This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Things to avoid in body care products  (Read 1288 times)

Redhead65

• View Profile
Things to avoid in body care products
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
Hi, I am still busy cleaning my life. I discoverd that so far I had not invested any energy into looking at the body care products beyond the level of wheat. So far I understand that sodium laurin sulfate and natrium laurin sulfate are to be avoided. I found a German site called www.codecheck.info, and now step by step I am taking products out of the cabinet and I enter them into this site. At least every second product ends up in the trash bin.
This job will probably keep me busy until the end of the year, because as of tomorrow work starts again and I cannot spend too much time on this then.
Are there others here who also felt overwhelmed by how many detrimental things exist in the area of body care? Well, considering how many trashy foods exist, I maybe should not have been that surprised.  ;)

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Things to avoid in body care products
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:11:48 AM »
Randal.....below is a link to a Rodale article on going green around the house. They mention several products we use...Seventh Generation has a decent laundry/dishwashing detergent that comes in cardboard containers and they make lots of other products including biodegradable trash bags (although it takes two years to degrade) toilet paper etc. Dr. Bronner's is great to keep on hand  (smells wonderful)...I use it in handsoap dispensers, and even in the laundry now and then, and for general cleaning purposes. Hydrogen peroxide is a great toilet bowel cleaner....a mixture of white vinegar and water works well in the shower....or for heavy soap scum add in some baking soda. Charcoal toothpaste and coconut oil for oral hygiene.....coconut oil for skin care....green tea soap for bathing.

I've tried to rid our lives of plastic for many, many years and that seems to be the hardest for me....I have replaced all the Tupperware with glass...try to avoid buying anything in plastic containers (which is nearly impossible !) but we still use baggies now and then. Going "green" is a never-ending process.....

http://www.rodalenews.com/green-bathroom-cleaning-tips?page=0,0

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:01:41 AM »

Randal,

Yahoo has articles on using fresh lemon as a cleanser and stain remover. Lime and grapefruit is also usable.  Borax is another laundry/cleanser/fabric softener that is excellent for laundry, even those new front loading machines.  Borax (sold as Boraxo) can be used for killing insects like ants, cleaning paint brushes and many other items.  It is biodegradable and non toxic.  I also use peroxide for cleaning my bathroom as well as ordinary white vinegar for hard water stains.

I vouch for Dr. Bronner's soap as well.  I have used this for  many years.  It is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. 

Redhead65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
I am so excited that Bronners is mentioned here. I bought Bronners soap recently. A year ago, when I bought this soap the first time I also used two drops of it for brushing the teeth. It worked very well. Mr. Bronner came to Stuttgart at that time to introduce his products.

On Saturday I bought an organic shampoo containing SLS. I am going to take that right back to the store this week. When I picked the item, I had not been alerted to SLS and I was all focused on wheat-freedom. Speaking of wheat, today a sales girl tired to sell me a shampoo that had the word "wheat" in the name. It was from Weleda, a high-priced organic manufacturer. I politely declined, emphasizing that I want something without wheat and without SLS.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »

Sponsored Links