging around 10:00.  I am just now beginning to feel my stomach doing something.  I think by lunch time I will be hungry.  The more I exercise the more often I feel hungry.  Sometimes I feel like it's a vicious cycle.  But, my doctor says exercise is a very important part of our healthy life.

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
I have added a lot of fat to my daily diet.  However, at first it took me forever to get hungry.  But, now that my body is getting used to the fat I am beginning to get hungry more often.  Or, it could be that I have just been exercising a lot more.  I just jogged a 5K this morning after I had two cups of hot tea with heavy cream, coconut oil and then three egss cooked in coconut oil.  That was about 7:30.  I finished jogging around 10:00.  I am just now beginning to feel my stomach doing something.  I think by lunch time I will be hungry.  The more I exercise the more often I feel hungry.  Sometimes I feel like it's a vicious cycle.  But, my doctor says exercise is a very important part of our healthy life.
I'm with you on that one, Janet. I tend to lose weight when I don't exercise, but I get so cranky when I don't. And it is an important part of overall wellness. I think the hunger is a signal that your metabolism is revved up! And that's got to be a good thing, right? 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 10:19:48 AM »
And coconut supposedly speeds up metabolism

Janet389

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 11:37:08 AM »
Rita,

Oh my gosh!  I have never heard that about coconut!  That makes my day since coconut oil and milk are what I use the most.

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 11:47:43 AM »
And to think I fought the no grain way of life for years! I'm never hungry. This is so great. I have been preoccupied with food forever. Stuff that isn't even considered food in my new life. Every day around noon I eat quiche with hwc, cheese, onions and spinach, with a piece of bacon. My chef (DH) puts cheese in the bottom of the pan and bakes till it melts. A 9 x 12 pan feeds us for several days. Then at night I have romaine lettuce and spinach with avocado, tomato, olives, and shrimp. Olive oil and balsamic for dressing. And thanks to y'all I'm going to add VCO to my day. Is this a great way to live or what!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 05:41:18 PM »
So lots of us are experiencing this.....it's gotta be the added fat! So let's just go with it and see where it takes us.  I ordered a glucose/ketone meter to test myself but forgot to get the test strips....the ketone strips are expensive so I need to be careful when I use them!

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:46:55 AM »
I am not as hungry as before going wheat free but I enrolled in a healthy eating program before reading Wheat Belly and it advocates eating low carb/low fat and eating every 3-4 hrs. I lost 10 lbs in the first two months but stalled in the last month. I have not experienced a lot of the health benefits that others have except my chronic sinusitis has all but disappeared( great for allergy season!!). I still experience muscle discomfort in my shoulders, leg cramps, etc. The only medication I take is Crestor...could that be the culprit?...any thoughts? I am tapering this medication and plan to discontinue prior to my next blood work and Dr's visit.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »
I noticed right away when I started WB that I wasn't hungry very often.   When I do get hungry, though, I'm REALLY hungry, with the growling tummy, light headedness... But I find especially on weekends, I may eat only two meals each day with the second meal being something light like cheese and nuts and a cup of coffee w/cream...trying to listen to my body more...no growling tummy, no eating!  Sometimes I still find myself standing in front of the refrigerator door wondering if something new has appeared....obviously other issues going on here that have nothing to do with food. 

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »
I am not as hungry as before going wheat free but I enrolled in a healthy eating program before reading Wheat Belly and it advocates eating low carb/low fat and eating every 3-4 hrs. I lost 10 lbs in the first two months but stalled in the last month. I have not experienced a lot of the health benefits that others have except my chronic sinusitis has all but disappeared( great for allergy season!!). I still experience muscle discomfort in my shoulders, leg cramps, etc. The only medication I take is Crestor...could that be the culprit?...any thoughts? I am tapering this medication and plan to discontinue prior to my next blood work and Dr's visit.
Mistyblue, right after getting on the WB program, I took a 12-week nutrition program that advocates low carb, moderate fat, and eating every 3-4 hours. I didn't eat as often as the program advocated, lost a few pounds, but then came to a complete stall with weight loss. And I'm still confused about the conflicting messages: Davis says no one should be eating that often, but the nutrition program says that yo-yo dieters (that's me!) need to jump-start their metabolism by eating frequently. I've also had problems with leg cramps and found that supplementing with magnesium malate or glycinate helps. Not familiar with Crestor--is that a statin drug?

Mistyblue

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Yes, Joan,it is a statin. I've been on it about
three years and really don't want to be.
I finally decided that I will stop it and see
how my cholesterol level looks in a month or so.
Maybe I will also feel better?

HS4

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »
I also find that when I manage to eat enough fat (and keep the carbs very low) that I rarely get hungry - can go most of a day before needing to eat again.  However, for me, this is still a constant struggle since I seem to be one of the very few people on this planet (!) that has trouble digesting coconut oil.  So I don't eat much of it - maybe a tablespoon/day but only used with food - even though I am fully aware of how benefical it is, and its ability to rev up the metabolism, and so on.  At the same time I also suspect that I may need to avoid dairy so if that is the case it's very hard to consume enough fat!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 04:41:31 PM »

Sponsored Links