This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: An epiphone  (Read 6077 times)

HungryinTN

An epiphone
« on: November 13, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »
I think that right now either a) my body is happy where it is or b) there is something wrong that I would need to go to a doctor for and that's not going to happen.  One way or another, I think I'm just going to keep on keepin' on for a while and not worry one lick about weight or even fat loss.  It would be nice to lose the last thirty pounds and get down to a "normal" weight, but it would just mean another wardrobe replacement anyway.  Maybe after the holidays I'll give up alcohol for a while and see if that spurs the weight loss along (I imagine it will help at least a little), and possibly join a gym and start getting more exercise again (I am a total pansy about exercising outdoors in cold weather) but until then I'd rather enjoy the weddings and parties and gatherings I have coming up without worrying about my weight or alienating myself any further than my lifestyle already does from my friends and family.  I will continue to eat sensibly and will certainly be avoiding wheat and gluten avidly, but I think the scale and I are going to take a little break.  Knowing me, there's a very good chance I will gain ten pounds before the new year without the scale to guide me.  But sometimes the high end of the sea-saw is a good place to start going back down anyway. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
Re: An epiphone
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:12:15 PM »
It's not a terrible plan.  As long as you continue to eat well, you should end the year in better health.  Just watch those holiday pies: what I wouldn't give for a flaky, sugary pie (or two)!!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:19:15 PM »
Your plan does not sound bad. ;-)
When an idea (in your case the weight loss idea) takes up too much room, it is time to let go.
I don't know whether my idea might be too out of the question for you but how about NOT weighing yourself - not even in the new year?
Five years ago I stopped stepping on a scale. For me it was like this that the scale was ruling my mood. Okay, you sound a bit different than me, but still it could be a relief for you.

Without a scale I know when I loose weight or bredth.

If you start working out, you might  loose bredth but gain weight, because muscles are heavier.

HungryinTN

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
My past experience with throwing out the scale has consistently been negative.  My metabolism, even after a year and a half of healing, is so badly damaged that it takes very little to send me careening off in the wrong direction.  I don't attach that much importance to the number on the scale.  It is simply one easily quantifiable measure of my health that I can keep track of inexpensively from home.  My self-worth comes from my accomplishments, not from my appearance (it is one of the fortunate side-effects of having never been especially good looking).  I do feel uncomfortable in my own skin once I get above a certain weight, which is why I have to guard myself closely, but it has more to do with feeling like my weight/poor health and awkwardness (not fitting comfortably in chairs at conferences, getting winded giving presentations, etc.) is distracting from my scholarly abilities than whether or not I am attractive to a man.  I will continue to check my weight occasionally, just to make sure I don't get too far off course, but right now I'd rather spend more time enjoying my friends and family and their hospitality, and providing them with an equal level of hospitality when I can, than counting my carbs and drinks. 

Thankfully I don't have too much of a sweet tooth, though, so the pies don't pose much of a threat.   ;)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 08:41:47 PM »
Hungry, just wondering: are you still consuming dairy products?

HungryinTN

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »
Only raw milk, regularly.  I had been eating some raw milk cheese but have recently cut it out.  If I'm at a social engagement, I'll certainly keep my dairy options open considering there is usually little else available that I'm willing to put in my body (going to a wedding in the woods this weekend...that should be a landmine...)[size=78%].  [/size]

HungryinTN

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
My epiphany for this morning was realizing exactly why I don't want to weigh myself anymore, really:  it's too freakin cold to get naked!  BRRR!  It was 23 degrees here last night and I live in an old, drafty house.  Thank goodness I rarely have to leave it - showering is just too tall of an order! 

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 08:45:53 AM »

I think that's a good idea Hungry. I believe we have to determine not only what we CAN do, but also what we WILL do or else we're beating ourselves up all the time.

Mark from Mark's Daily Apple recently said: "But donít let the perfect become the enemy of the good."

And..."People need to stop chasing dietary perfection."

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/kerrygold-gmos-primal-jainism-saffron-supplement/#

And Flylady says, "Sometimes good enough is good enough."

As you said, just don't eat wheat!!!!!!...and keep the carbs low and the fat high. Even if that's not "perfect," it is "good."

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
A good article, Deanna.  I really like Mark's realistic attitude and read him regularly.

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 02:40:41 PM »
One thing I especially like about the Paleo lifestyle is that I always hear recommendations towards being 85% good. It's simply physically impossible in modern society and eat and live like a caveman. You drink alcohol? You eat cheese? You eat beans or any of the other no-no's? You cheat or fall off the wagon? No problem. Don't beat yourself up over it. All things in moderation, even moderation.

HungryinTN

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 06:05:53 PM »
Alcohol is definitely my greatest "sin."  I moderate the frequency - once a week or less, with occasional exceptions - but moderating the amount is quite a different story.  For a young and relatively petite woman I have the tolerance of an Irish sailor.  "Stop when you're buzzed" has no meaning in my world (a friend of mine recently made the mistake of matching me drink for drink and missed two days of work...).  I just do what I can to minimize the toxicity it causes me using NAC, vitamin C, thiamine, and activated charcoal, plus loads of water before, during, and after, and healthy meals.  And of course I don't drive, nor do I drink on nights when I have something important to do the next day despite rarely getting hangovers. 
I do believe, though, that alcohol is what is stopping me from losing fat right now, since it is a "preferred" energy source in the body, causing fat storage.  When I was losing most rapidly last year, I wasn't drinking at all. But for the time being, fat loss is getting de-prioritized, temporarily.  'Tis the season!

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »
IT took me til the end of this thread to figure out what an epiphone is lol!! ;)

HungryinTN

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
It's actually a guitar. It was an accident but I decided to just go with it.  8)

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
I figured that Ö it gave me a good chuckle, because I was actually going to google what kind of phone an EPI is, lol!  Glad you have a good sense to humor.  8)

HungryinTN

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
Things are moving kinda slow on the forum these days so I thought I might as well give a little post.  Hope everyone is doing well out there! I've adopted the egg fast strategy as a tool to get through the holidays without a net gain, or maybe even with a small net loss, though I am not going to go out of my way on that until I can get re-focused.  I already started later than I intended to because Friday I was still with my family and we went out to lunch and Saturday I went Christmas shopping and then went out to watch the Iron Bowl.  Sunday was fine except that I had leftover steak to finish.  Yesterday was *almost* perfect, but I had an event to attend at a local museum last night and the only drinks provided were wine, beer, and sugary sodas.  No water or even a water fountain.  So I drank wine to keep my whistle wet while I mingled and networked.  I'll egg fast today and part of the day tomorrow, but then for the rest of the week I will have limited control over my access to healthy food.  I am not going to TRY to gain weight, but I expect I will.  I started yesterday at 181.2 and this morning was 179.8.  Down almost three pounds overall since before Thanksgiving.  Works for me. 

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »
Good work, Hungry, most people claim they just gained that much.  Nice to go to a party and lose and at holiday time, too.

HungryinTN

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
Phew today was a rough one!  Starting with the worst nightmare of my life that kept me from even wanting to TRY to go back to sleep at 5AM, the day just kept getting more and more stressful. At the end, after an emergency run to Home Depot, I was SERIOUSLY tempted to stop at the bar and just start drinking.  But I resisted!  Yay!  And I'd already been egg fasting all day, so I wasn't even a little hungry or I might have also been tempted to go get some junk food.  Things got worse when I got back home after Home Depot, but I stuck to my guns.  Yay me!  Now I have no heat until Monday, but if I can survive that, I just have to get through the next few days of being COMPLETELY off of my routine.  Will, report back! 

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 09:50:29 PM »
Best of luck. Good that you resisted temptation. Yesterday I also had a frustrating day, and in the end I would have liked to eat pizza just to stuff me up and not to feel the frustration, but then I said to myself "no, these people who got on my nerves are not worth ruining my discipline".
Regarding no heating: I hope you have enough pullovers.

HungryinTN

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »
Thankfully I won't be at my house for most of the heating crisis and it doesn't get cold here again until the middle of next week.  But my temptation resistance paid off and I was back down to 178.2 - a decent starting place for the next three days during which I will have almost no control over my dietary choices. 

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 06:41:54 AM »
Good job - KUDOS to you on staying strong in the midst of temptation!  And good luck the next 3 days, it's so worth staying on the path, feeling good and looking good are still high on my list of things to eat well for!!  ;)

HungryinTN

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 06:51:46 AM »
I did my best, but I was at the mercy of office parties and hosts for many of my meals, and most of the options were gluten-laden, usually leaving me with nachos and processed meat.  I tried to eat to well when I wasn't dependent on office parties, but there was no cooking option.  I was staying with my boyfriend whose idea of a clean kitchen is no mold on the pile of dishes in the sink.  And I don't have much money right now so I had to eat as cheaply as possible.  Anyway it went terribly AND I caught a cold from my boyfriend (which now that I am back home makes the lack of heating even more fun).  I am starting back on the egg fast today with a starting weight of (gulp) 184.4.

HungryinTN

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 08:39:44 AM »
Phew!  Despite being couchbound with a cold for the past two days I've managed to get rid of my holiday/work trip gains and am back down to 178.8, putting me pretty much back to square one, which is a perfectly fine place to be during the holiday season, IMHO.  I'm digging the simplicity of the egg diet right now more than anything.  Easy meal prep, very little thought or planning required (since I work from home - probably somewhat more complicated when you have to plan and carry lunch), and since I have my organic pasture-raised eggs now (I bought three dozen while I was in Tennessee and my boyfriend is bringing me three more when he comes down next week), I feel like I'm getting plenty of nutrition.  Plus I'm loading up on extra vitamins right now (mainly D, C, and zinc) and drinking extra water and tea to try to kill this bug, so but for the scratchy dry cough and slight nasal congestion I'm feeling pretty good.  Plus my heat's been turned back on.  That's a bonus.  Now if I can just convince my cat that office chair time is not lap time, I might become a functional human being again...

HungryinTN

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 08:21:25 AM »
So I did basically a modified egg fast yesterday - BP coffee and two egg meals early in the day.  In the afternoon I ate some almonds because I needed the vitamin E (I knew I was going to be drinking again and I try to make sure I get my levels up of vitamins and minerals alcohol is known to deplete), and then a beef stick right before I went to the party, hoping against hope that there would be something I could eat.  Somebody did bring a vegetable tray, but raw vegetables tend to tear my stomach up and I didn't want to spend half the party taking up the only bathroom, so I refrained.  In the end I ate the cheese off of a slice of pizza.  Not great, but something.  I ended up only having a couple of drinks before my exhaustion set in from not having slept much in the last few days.  I excused myself early, came home and made some scrambled eggs and a hot toddy, drank some water, and went to bed.  Weight this morning was 177.4. 
My friends are going to be pressuring me to have "fun" for the next few days - one friend who is a nursing student just finished her semester, another is in from out of town, and another's ex has the kids until Sunday - but I'm not sure how much "fun" I'll be up for.  The nursing student is moving so I'll be at her house a lot helping pack, but it's waaaaaay out in the country on a winding mountain road and I have no intention of drinking anything before I drive down that beast.  Plus 177.4 is starting to get back into my happy zone and getting me motivated again, which I wasn't expecting to happen for a while (hence the original post on this thread). 

HungryinTN

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
It's been a busy week.  I spent last weekend with my parents for our traditional tree-trimming party.  We really carbed it up!  I was able to find lots of paleo-ish goodies at their local health food store and stay true to most aspects of my dietary preferences but did not even try to stay low carb.  When I came home, my boyfriend came down from Tennessee and stayed for several days.  Normally when we're together we go out to eat for almost every meal but this time I was able (and pretty much had to because we're both broke) to cook all but one of our meals (I took him out for a special birthday dinner one night).  He left yesterday and I had kind of a weird food day - I had some avocado oil potato chips in the house and ate half the bag.  At that point I just decided to do the opposite of my usual egg fast and do a high starch day (it's a hack advocated by some).  I had a sweet potato for lunch and a sweet potato for dinner (I had them and needed to eat them anyway).  I half expected my weight to be way up today, but after all of my "cheating" and drinking in the past week, my net gain came out to only a pound.  It makes me wish I had weighed yesterday morning.  Today I am back to zero carb.  I won't quite call it an egg fast because I ate a beef stick a few minutes ago for a snack.  But more or less eggs. 
I'm feeling good but really lazy for some reason.  I think I have worried myself into a corner over my dissertation research and it has sent my brain on an unscheduled sabbatical.  I am planning a trip to the library tomorrow if I can scrape together some change for copies and hopefully it will help me start getting back on track.         

HungryinTN

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
Also, as a sidenote, I tried liver the other day in the form of liver mousse.  It was gross.  I am not ready for liver yet. 

Suzhookem

• Wheat Free April 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 02:38:56 PM »
Wondering if I'll ever be ready for liver!

HungryinTN

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 07:20:56 AM »
Wondering if I'll ever be ready for liver!

Me too!  So sad.  It is something I very much want to learn to eat. 

Up .8 lb today.  Probably liver congestion from alcohol consumption a couple of nights in a row before I restarted.  I also may not have consumed enough water yesterday.  One way or another, on to day 2!

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2014, 05:12:51 AM »
My mother used to prepare beef liver with tomato sauce (onions, garlic, olives, probably paprika). I really enjoyed that a lot.

BarbinNC

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:11 AM »
I always enjoyed Saure Leber in Germany, but here I am not sure which liver to buy.  Don't trust those in the grocery store, can only get frozen.  I've been buying the liverwurst from Schaller and Weber, found it at a store called The Fresh Market here in town, and it's delicious - so well spiced, our little guy just loves it and screams for it, literally - he's not talking yet (turned 18 months yesterday) but he lets you know in no uncertain terms, what it is he wants, lol!   8)

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2015, 04:14:11 AM »

Sponsored Links