This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: A couple of keepers  (Read 4386 times)

Lila

• View Profile
A couple of keepers
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Gourmet Girl Cooks posted a spicy pumpkin donut recipe a week or so ago. Yesterday I made 6 donuts (the size of my pan) and made the rest into a loaf. Wonderful!!! I used a cream cheese frosting instead of the chocolate. This morning I made some "french toast" with a couple of slices and put some of the Nature's Hollow xylitol sweetened maple flavored syrup on it. Delicious!!

http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/2014/09/chocolate-glazed-spiced-pumpkin-donuts.html

And last week I found a coconut cheesecake with macadamia nut crust. Made it today. Oh my...amazing, even though I'm not wild about cheesecake.
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2014/07/low-carb-coconut-cheesecake-with-macadamia-nut-crust.html

Cheesecake is a lot of trouble, but it was beautiful. I put 3/4 of it in the freezer so we'll see how it comes out.

Not in to sweets so much, but it was a nice treat today.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of keepers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »
That cheesecake looks wonderful!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
Wow, that cheesecake looks wonderful. I am crazy about cheesecake and about coconuts.
Next time I have guests, I want to consider that recipe.

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
OMG I wish I had the money for the ingredients right now!  That cheesecake would be perfect for my parents' birthday celebration this weekend!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:25:39 PM »
Lila,

This seems like a very good recipe!  The macadamia nuts are the expensive part.  Do you think subbing crushed almonds or hazelnuts might be ok?
I have many kinds of nuts on hand, but not macadamia.  I'd like to use the nuts I have, but will get the macadamia if they really do make the difference.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
Good point. I am also interested in the options to substitute. Macademia nuts are expensive here as well.

stacynva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Have any of you tried this Swerve sweetener? Is it any good?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »
Stacynva,

Swerve is  a very good sweetener for baked goods.  It comes in 2 forms: regular and confectioners.  The confectioners is excellent for whipped cream, icings, ice cream and many other uses which do not have much heating or liquids to dissolve it.  I don't detect an aftertaste and it measures like sugar so substitutions in your favorite recipes are simple.  Their web site is informative and contains many good recipes. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »
I agree that Swerve is very good.  I add it to rhubarb and a smidge to strawberries and blueberries when I make sauces.  And I've now started measuring these sauces when I eat them...can overdo easily.  Have also tried the sweetener, Lankanto White Sweetener, which someone recommended here awhile back, but I think it has an aftertaste.  Not bad, but I can tell.  Too many years of sugar ingestion, I guess.  But the Lankanto is good in baked goods where you can't particularly taste the aftertaste...

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
Note to those that try this recipe:

Read among the comments that a cookie sheet should be used when baking this. The cheesecake pans (any brand) leak out enough oil in some cases & can cause a fire. It didn't say whether to put the pan on the cookie sheet, or on a rack below it. I assume that one would put it on the cookie sheet itself, & to use one with a very low rim around the sides.

If I make this, I probably will substitute the macadamia nuts as well. Pecans sound good, but around here, they are also very pricey.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:47 PM »
When I make the cheesecake, I always put the spring pan on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Indeed the oil does leak out most of the time (batter does not).

I bought raw macadamia nuts on nuts.com. They are wonderfully fresh with no rancid odor. They are expensive though; I bought 2 lb on sale and keep them in the freezer.

DH really loves the macadamia nuts in the crust, but probably most any other nut would do (and the outcome would have a different, although not a bad, flavor). I'm not wild about hazelnuts so I wouldn't use it. Pecans or Almonds would work for me.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
Hi Lila,

Thanks for the recommendation to use other nuts in the crust.  With the holidays coming up, this is a wonderful dessert to have on hand.  I had forgotten about this recipe! 

My tastes have changed so much!  I don't miss sweet things and seem to prefer the savory foods.  Even the delicious breads and bun recipes posted on this blog are being made fewer times.   

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
@lila
I like macademia nuts, too. Only recently I ate them for the first time. Here they are probably even more expensive. I pay 5 USD for a tiny packet and only get tiny packets in the organic store. If I wanted two pounds, I would have to order them online and pay around 35 USD
Recently I bought organic macademia oil in a tiny bottle. It is very tasty.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »

Sponsored Links