This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: anyone had lettuce problem?  (Read 3614 times)

healthseeker2014

• View Profile
anyone had lettuce problem?
« on: October 25, 2014, 12:01:27 AM »

i been having strange tummy feels after lettuce for a while now.  but wasn't sure and haven't tried had to isolate the fault cuz there were different food type involved and can be difficult.  i been just washing and eating raw.  but in comparison ,carrot seem fine but again not sure on this.

:-\

http://modernfarmer.com/2013/07/why-lettuce-keeps-making-us-sick/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/16/opinion/bittman-should-you-eat-chicken.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

chicken and lettuce...man.... ::)     really calling into doubt some easier options here....

Redhead65

• View Profile
Re: anyone had lettuce problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »
No, I have never had any problems, and I frequently eat all kinds of lettuce.

healthseeker2014

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:25 AM »
i found out from dr oz lettuce was actually on dirty dozen list.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 06:39:32 AM »
Buy organic whole lettuce heads and wash carefully.  Any time you purchase a product which has  been packaged and processed in some manner, you invite contamination. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
I haven't noticed any illness problems with my lettuce but I have noticed the quality has seriously deteriorated at the closest Publix.  Rusty, wilted and you can plainly see that they have removed the other leaves to extend the sell date.  Very nasty! Even the organic container lettuce doesn't hold up as long.  Looks like a management problem to me.  I guess when they make a few people sick, they will clean up their act.

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:00:03 AM »
I've kind of stopped buying lettuce lately because it doesn't stay fresh very long.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
Yes, freshness often is a problem. The only thing I am really happy with is lamb's lettuce and that only when I buy it so that I can use it up on the same day (or maximum on the next day).

Linda R

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 01:33:19 PM »
Yes, freshness often is a problem. The only thing I am really happy with is lamb's lettuce and that only when I buy it so that I can use it up on the same day (or maximum on the next day).

That's a new one for me, had to do a Bing search and look at photos. What a pretty little leaf!
We learn something new everyday!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 01:32:48 AM »
@Linda
Yes, this is so tasty, and the beautiful thing is that you can buy this lettuce leaf by leaf - so you do not have to buy a specific quantity and throw the rest away (if you live alone).

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »
Lettuces are really easy to grow indoors.  http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-AeroGarden-Indoor-Garden-Gourmet/dp/B000FI4O90   (it's a nice system, but I wouldn't use the the Miracle Gro seeds or fertilizer.)

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »
Lettuce seems to go down in quality around this time of the year. When I do find a nice head or bunch of it, just before making it into a salad, I do this:

Unwrap amount that you want to use. Put it into a large bowl first, add water (ours is filtered water from the dispenser in the refrigerator) almost to the top of the bowl; then I add ice cubes from the ice dispenser & put those in, & swirl the lettuce around , & then let it sit for about 15 min, then remove it to the salad spinner. Don't spin it yet. Fill up the salad spinner about 1/2 way up the bowl and add 1/2 cup of vinegar. Then take the inner slotted bowl & swish it up & down a few times to get the vinegar water all over the leaves. If you want to soak it a bit, this is up to you. Vinegar is an excellent sanitizer & germ killer. I do this with the thought of rinsing off most of the pesticides that we all know is used.

After swishing it, dump the vinegar water out. No need to remove the lettuce. One more rinse with plain water, & you're done. After swishing with the plain (or filtered) water, dump that out & spin the lettuce dry. Sounds like this takes a really long time to do, but it really isn't, and brings more peace of mind to me.

Ziploc bags used to have gallon size produce bags, but they seem to have disappeared from the shelves. The were perforated and did a pretty good job of keeping the lettuce fresh. Going to ask the scjohnson company if they discontinued it, or are in the planning stages of something else to replace it. Amazon has it, but they can keep it. It's $59.97 for 3 boxes of 15 bags each. Ridiculous & a royal rip-off!

Rita's idea may be a solution as well, but I just don't have a "green thumb" and nowhere to put a system like that into place.

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
Re: anyone had lettuce problem? / Recieved an answer from SC Johnson
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »
Sorry it took me this long to return on this subject. We had appointments to keep & were out & about nearly all day yesterday (11/19/14).

The SC Johnson Co. did reply within 24 hrs. as promised.

Well, those produce bags with the perforations in them have been discontinued  :(
I replied back to them & told them that this was disappointing as the bags worked so well.

Sigh. Why do manufacturers do this, always to good things?

Wheat Free Forum

Re: anyone had lettuce problem? / Recieved an answer from SC Johnson
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:08:20 AM »

Sponsored Links