This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Any vegetarians or quasi vegetarians here?  (Read 3953 times)

Redhead65

• View Profile
Any vegetarians or quasi vegetarians here?
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
Hi, before I came here, I ate meat maybe once in a month. On many days I do not mind eating meat or fish, but sometimes I feel that it is inevitable almost every day (unless you want to eat eggs daily), and when I then see some living and happy animals......or like yesterday, when they showed cute baby pigs on TV......I feel guilty, and I think "look, this only has to die because you want to eat meat all the time........are you proud of yourself?", and then I feel bad.
Can anybody follow me on that? Has anybody been in the same boat or is still there?

Loanne

• View Profile
Re: Any vegetarians or quasi vegetarians here?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
I feel the same way, and feel I'm almost forced to eat meat.  I suspect some day will come soon when that will all change, but for now, I don't know what else to eat.  I try to put chicken, fish, and eggs in there, too, but my main desire has always been to be vegetarian.  I hate to see animals suffer, and I know that even grass-fed, the best cared for, of anything we eat, suffers. So... that's my two cents worth today!  :-\

HungryinTN

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 04:48:50 PM »
I was a life-long vegetarian until last year when my health got so bad I had to do something drastic.  While I never had a moral problem with meat as a category, or felt it was inherently wrong to eat animals, I was totally weirded out by the modern western system of raising animals (in generally horrible conditions, for the most part) specifically to be slaughtered and eaten.  I made uneasy peace with taking up meat-eating by researching my meat sources thoroughly to make sure that any animal I consume was allowed to live its life in the happiest possible situation and killed in a humane manor.  As I got more accustomed to eating meat, I became more lax about it, eating meat in restaurants when at first I wouldn't.  But I'm trying to get back to a stricter meat policy.  I believe animals can feel pain, and love, and that they deserve our respect and appreciation.  But our bodies are definitely adapted to consume animal meat and fat, and at least a small quantity of meat is necessary to achieve optimum health.  I try not to eat more than a 3-4 oz. portion size at one sitting, and rarely eat more than 1-2 times daily, anyway. 
Our whole food system is rather unnatural, with most of us being so far removed from our food sources, that questions of morality become difficult to address.  But the health care system, at least in America, is under enormous pressure due to the miserable eating habits of the masses.  As a person of meager means and bare-bones (as mandated by law) insurance, I feel morally obligated to my fellow humans to do everything in my power to avoid becoming a proverbial drag on the system, and I believe that is a moral imperative which takes precedence over my uneasiness about meat, and that in the long run doing my part to live on a small scale, with a minimal impact on the environment, does both animals and humans far more good than my vegetarian lifestyle ever did anybody. 

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

Our whole food system is rather unnatural, with most of us being so far removed from our food sources, that questions of morality become difficult to address.  But the health care system, at least in America, is under enormous pressure due to the miserable eating habits of the masses.  As a person of meager means and bare-bones (as mandated by law) insurance, I feel morally obligated to my fellow humans to do everything in my power to avoid becoming a proverbial drag on the system, and I believe that is a moral imperative which takes precedence over my uneasiness about meat, and that in the long run doing my part to live on a small scale, with a minimal impact on the environment, does both animals and humans far more good than my vegetarian lifestyle ever did anybody.

You constantly impress me Hungry!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 04:22:58 AM »
Sorry, I should have responded. The other day when I read your understanding responses I was too tired to type and later I could not figure out how to find my postings. ;-)

I am glad that there are some people here who understand me. For me it is like this that when a pig or cow lived happily, this does not make it easier for me because the animal died because I had to eat. But I noticed that I have less pity on fish, so I am eating plenty of fish now.
Yesterday I bought a wonderful salmon trout. A lot of trout comes from the Black Forrest. This means short transportation ways and best quality.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 06:32:05 AM »
How is consuming fish any different than consuming any other live animal?  Plants are alive and we kill them to eat.  Trees are alive and we cut them down for wood to build our homes, heat and to make many, many other products.  Why is this any different from eating a chicken?  The sap or "blood" of trees is consumed as sweeteners, industrial products, and various consumer and medical products. 

Seems to me that prudent use of all living things for our needs is what is important.  Not polluting is as important as taking care of our resources whether they are fish, chickens, plants or trees.  Since I avoid packaged and processed foods, my garbage is minimal.  Most of my vegetable, coffee, tea and other non animal waste products are placed in a blender and spread around my property to enhance my soil.  My plants and grass are thriving without any chemical assistance and need minimal additional watering aside from rain.

The Native Americans would thank the animal they would kill for providing food and other items which were used for whatever they were most suitable.
It is the respect given to all living things that is important.  They all have a place in our world.  Consuming them for nourishment is what keeps us alive and healthy.  The clean eating we talk about here supports the environmentally sound, natural way of raising these life sustaining foods.  Sorry Monsanto,
I don't agree with you and your Big Food friends. 

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »
I agree with your comments, Barbara.  It's just hard coming to grips with all of this.

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
I was going to refrain from this thread since I am an avowed carnivore, but here are my two cents:

After reading "Eat The Yolks," I have a renewed respect for hunters and the food chain. (I've always held farmers generally in high regard.) You might choose not to eat meat, and that is fine, more power to you, but remember that we have evolved with the food chain. The whole point of the food chain is to take minerals and nutrients and package them in a bioavailable source for other creatures. (And the point of our deaths should include returning those nutrients to the soil. So I've got crazy ideas about how we should handle human carcasses...)

As far as guilt, it's not that we want to eat meat, but really we must because of evolution. (If you can find ways around this, more power to you, but don't beat yourself up over it. It's like when people get mad at bears or dogs or rats for doing what they are supposed to.)

I am intrigued. Perhaps you could post these ideas in another thread?

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
I know that eating fish is no different than eating meat, but after all I have to eat some protein, and if I can feel better about eating fish than about eating a big steak, then this is how I handle it right now.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »
Leirre Keith encapsulates my sentiments (much more eloquently than I could) in the first chapter of her book on the vegetarian/vegan myth....

http://www.lierrekeith.com/book-ex_the-vegetarian-myth.php

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:00 AM »

Sponsored Links