This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth...is it good or bad??:  (Read 2484 times)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
Diatomaceous Earth...is it good or bad??:
« on: December 08, 2014, 10:29:10 AM »
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) popped up on my FB page.  There is also a support link on FB re: it so I've been reading re: it.  Anyone familiar with it?  Thoughts!!

Currently I'm doing a pre (Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch) and a probiotic along with all the recommended supplements that Dr. Davis recommends.

I'm just searching for a natural way to heal since our budget doesn't allow me to go see a functional medical doctor.  There is one in our community but he charges out of pocket for his office calls and the labs would be that as well.  We're on Medicare and a Supplement (it's an advantage plan) that won't pick up any costs out of network.  My primary is supportive of my doing WB but still is conventional re: medications---such as statins (which I refuse to take).  IF I could reduce my cholesterol (I've been told by folks on the WB links that my #'s are fine) to a better range (for my primary to back off) and also to get some other #'s down as well.  I've been able, so far, to reduce my metformin and Armour Thyroid medications.  That said re: the latter...my primary doesn't really know how to treat thyroid issues as a whole.  I know this is a lengthy and all-over-the-board question...but would appreciate thoughts.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Diatomaceous Earth...is it good or bad??:
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »
This is one of a few conversations we've had about DE on here....I did try it for a short while and if I remember correctly, it affected my bowels adversely.....

http://wheatfreeforum.com/index.php/topic,378.msg3409.html#msg3409

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:02:39 PM »
Libby,

Many of us are in the same situation of Medicare and supplement premiums but get relief only from the alternative practitioners and this is a full out of pocket cost.  That quickly becomes an economic issue that you carefully must decide if you will get enough results with perhaps 1 or 2 visits. 

If found that my cholesterol went down with this way of eating and the more vegetables I eat (at least 1/2 my plate), the lower the cholesterol.  I am having my yearly checkup later this afternoon so I don't have recent comparisons, but it went down when I started this WOE and down again a year later. 

Your cholesterol should be slowly going down as your body is normalizing.  You know this is happening  because you are deducing your meds.  My thinking is that as long as there is continued improvement, you are eating right.  What improvements you can make to speed up this process?  Probably drinking more filtered water and doing an herbal cleanse.  The cleanse is because you heal faster when your intestines are clear of any impacted stool.  The water is to keep your cells hydrated.

My doctor prescribed 25 mcg of Synthroid because my body temp was a bit low.  This is a very low dose.  I can't say it did anything noticeable. 

Just remember that the older and more compromised you are, the longer it will take for your body to become normal again.  Sometimes you can't ever regain full normalcy, but at least you will have improved  most health issues significantly.

DE is very good, but you really must drink a lot of water with it, probably twice what you are drinking now.  It is much easier to take the DE after you have completed a cleanse because the DE absorbs a lot of water and you want to make sure that all previously impacted stools are gone.

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:31 PM »
Can I take this if I'm doing the pre and probiotics mentioned in my 1st post??   What kind of cleanse do you recommend??

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Libby,

Yes, you can take the DE with the pre and probiotics. Just remember to start slowly and increase the DE slowly while increasing your water intake.

There are endless herbal teas, cleanses and similar concoctions in a health food store.  They are used to loosen and increase your eliminations and clean out your intestines.  I've recently used the herbal tea by Dr. Wolffe, The Doc of Detox. [size=78%]www.docofdetox.com[/size]
It was gentle yet potent.  I did feel a difference.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:16:35 PM »
A short fast.....2 or 3 days every so often can also have cleansing benefits.....we call it clearing our cache, defragging, then rebooting our bodies....and it's free!  8)

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
I went into the last thread (conversation) and found it informative to a point.  Thank you all for your comments.  I'm still in that "consideration" mode with this.  Reading all the testimonies  re: D.E. was compelling however.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »

Sponsored Links