This forum is created by people who follow the Wheat Belly Diet, as a place to communicate with each other about various topics. Please note that this site is a user created site, and not one of Dr. Davis' sites.

Author Topic: Attacks in the comments section... why I sometimes hate the internet  (Read 2864 times)

Randal

• View Profile
I was reading this article off a link from Diet Doctor today:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/22/7433721/vlad-on-real-food

Just for giggles, I decided to look at the comments section. Holy heck. People are getting attacked for wanting to eat real food... that it's snobbery and a sign of too much wealth... and it's bad for the planet's growing population... how dare you go to a nutritionist because you're in pain... wheat allergies are all in your mind.

Makes me want to go to the woods and live off the land. What is wrong with people?

Rita

• Administrator
  • A student of nutrition
    • View Profile
Re: Attacks in the comments section... why I sometimes hate the internet
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »
I was reading the 2014 was the year of food wars.   

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »
Randall,

Just chalk it up to their GRAIN BRAINS.  People don't like to change their favorite foods.  For some, a life without mac 'n cheese is a day without sunshine.
Or pizza.  Or a sandwich.  Most of the comments are probably trolls from the wheat lobby. 

Linda R

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 03:40:04 PM »
And it doesn't seem to matter which subject is being discussed. Due to the anonymity of the internet, posters can be as mean, nasty and as cruel as they wish.

I also believe that the trolls are ALWAYS on the net. Everywhere. Waiting to pounce.

Case in point.
I am a huge fan of Tiger Woods.
Yes, he has made some dumb decisions in his personal life. Who hasn't?
To me, he is the greatest golfer ever,and, if he's not playing, I don't watch.
BUT, whenever an article about Tiger appears, the trolls come out in droves and the comments are beyond disgusting.

I've learned not to read them if I don't want to ruin my day.

Barbara from New Jersey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Social media is new.  Comments on Yahoo articles about nearly anything are often illiterate and mean spirited.  You don't need to sign in to an account to comment.  Even reading reviews of recipes always seems to have at least 10% of the reviewers panning the recipe even though they have changed it significantly and don't state the reasons why they didn't like it.  Because you are anonymous, your words make you important no matter how ridiculous your comments are, especially for those poor souls who are too timid to state their opinions in a public group discussion.  This sense of empowerment seems to be creating a portion of society who like to be as vicious as possible, taking out their aggressions on the topic or other posters.  Sometimes the comments are downright scary.  Often, even the comments on Amazon are made by shills for a competing product.  You would laugh at some of the message board comments about stocks. 

In my way of thinking, I just ignore most of the comments and think that they are written by the same people who write those scandal sheets at the supermarket checkout or by aliens living in human form! 

LibbyMe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 08:54:53 AM »
I'm on Facebook with several links and my-oh-my the drama one sees sometimes.  I want to say "grow up!"  I used to be in 2 or 3 WB support groups but left them because of the drama.  People would come in there, not reading the book and ask questions over and over.  Folks would try to answer (meaning help) them, then they'd get all surly and snarky telling the helper/folks they were attacking them.  I think it goes with the territory of the internet.  IF the admins aren't on top of things (Thank you Admins here) and police that...it can get out of hand.  Quite fortunately I did find a WB site that has been quite good for support etc., besides this one! ;)

mosey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
That is why this forum is so important & thanks to all of you for keeping it sane.

jones

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:03 PM »
Definitely.  I appreciate it.

Comments, I rarely read them.  Sometimes I will read reviews on Amazon. 

ldyrdr4311

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »
Social media is new.  Comments on Yahoo articles about nearly anything are often illiterate and mean spirited.  You don't need to sign in to an account to comment.  Even reading reviews of recipes always seems to have at least 10% of the reviewers panning the recipe even though they have changed it significantly and don't state the reasons why they didn't like it.  Because you are anonymous, your words make you important no matter how ridiculous your comments are, especially for those poor souls who are too timid to state their opinions in a public group discussion.  This sense of empowerment seems to be creating a portion of society who like to be as vicious as possible, taking out their aggressions on the topic or other posters.  Sometimes the comments are downright scary.  Often, even the comments on Amazon are made by shills for a competing product.  You would laugh at some of the message board comments about stocks. 

In my way of thinking, I just ignore most of the comments and think that they are written by the same people who write those scandal sheets at the supermarket checkout or by aliens living in human form!

Barbara: That's what is called "separating the wheat from the chaff"!

Wheat Free Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:48:42 AM »

Sponsored Links