This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: questions regarding bread substitutes  (Read 4582 times)

sweetjanny

• View Profile
questions regarding bread substitutes
« on: December 16, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
I am new to this and do not have the book yet and working full time and having a child I have little time to read or research until the weekend so I was asking what you use for crunch or bread type substitutes?  Are rice cakes made with 100% brown rice ok?  What else is out there that I can try?  Again, I have little time to bake also so making my own right now is not an option.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: questions regarding bread substitutes
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 06:17:41 AM »
I know that Dr. Davis has some recipes for bread, but I personally haven't tried them.

Many of us have transitioned out of eating bread-like foods because all those foods still end up breaking down into sugar.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »
SJ,

Crunch is a problem because it is not a natural phenomena occurring in the foods that we do eat.  The highly glycemic grains are avoided so your rice cakes or gluten free mixes/breads are not recommended.  No, we do not eat corn chips or any other crispy type foods.  The idea is to keep your carbs lower than 50 per day and keep you fats high.  There isn't any substitution for knowledge.

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 07:11:07 AM »
I'd say nix the rice cakes.....high carb, not to mention the questionable contaminates. Wheat Free Market (https://www.wheatfreemarket.com) has several easy mixes that you might try. Early on, Fudgecake (whatever happened to him??) posted an easy muffin in a cup recipe that I remember as being quite good....it's on here somewhere.

Like Rita, we rarely eat mimic baked stuff anymore....in fact I gave my flours (except for the coconut flour) away to some newly indoctrinated WB friends. We use the coconut wraps sometimes and use the WFF pizza crust once every month or two.....and the WFF flax mix is great to have on hand to make crackers for guests. My need for crunchy stuff seems to be satisfied with celery sticks and cucumber slices and bacon bowls.

Jewwell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »
There's absolutely nothing you can buy in the stores that's any good other than the Wheat Free Market.

I love the focaccia flatbread recipe in the 30 Minute Cookbook. You do have to make it yourself but it doesn't take long.

The bread in a cup, baked in the microwave only takes a couple of minutes to make.
Mix in a cup: 1/3  cup flax meal, 1/3 cup almond flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, pinch of salt, 1 egg, 1 tblsp olive oil, 1 tblsp. heavy cream. Microwave for about 1 minute.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
I don't keep heavy cream in the house yet.  Can I use something else?  I'd like to try this.   ;)

Linda R

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »
I recently began using the regular coconut milk, the one in a can, as a substitute for heavy cream in my baking and it works great. I keep one or two cans in the pantry all the time.
Don't buy the low fat, get the regular.

Jewwell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 06:20:07 PM »
As Linda said, you could use coconut milk or even just regular cows milk or even water. It probably wouldn't make all that much difference.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »
I keep the small containers of milk (the ones kids usually use for school) available.  It's the Horizon Organic 1%.  I only have one cup of coffee a day in the morning and that is really the only time I use a small splash of milk.  Probably equal to a teaspoon.  I will try the coconut milk to see how it comes out.  Thanks.   :)

Randal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »
The higher fat milks and creams are better for you. A lot of the nutrients are in the fat. We've been indoctrinated to be fat-phobic for so long that we turn away from the healthy options.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 06:42:53 AM »
That is true about the fat.  When I run out of this batch, I will replace with the regular milk.  I like them in these little kid size boxes because I am single so I don't use more than a little for one cup of coffee a day.  I just hope Horizon Organic has the small size in the regular milk.   :)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:54:31 AM »
You can freeze milk in portions that are suitable for your use.  Small containers like the size of baby food jars work very well.  Fill the container 6/8 full to allow for expansion when it freezes.  Take out one and let it defrost in your fridge overnight. Shake before using to distribute fat. 

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »
Thanks for that tip.  I have really small Mason jars that I have used for jelly in the past.  I can use those and put them in the freezer.  Then it will be worth it to buy a quart container of the organic milk.  Thanks for the tip.   :)

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:13:45 PM »
I have now bought regular fat organic milk and broke into down into my small glass canning jars and they are in my freezer so I have that organized.

I tried the bread in  the mug today and it was very good.  I cooked it longer than I should have because it rose so fast, I thought it was going to overflow the mug.  At least now I know a quick way to make it when I want it.  I just had one small round slice as it was hard from cooking too long.

Speaking of bread/flour, I have noticed a possible strange reaction to even the approved flours.  I had ground up some chick peas last night and mixed it with only egg and made small dumplings.  While I didn't get violently ill, I felt a little off and fell asleep immediately after for about an hour and 1/2.  Today, when I sampled only 1 small slice of the mug bread (the size of round coffee cup, while I enjoyed it, I noticed that within 1/2 an hour, I felt a little light headed and started to get the beginning of a headache.  This recipe was made with almond flour, flaxseed meal, olive oil and eggs.  Could I be reacting to even the safe flours??  Is it because my body isn't quite used to the WB yet or can I just be extra sensitive to flours more than I thought??

Jan in Key West

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 06:15:00 AM »
Littlbit......Just guessing here but you might be overly sensitive to the Phytic acid/phytates in nuts, seeds and/or legumes or the flours themselves might have become rancid as they are quite fragile in that respect.

littlbit

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
Hey Jan - thanks for the tips.  The flour is all new and fresh.  The only odd thing to me is that I used Coconut and Almond in the past and never a problem.  I might be sensitive to the Chickpea flour.  The lightheaded, dizzy feeling only lasted probably for less than a minute and then went away.  I'll have to start tracking what I make and with which flours, to see if it continues or happens repeatedly.  Then maybe I can pinpoint it to something specific.  I'm a little over a month into the WB program and have already lost 9 lbs so I'm happy.  Maybe my body is still cleaning out or adjusting. 

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

Sponsored Links