This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Potaffle recipe  (Read 3962 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Potaffle recipe
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:51:27 AM »
Today's paper had an interesting recipe for leftover mashed potatoes cooked in a waffle iron.  Butyrate anyone?  This is adapted from realfoodbydad.com by leaving out the 1/4 c. flour to absorb the egg.  This was published in relish.com magazine.  The link doesn't work, but here is the recipe.

POTAFFLE

4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
2 TBS finely chopped scallions or chives
2 TBS finely chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten.

Coat waffle iron with oil.  Preheat.
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Spoon about 1/4 c. onto the center of the waffle iron and cook until golden brown.  Repeat. 

Recipe makes about 16 small waffles.   

I gave away my waffle iron, but successfully used my George Forman grill.    I'd bet that you can use a fry pan for this.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: Potaffle recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Clever and I love the name.  My mother used to make pancakes similar to this; they were very good.  She should have tried the waffle iron, that sounds even better.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
In my world, these are called 'latkes'.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »
My great aunt had a recipe similar to latkes, with grated potatoes.  They were very good, too, but for some reason, tasted different to me than my mother's mash potato pancakes.  Don't know why, they were both potato.  They were both really good eating.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 04:43:04 PM »
Lynda,

That is because there is a difference.  Grated potatoes release a lot of their starch and have a lot of surface area to be cooked, usually fried.  Ingredients are different as well.  Grated potatoes don't need any binders like eggs since the starch holds them together, just flavorings like salt and pepper or onions.  They are cooked in their raw state. There is a lot of air between the tiny shreds of potato as well.  Even reheated, they are still in the same form.

The recipe I posted is made from already cooked and cooled mashed potatoes with some added ingredients.  They aren't fried, but rather heated between 2 hot and oiled metal elements. Boiling the potatoes to prepare them for mashing removes a lot of the starch and the potassium.  Often dairy products added in addition to the dry spices.  Mashing blends everything together and removes the air, making the potato dense.  When you use leftover mashed potatoes to make a patty, you add additional ingredients to make it not as dense and you cook it again, this time using another way to heat them like pan frying or the waffle iron.  These changes are why the reheated mashed potato patties taste different from latkes.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »
Thanks Barbara,  I know I love them all (kind of wish I didn't!  Potatoes are my downfall).

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
Lynda,

The "trick" is to cook and cool the potatoes so that your gut is treated to a dose of butyrate bacteria.  The other trick is to eat only a small amount!  It is also good to remember to eat these starches with vegetables and not at the same time as animal proteins for better digestion, or at least eat the starch first and then, after a break, eat the meat. 

My first year on WB, I only ate perhaps a 1/4 cup of potatoes in any form, about 3x.  Then when Paul Jaminet's book was published and we discussed it on this forum, all of a sudden it was OK to eat modest amounts of rice or potatoes for the butyrate that forms when they are cooked and cooled. Heaven!  Add butter from grass fed cows!  It is OK to eat a few more carbs if you feel better with them!  Yippie!

So this entire notion of nourishing your gut biome is evolving with the WB  way of eating concept.

By the way, I like potatoes, but don't really crave them anymore.   ;D

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:49:38 PM »
Ummmm,  more potato salad!  I just have a real problem with stopping at 1/4 cup.  Just like an addict, I will keep taking more till I reach 1/2 cup or more and start to gain weight.  I could cheerfully live on potatoes alone.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 06:32:52 AM »
In thinking about these potato patty recipes, whatever you call them, I remember eating lefse when visiting my husband's family in Minnesota.  This was a very thin potato bread/wrap made on a special pan.  It was mainly a mashed potato batter with flavorings and flour cooked on a hot flat pan.

Does anyone have a suitable wheat free recipe?

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
This looks like a wonderful recipe, but I will probably pass this time around.  At least until I get to the weight I want to be. Potatoes are too high carb for me just now.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:34:34 PM »
Loanne....My grandmother used to make ricotta latkes using ricotta cheese, eggs, flour (which you could substitute with coconut flour), baking powder and salt (maybe a sweetener too)....very tasty and low carb too. Our potato latkes were usually made to use up leftover potatoes....baked, mashed etc.

Loanne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »
Thanks, Jan!  My mom used to fry potato-type burgers...without meat, but using up leftover mashed potatoes, adding an egg or two and onion powder.  They were wonderful.  I'll try your recipe...I'm looking for different things to cook all the time. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »

Sponsored Links