This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Corn starch?  (Read 2720 times)

LindaSue

• View Profile
Corn starch?
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:58:12 AM »
The 'wheat Belly' book specifies 'aluminum free' corn starch in some recipes.  Well, am I mistaken or is it still CORN STARCH?  The key being it contains CORN which is a grain.  That's confusing.  I have the Clabber Girl Corn Starch which is NON GMO ... a Gluten Free Product.  So, is Corn Starch still a no-no?  Thanks!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Re: Corn starch?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:19:42 PM »
Linda Sue,

Corn starch?  In Dr. Davis's book?  Which book and what page?  As a thickener, we usually substitute coconut flour, guar gum, xanthan gum, gelatin, konjac flour and others, depending on the recipe and food involved.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
Are you sure it wasn't aluminum free baking powder?

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:39:10 AM »
This is incredible. I am learning a lot here. I did not know that baking powder could contain aluminum, but it is true!
Luckily I found an organic, glutenfree and aluminumfree baking powder, and I have put that on my shopping list for next week.
Normally I had wanted to bake a cake this weekend, but I just found out that the baking powder I have at home now is glutenfree but with aluminum. So baking a cake is cancelled.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:33 PM »
FORMULA for baking powder:   1 tsp. baking soda + 2 tsp. cream of tartar.  Mix thoroughly.

Cornstarch or aluminum is added by manufacturers as an anti-clumping agent and preservative.  Until recently, I never knew that baking powder was really a "convenience" product.

Very easy to mix the needed baking powder when you will be using it rather than store an extra package in your pantry.  I always had cream of tartar on hand for whipping egg whites into stiff peaks for desserts.  The meringue holds up better with cream of tartar than sugar.  Most of the older egg white recipes use cream of tartar instead of sugar to stiffen the egg whites.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 10:03:13 PM »
Thanks, Barbara. Cream of tartar is on my shopping list now.

LindaSue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:47 PM »
Sorry for the confusion.  I meant to say that even the Aluminum-free baking powder contains CORN STARCH.  Now, that is confusing because the 'Wheat Belly' bread and muffin recipes call for aluminum-free baking powder.

I guess there is just no way to eliminate every speck of grain.

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 02:09:55 PM »
I am still confused. Aluminum-free baking powder and cream of tartar are the same or are different things?

Janknitz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
I use Hains brand baking powder. It uses potato starch. I try to avoid all corn products not just because they are grains but also because in the U.S. they are inevitably GMO.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Redhead,

Cream of tartar is found in the area where stores sell spices.  It is used to give "body" to whipped egg whites instead of sugar, as in merengue  and is added to baking soda to make baking powder.  As Janknitz just posted, there are different commercial brands which contain various anti-clumping agents,  so make sure you read the labels. 

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
I meanwhile found organic cream of tartar and I read the lables. Thank you.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »

Sponsored Links