This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Water filters  (Read 7145 times)

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Water filters
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:59:59 PM »
Do any of you use a water filter?   If so, which one?   Are you happy with it?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
Re: Water filters
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 03:39:09 AM »
I'm interested in this topic as well....we bought a new house last spring and have limited space for a whole house RO system, which is our preference.....(no basements down here). We've researched several 'under the kitchen sink' filters but none that I can find filter out all the flouride isotopes....and/or all heavy metals etc., other than the RO. I think we are going to install a small RO system under the sink which will result in changing filters more often and unfortunately, giving up some (much needed) cabinet space. Even though they say otherwise, the city water here is pretty awful! We're open to suggestions....need to make a decision by the first of the year.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:38:34 AM »
I've also been looking at this water pitcher:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005774ZXE

According the the company website, the regular filter removes 90% of the fluoride:
http://www.seychelle.com/seychelle-water-filters.html

I'm just not sure if the 'regular filter' is the filter that goes with that water pitcher.  And, can you really remove fluoride using a water pitcher?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:55:16 AM »
A couple of the Amazon reviewers, using flouride testers, stated that their results were incongruent with the company's....that the flouride was not diminished. My other issue is the plastic....the company states that their containers are BPA free but not BPS free....which can be worse, among a bunch of other contaminants. It's nearly impossible to get that information out of manufactures....I've written to several and I either get no response or "I don't know" or "it's a proprietary secret".  Very frustrating! I'm leaning to the stainless RO unit that fits under the sink with a designated spicket.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
Good point on the plastic.

I think we pretty much need to do a reverse osmosis filter.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 02:53:34 PM »
I use well water.  It is rather hard.  I use an electronic device to breakup the limescale (calcium) to that it is absorbable in our body.  This has also softened the water tremendously.  Even with a pressure pump, my water pressure was not the best.  With this device, it has increased to a nearly normal pressure as the limescale in the pipes dissolves. 

I was investigating all kinds of water filtration systems for my parents as well as this water softener.  Water is nutritious and has minerals in it.  If you remove all the minerals then you are missing out on good nutrition, like absorbable calcium and magnesium.  Whatever filter system you decide to use, however, will work much better and the filters last much longer if you use the electronic device to break up the calcium before it enters the filter system.

I do not have a salt based water softener.  These are bad for you, very hard on your appliances and clothes and bad for the environment because the wastewater is salty which just adds to the chemical pollution of our land and water. 

Think very carefully before spending any money on a filter system.  Distilled water is not the healthiest water to drink because all the minerals are filtered out.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:07:28 AM »
There are so many RO systems available now....it's difficult to find the most environmentally friendly one, especially when space is an issue. The one below might be an option....it requires less water, gets rid of flouride, chlorine as well as heavy metals....all of which are in our drinking water down here. We already use their shower filters and they're easy to install....

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/reverse-osmosis/

Graindead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »
Interesting to see this thread. I've often thought with so much attention to what we eat, I've read very little about the water we drink.I was trying to find a decent water filter for drinking water specifically, but didn't want the faucet attachment. After much research, I settled on a Berkey. I've had it for about 6 months now and feel like I made the right choice. We use it daily and the water really tastes great. Our city water is trash, and this does the job. I bought the Big Berkey. A bit pricey, but the filters (4) should last for 12,000 gallons. It filters out fluoride, which was a biggie for me.

http://www.berkeyfilters.com/

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »
We put in a whole house system when we moved to FL 5 years ago.  It surprised me as it was expensive (about 3k) as my husband is fairly thrifty.  It's in the garage and he's gone and I can't remember it's name but we've been quite satisfied with it.

Jewwell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 07:26:48 PM »
We use a Santevia but I'm not sure if it's only available in Canada. I really like it. It holds about a gallon of water. It has a 6 stage filter which removes most harmful substances then has mineral stones at the bottom which add back the beneficial minerals.

Does need to be filled by hand so is a certain amount of work. But the water tastes great and I love it. Our tap water here tastes awful.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 12:13:09 PM »
I'm looking at water filters again.

I now want to filter water throughout the house.  Any suggestions?

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 01:17:19 PM »
Re: Water Filters

The U.S. water System is the brand we installed when we built our house back in 96'.....I'm sure they have a wider range of options now than they did years ago. The system has worked efficiently as long as you have the filters changed as needed. Fortunately they still carry my filters even though I now have an outdated system....highly recommend! I believe it's an Indiana company but they sell to distributors nationally.

http://www.uswatersystems.com/us-water-medium-duty-whole-house-reverse-osmosis-system.html?fee=10&fep=11430&gclid=CJep5ob6-MQCFZCLaQodBQ4AHA

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks Jan.  I'll check them out.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Here's an interesting bit of information regarding RO drinking water. When attempting to donate blood, my sister failed the hematocrit tests, which tests for anemia (apparently a score below 13 is failing). The nurse finally asked her if she drank RO water and when she replied, "yes", the nurse told her to drink at least a few glasses of tap water a day and she'd be fine......RO water can be devoid of several minerals, iron included. After a week of drinking tap water, her test was fine.

When we were at the infectious disease doctor last week, he recommends drinking tap water because ingesting the stuff in there builds up your immune system. Sooner or later, you're going to be exposed to tap water and you need to be ready! What now?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »
Interesting Jan.   Tap water is a good source of minerals, but sadly, there is so much other stuff in our water like fluoride that can only be removed by reverse osmosis.   

You make a good point about losing important minerals as well.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:20:25 AM »
Very interesting point, Jan: we need to poison ourselves slowly, to avoid poisoning ourselves suddenly!  It does make a sick type of sense.  There's probably no avoiding all the toxic chemicals, so maybe we do need to take a few small amounts.  Does give you the shivers, though, doesn't it? I'm now giving my kitchen faucet baleful looks!

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 06:39:06 AM »
Yes, in referring to bacterial stuff in our drinking water, he more or less said that eventually we're going to be exposed via restaurants, etc. so we might as well bite the bullet and allow our bodies to become immune. We didn't discuss the flouride/chlorine issue, which is My primary reason to not drink most tap waters.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:20 AM »
I'm just reading a section on fluoride, in the book Rita recommended, it is scary stuff.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 12:19:30 PM »
And scarier yet, flouride can be absorbed through the skin....in the shower/bath.

Lynda (Fl)

• Wheat-free for 4 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:27 AM »
Added to the chlorine, it makes taking a bath as scary as showering at the Bate's Motel.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
While I'm not sure how effective these are, it does filter (at least) some of the nasty stuff out.....

http://www.purewaterproducts.com/sprite-shower-filters

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:54 AM »
While I'm not sure how effective these are, it does filter (at least) some of the nasty stuff out.....http://www.purewaterproducts.com/sprite-shower-filters

At a reasonable price too!

deanna in AR

• WF Sept. 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2015, 09:46:17 AM »

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »
Govt lowers fluoride level:[/size]http://fluoridealert.org/content/bulletin_04-29-15/

That's big news in my opinion.  And there are some amazing stats in there, such as the fact that 41% of teenagers have fluorosis, and that there are 43 studies that link fluoride to a lower IQ.

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2015, 04:36:38 PM »

Sponsored Links