This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: PET food  (Read 4359 times)

Sula

• View Profile
PET food
« on: May 15, 2013, 09:32:37 AM »
Hi all,
Just thought it would be great to start a wheat free pet food topic. I see a few posts in Wheat Belly Blog. I think my cats would do well with wheat/grain/sugar free food also. So, if you have recipes or comments, bring em on! thx.

Teresa

• View Profile
Re: PET food
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
My 5 year old border collie is severely overweight and has extremely sensitive skin, losing fur in spots (especially his tail).  I got him when he was 3 years old and he weighed just under 50 lbs.  I had him neutered before I brought him home and within six months he weighed around 90 lbs.  He is a picky eater so he was definitely never overfed and only received an occasional bite of people food as a treat.  I seriously think his weight gain was due to a lack of hormones resulting from the neutering.  Maybe it would be different if he had been younger when it was done, don't know. 

But since I had such great results from going WF I wondered if Cooper might get some relief as well so I switched him to a completely grain free diet about a month ago.  It's costing me a fortune (about $35 a week) but if it helps I think it'll be worth it.  I know he is miserable.  So far his fur has grown back on his tail, he seems less itchy, and his fur is softer and less wiry.  Several people have commented and said he looks like he's losing weight, you can see it mostly in his face and neck.  I'll take him to the vet eventually and find out for sure.  He's also starting to just look happier, if you know what I mean.  He has been running and jumping (or trying to anyway) more and he is more playful.  And he loves the food, he gets really excited when it's time to eat which is something he's never done. 

We'll see how it goes over the next few months.  I'll have to post some before and after pics, lol.

~Teresa

Joan from MN

• Wheat free since 1/20/13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:19 AM »
The cat's on Orijen, which, from the description, sounds like Paleo for cats. It's pricey, but she doesn't eat as much as she did when she was on lower quality food. She looks a bit like the cat in this ad [just stole the pic--heh!], only she's a torti who spends her days plotting how to get into the garage:

http://www.orijen.ca/cat-food/

Here's my blurb from the "Introduce yourself" section: "I put her on a high-quality grain-free cat food about a year and a half ago because her eyes were getting cloudy and I could tell that her joints hurt when she walked down the stairs. After less than 6 months on the new food, she started acting almost like a kitten again, and her eyes are now clear and bright. She's 11 years old."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:55:14 AM by Joan from MN »

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:52:09 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread Sula. We just this week bought a grain free dog food for our little welsh corgie. She's over 10 years old and in fairly good health (still a lot of pep and "sass"), but the vet said she has a benign tumor and we're hoping we can get that to resolve by feeding her a grainless food. I'll post back here if/when we start to notice any changes.

You're right Teresa, it is more expensive, but thankfully we're able to do it, and we'd like to give her the best last few years we can!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:13 AM »
I just started feeding my dog Bil-Jac food.   It's gluten free and has a lot more meat in it.   I really notice the difference when cleaning poop in the back yard ( which reminds me I need to do that now before the lawn mowing guys come ).   The poop is a lot smaller.

http://bil-jac.com/nutrition.php

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 07:25:45 PM »
WOW! people have posted to here .Neat.
Ahhh I'm new to this, so am impressed. Don't know why, you're all wheat belly fans so obviously cool people, with non-cloudy thinking.
So, I live in Canada and am not sure where to get grain free food for my 3 cats. They are all kibble fans. So let me know what you are feeding your tribe and where you are getting it. THX!
Also, thx for joining in. makes me smile. :)

arlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:41 PM »
you're all wheat belly fans so obviously cool people, with non-cloudy thinking.

This part gave me a laugh.  :D It's been a long time since I was "non-cloudy" and it really does feel good. I'm hoping my little pup will feel as much better as I do now that she's gone grain free too!

Teresa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 05:52:44 AM »
Cooper eats Blue Buffalo, canned and dry together, twice a day.  My daughter commented yesterday that he was definitely losing weight.  :D 
~Teresa

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 10:07:51 AM »
WOW! people have posted to here .Neat.
Ahhh I'm new to this, so am impressed. Don't know why, you're all wheat belly fans so obviously cool people, with non-cloudy thinking.
So, I live in Canada and am not sure where to get grain free food for my 3 cats. They are all kibble fans. So let me know what you are feeding your tribe and where you are getting it. THX!
Also, thx for joining in. makes me smile. :)
Sula, Orijen (see my earlier post) is a Canadian company. I buy mine at a smallish specialty pet food store called Chuck and Don's. 

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 11:15:51 AM »
Thx Joan, I checked their store finder and will be going there tomorrow. Great info. Also nice that they have it in a small rural place.

kenincalgary

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 11:15:23 PM »
I've had dogs for over 20 years and learned the hard way (hard on the dogs) that feeding kibble (wheat free or not) to dogs is about equivalent to humans eating wheat.  Yes, cutting out wheat was crucial for my dogs' health - had an older lhasa apso that developed a bad skin condition and ear infections and was almost killed by the quack vet until I took her to the local (highly regarded) naturopathic vet who informed us that she was allergic to wheat.  Even then we were feeding Orijen, but it was the wheat in the baked treats, so eliminating wheat very quickly cleared up the problem. 

At this point, all dogs were being fed Orijen and I figured that this was the best we could do, ignoring friends' great results of feeding their dogs a raw diet - after all why fix it if it ain't broke?  When I finally tried them on a raw diet I discovered that there were things that were broken!  So my dogs have been thriving and doing well on raw and wheat-free diet.  And the great thing is that locally there are sources for great raw food at great prices - I'm paying slightly less for their raw diet than for the premium kibble diet. 

Personally I've been wheat-free for about 2 months and haven't weighed myself but can now fit into (rock) climbing pants just like in those hard core days, pants that I couldn't even button up not too long ago.

Ken

Dave in KC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »
I'm going today to get wheat-free dog food for the first time for our two pugs, both who have insatiable appetites after being fed dog food with wheat and other grains.  One is overweight (she's 9 years old) and our younger pug (3) is constantly barking to be fed.  After the great experience I've had so far with my own wheat-free diet, I expect that the dogs will respond very well to their own wheat-ectomy.  Will let you know how it turns out. 

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
Thx Joan, found the Orijen, they love it... but I gotta say wholeY COw, smelly stuff. Also holy price... but they are worth it. My old guy ( Mr. Woo ) is moving and looking better than I have seen him in awhile, coat looks glossy, eyes are clearer, just overall looks better. It has only been about 10 days. But I look forward to their good health and longevity. Thx again.

Sula

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:32:32 AM »
Just an up-date. My cats have been on the Orijen food for almost 1 month and one of the most noticeable things is ... no puking! Before being on Orijen I would find a large amount of regurgitated food almost everyday!!! Only once have I found any since the switch, and it was a very small amount!

Joan from MN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »
Sula, that's wonderful! Our kitty rarely pukes either unless she has to hork up a hairball. :D

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 06:11:50 PM »

Sponsored Links