This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Pan Fried onion Dip and Spread  (Read 1917 times)

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
Pan Fried onion Dip and Spread
« on: December 19, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »
PAN FRIED ONION DIP AND SPREAD

2 large yellow onions sliced into 1/8th inch rounds (or spiralize)
4 TBS butter or ghee
1/4 cup oil
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 oz. cream cheese room temp.
4 oz. sour cream (1//2 cup)
4 oz. mayo (1/2 cup)

Heat butter and oil in fry pan on medium heat.  Add onions, cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper and saute' 10 minutes, stirring a bit.  Reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes more until the onions are caramelized  browned.  Let cool.

Place cream cheese, sour cream and mayo in a bowl using an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor.  Blend well.  Add onions and mix again.  Let sit together for at least an hour or overnight. You can add a caramelized clove of garlic if you wish.

I found this adaptation of an Ina Garten recipe on Yahoo.  I used it to cover a piece of cod, which I then broiled.  It was super good!   It is good for spreading on vegetables or even meat.  You can thin it a bit to make a it like a sauce.  Very versatile.  Good to spread on our breads, but bring it to room temperature first.  I've also used this instead of Boursin and plain cream cheese.  With the holidays at hand, I used sliced cucumber rounds, spread this on top and added a small piece of smoked salmon or sliced meat or just plain dip to serve company. 

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Pan Fried onion Dip and Spread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »
Looks good!   I have 2 gatherings at my house during the holidays, and they are all appetizer parties.    This is perfect for the veggie tray.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 07:50:56 AM »
Quick question.   Would you chop up the onions very small if you were to use this as a veggie dip?

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Rita,

Yes, I would make sure they are thin rounds and chopped fairly small.  You need a chopped size more than a mince so that when you saute' them, there is enough surface for the onion to brown.  I have thinly sliced the onion and then, after caramelizing them, cut it into 1/2" pieces which worked just fine.

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:51:21 PM »
Excellent.  Thanks Barbara.

Lila

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:35 PM »
Oh great! I was just making my list for DH and my New Year's Eve eat-ables because I'm doing my shopping tomorrow. I wanted to do an onion dip but the packaged stuff has sugar and other processed crap. This will be excellent. I'm going to do some of Danielle's (Against All Grain) meatballs, Gourmet Girl Cooks cheddar "crackers", veggies, and Barbara's onion dip. And I bought some cheap bubbly brut that we'll probably pour out after taking a sip.

We're set. Thanks Barbara!

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:44:29 AM »
Lila,

DO NOT WASTE YOUR CHAMPAGNE!!!!  You can use it like a wine sauce to saute' fish or sea food!  Basic recipe is: heat oil/butter in fry pan, add chopped onions and/or garlic.  Stir until just beginning to get browned.  Add your washed and dried fish/seafood.  Add 1/2 cup or so the champagne to pan.  You want the liquid to be about half way up the side of the fish.  Cover and cook until the protein is opaque.  Remove protein, add any additional spices and reduce sauce a bit.  Pour over your fish.  This is like a scampi type recipe.

In fact, the champagne can be used in any recipe that calls for a white wine.  This adds just a hint of sweetness without adding sugar or any sweetener.  The bubbles and alcohol cooks out and the carbs are negligible.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:44:29 AM »

Sponsored Links