This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Orthorexia Nervosa???  (Read 3450 times)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Orthorexia Nervosa???
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:24:11 PM »
Does anyone else think there's a hidden agenda in here somewhere?  8)

http://m.wsj.com/articles/when-healthy-eating-calls-for-treatment-1415654737?mobile=y

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Orthorexia Nervosa???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 05:28:10 PM »

Jan,

What will THEY think up next to try and discredit grain and sugar free eating?
Some days, between reading, blogging, food shopping and meal preparation, I spend more than 3 hours thinking about or making my food.  Am I obsessed with finding non processed, pesticide free and humanely raised edibles?  Depends on who you ask: some people think I'm un-American and  a
nutcase; others think I must be doing the right thing because my skin glows, I have energy and don't have any conditions needing prescription drugs.

I will talk about my diet only if someone asks.  I do get unsolicited compliments about my hair, skin, energy levels and easy, graceful movements which are definitely a result of my "clean" eating efforts.  Do I specifically avoid eating in restaurants that refuse to accommodate my grain and sugar free preferences?
Yes.  Do I carefully wash ALL the produce I eat?  You betcha!  Knives touch the skins and spread bacteria and pesticides onto the inside of the item that I am cutting.  Perhaps that certifies me as an obsessive-compulsive nut case. 

It is columns like this that are using scare tactics to promote their hidden agenda by blaming/name calling people who do eat our way.  Shame on the Wall Street Journal for promoting Big Food by calling me a nutcase.  Orthorexia nervosa indeed!

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Oh brother!  Seriously???

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 07:05:19 AM »

Jan,

What will THEY think up next to try and discredit grain and sugar free eating?

It is columns like this that are using scare tactics to promote their hidden agenda by blaming/name calling people who do eat our way.  Shame on the Wall Street Journal for promoting Big Food by calling me a nutcase.  Orthorexia nervosa indeed!

Indeed, could not have said it any better.

Do Big Food and Big Pharma have this publication in their pockets as well?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Orthorexia Nervosa???
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
When the article first appeared in my inbox, at first glance, I thought it was satirical....but then realized she was SERIOUS! Even though they mistakenly lump vegan, vegetariasm, paleo, organic etc. under one dietary umbrella....I now think she's probably a shill for Big-food, Big-agra and Big-Pharma's new collective strategy to negate the mounting and popular food movement happening throughout the world......Yep, they must all be CRAZY! (Hmmm....do you think paranoia is a symptom of ' Orthorexia Nervosa"? 8) )

One commentator wrote, "This condition can be called 'Compulsive Organic Disorder'....signs of this disease include a strong belief in global warming, a deep desire to own a Prius........(etc.).....this disorder can be observed in high numbers in the produce department at Whole Foods Markets.".

My favorite...."Ortholexia: the compulsive desire to write an article without substance."

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:52:40 AM »
Yep, we are the epitome of this complex disorder because we even spend time here blogging about food, recipes, general health topics and anything else we think may be of interest to other forum posters.  Our impaired cognitive processes even go a step further because we really don't believe that what is good for Big Food is Good for America.  When did purchasing organic food become abnormal?  Is it abnormal to NOT want pesticides in your food and soil?

Perhaps all this clean eating has really changed my critical thinking processes so that I understand the not so subtle intimidation of the food/agri/medico/pharm industrial complex trying to intimidate me so they can make more money.  Guess I'll go to Whole Foods now and hang out with my friends. 

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 11:42:55 AM »

Guess I'll go to Whole Foods now and hang out with my friends. 

Wait for me, Barb, I'm right behind you, driving my Pri.................woops, my Taurus. See you in the produce section! :) :) :)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 01:26:32 PM »
This is so funny,  I love it!  It's the old 'if we can't convince them, we'll just call them crazy' routine.  We should get tees that say something like, 'I'm crazy, I eat real food' or 'I'm nuts and I eat them, too!'.  Or, maybe something about not meeting your friends at the doctor's office.  I'm sure we could come up with some great ones.  We'll know when we meet another LCHF because they will get it.  Just remember, if asked what it means, is a perfect time to pitch better diet. Just kidding!  These articles always hit my funny bone rather hard.  In case anyone wonders: my son and one niece laugh hysterically with me and everyone else thinks I'm, well... crazy.  Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

HRDVM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 01:36:10 PM »
Yes, we shouldn't be questioning the dogma of the "healthy grains" food pyramid  ;D  For most of human existence, people have spent their time growing, harvesting, and preparing food in order to survive- it's only in the past few decades that modern convenience foods have allowed us more time for other pursuits. And a quick and easy way to chronically poison ourselves! My doctor actually told me that taking care of my health could be a full time job, so I feel vindicated for the time I do spend thinking about and preparing meals (which isn't enough). And I think my "unhealthy fear" of gluten is warranted, considering that a single stray crumb could incapacitate me for days. This author obviously has no sympathy for the gluten-intolerant.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
Folks,

So there I am at Whole Foods just hanging out.  The organic golden beets with greens still attached looked good and I placed them in my cart.  I looked up and there was another shopper having the produce assistant cut the greens off  her red beets and discard them into his bin.  I must have had a look of shock and longing on my face because grocer said he could not sell them to me because he didn't have a key number for the register.  I hadn't even asked! He added that many people have him cut off the green leaf tops and discard them and an equal number request them.  I guess that I really am suffering from organic compulsive disorder.   :D

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »
All I can say about this article is: Oh, Brother!
Pardon my French, but what a piece of c**p!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
>"I guess I really am suffering from organic compulsive disorder"...,

That's ok Barbara....take two aspirin (or a zanax) and call us in the morning!!!  8)

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
You folks are too funny!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »

Sponsored Links