This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: IBS Sufferers after Wheat Belly?  (Read 9453 times)

stacynva

• View Profile
IBS Sufferers after Wheat Belly?
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »
I had IBS pretty bad before starting Wheat Belly now I'm experiencing slight constipation. Is this normal?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: IBS Sufferers after Wheat Belly?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
No.  Neither constipation nor diarrhea are normal.  You might find relief by taking slippery elm pills which are inexpensive and found in most health food stores or online.  Slippery elm is a mucilage which helps make your stool "slippery".  It is very gentle.  Make sure you are drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water as well.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 03:07:28 PM »
If you read Wheat Belly and/or Wheat Belly, Total Health...you'll read about this.  Magnesium supplements can help but you need to get the correct amount.  I had IBS and "IF" I don't get enough oils in my woe...I'll tend to become more constipated.  I've found if I use oil or avacado oils for salad dressing this helps, bullet proof coffee helps as do fat bombs.  Oh and pre and probiotics too.

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:11:49 PM »
> ... before starting Wheat Belly ...

The original WB diet, or the WB Total Health program, which also includes key gut health info?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Make sure you are still eating your fiber, so eat plenty of vegetables.  Your gut microbes need something to eat.

healthseeker2014

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 05:15:21 AM »
might want to  consider other possible baddies in your diet.  produce too high in pesticide.  dr oz site got something on that.

gmo vegetable n gmo processed food.  and organic chicken can still have wheat deriative in it.   might want to screen out wheat deriative with gluten free label if you want meat.

does seem a lot of sheet out there that could be problematic....

stacynva

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
Thanks for all the good advise...I'm going to start the vitamin/mineral regime that Dr Davis recommends and see where that goes. I need patience cause I know this is not an overnight fx and may take months or even years to get my system back in shape.

stacynva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
as do fat bombs. 

I have to ask LibbyMe...what in the world are fat bombs?

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
google Fat Bombs....they're made with coconut oil, butter, choc. and several other options.  I put mine in silicone ice cube trays and freeze.  Good to pop for a dessert or snack.

For me...fat bombs, magnesium and a couple of dollaps of Bob's Red Mill "UNMODIFIED" potato startch in about 6 oz. of water will enable me to have a normal bm.  Once beginning WB I tended to be a bit constipated which isn't normal neither (this after having IBS for sevrral years).  I'm on some Facebook WB links and heard about the fatbombs and potato starch (which is a prebiotic btw) on those.

littlbit

• View Profile
HELP! HELP!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:12 AM »
I also recently have become very constipated.  No action for almost three days now.  That definitely is not my usual.  In my case, I think I might have a blockage from something I ate.  I feel like I'm trying to move stones.  My body goes through all the steps it is supposed to until the final step.  Then everything comes to a screeching halt and I go through some significant pain for about a minute.  I've done extra water, veggies, hot drinks, etc. and my body is trying to do what it is supposed to until I get to that final part.  I think I need a softener versus a laxative.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Doctor's office recommended Ducolax, but don't want to do that unless I have to and it's getting close to that point.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks to all.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
Drink AT LEAST half your body weight in ounces of water daily.  Slippery Elm is an herb which comes in a pill form or a tea.  I prefer the pill.  It acts as a mucilage and makes the stool "slippery".  You can also knead your intestines to get the stool moving.  Probiotics helps to keep your stool healthy.  There are also numerous cleansing teas for sale in your local health food stores.  They usually work fairly well, but I prefer Slippery Elm.  There aren't any side effects.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 07:56:16 AM »
Constipation is a symptom of a larger issue....and if you're in the initial stages of transitioning to WB, it's not unheard of to experience changes in your gut biome which influence your elimination system. Have you added a good probiotic? Magnesium? Fermented foods? Coffee?

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
I'll try to get the slippery elm pills today and hopefully that will work.  I have added water, but that just seems to make me urinate more.  Jan, I am drinking regular coffee...not sure if you were referring to something else.  As to fermented foods, I just bought a large head of cabbage and was actually planning to work with it today.  Any recommendation for a good pro-biotic.  I might as well do all my shopping at once. 

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:29:26 AM »
We use VSL#3, along with Prescript-Assist....Dr. Davis also recommends Garden of Life and I forget the other one. Drinking coffee often helps with one's elimination system....

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:30 AM »
FWIW,

VSL#3 might be available in your neighborhood Walgreens or CVS.  Ask at the pharmacy desk since it needs refrigeration.  The others mentioned are all excellent and can be obtained at a local health food store.  Try to  purchase the refrigerated brands as they usually contain active bacteria, although many brands claim that their method of encapsulation keeps the bacteria alive without refrigeration. 

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
 :D  :D GOOD NEWS LADY'S - Things finally happened. From when I wrote my note earlier till now (about 1 hour later), nature finally stepped in and said "it's time"   :D  I would be lying if I said it wasn't quite painful for a minute or so and I'm shocked at what the result was...let me be as gentle about it as I can... Nothing that long and large should every come out of anyone.  As I'm a tiny individual, about 4'10, I am surprised that could come from me. 

Anyway, I feel 100% better already. :D  I will still get the pro-biotic and slippery elm and increase the water load.  I definitely do not want to go through that again.  Probably up the veggies a little more also.  Oh, what a relief!!   :D :D :D :D

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
I've had experiences with your situation. Pro- and pre- biotics will help a lot. Be aware, it might take a couple weeks for things to readjust, but then it will be better, and no pain.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 04:43:47 AM »
Many years ago I read that a normal stool elimination length is 14 - 21".  There are many variables of course, such as size, weight, health, medications, diet, etc.  I don't remember the source of this, but the researcher was well respected and a peer of Dr. Pottenger (Pottenger's Cats).

Bob Niland (Boundless)

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 07:14:35 AM »
re: We use VSL#3, along with Prescript-Assist....Dr. Davis also recommends Garden of Life and I forget the other one.

RenewLife, which may be a (rare) high quality room temperature product.

The vast majority of PBs on the market are worthless - too few CFUs - of too few species and strains - most of which are already dead (the laughable "potency guaranteed at time of manufacture"). You want 50 billion CFUs of a long list of bugs, and potency guaranteed until expiration date.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 01:57:38 PM »
Barbara, I'm sure you are right.  I'm still new to this so I'm learning every day.  I guess I was just so surprised.  That was a first from me. 

I do appreciate all the helpful hints and tips.  Boundless, thanks for the tip on the Renew Life.  I will definitely look into that one.  Thanks all.   :D :D :D :D 

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 03:06:52 PM »
All of us go through these "oddities" as our body adjusts.  This is the reason we keep contributing our experiences.  While everyone is different healthwise, there are so many ways to deal with a problem that we keep trying until we find the solution that fits.  You just never know what someone else will post and this turns out to be the key to solving your issue.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2015, 05:16:39 AM »
The only other odd thing that happened almost immediately within the issue resolving itself (a few hours) was an intense craving for pasta or I guess something with grains.   I had done well for several weeks and the cravings were gone.  Don't quite understand why that happened.  Seemed a little weird to me.  Was a real struggle not to give in.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »
Littlbit,

Could be many things causing the cravings.  While I don't usually get cravings anymore, I always keep l-glutamine on hand to stop them if they occur. 
GABA also works.  Both of these amino acids are easy to take, work immediately and are in-expensive.  Nora Gedgaudas discusses them and others her book Primal Body-Primal Mind.  The discussion revolves around neuro-transmitters to the brain which happens when your gut biome is changing.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 05:54:28 AM »

Sponsored Links